It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I shut the doors!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
My business that I have had for over 25years is officially over today.

I didn't renew my business license for my design studio where my GF and I have made a very good living for a long time. The poor economy has driven us out of business. I can't afford raw materials, gasoline being $2.50 again has kicked the profit out of our small manufacturing studio because we can't afford to travel and market our products.

I had to lay off my faithful employees last year.

It's not all doom and gloom however because the new growth industry here in New Mexico is the Movie business. I have found plenty of work as an actor/extra/crew with the production companies that are bailing from Hollywood and relocating here.
So far 20 movies and 4 TV shows for me and it's just beginning.

I'm sad at not being able to continue the profession I was trained in, designer/craftsman, but excited about the new direction my life has taken.
And my band is still playing most weekends. Click on my sig and give a listen. Feedback appreciated.

It's all good!!

[edit on 17-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm so sorry whaaa

it sounds like you're handling it OK - but - the end of something that was a dream and part of your life is always a little sad

on the other hand - it's the only way to start something new

what kind of design did you do - besides what I already know

unless you're just not in the mood - in which case - never mind

onward and upward

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Thanks for the nice sentiments S. They are very much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm sorry to hear that whaa. I'm on the same path, just on the other side of it.

Here I sit with my business license and all the time in the world, but my school debt combined with trouble finding money is making opening my business impossible. I save every dime I can find, sit on all my great production equipment, and get free chili from my friend's deli so I can eat at least one meal a day.

When do we get a break for all our hard work? My debt only increases while all my good ideas and talents go unused.

I'm not ready to join the rat race. I can't sit at a desk all day.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus

I'm not ready to join the rat race. I can't sit at a desk all day.

I dont recommend it. A cubicle is truly the seventh circle of hell.

Do what you love even if you starve, selling out is not worth it.

Edit to add: Whaaa very sorry to hear about your business closing. Its tough out there right now. Good luck.

[edit on 6/18/09 by BlackOps719]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I dont recommend it. A cubicle is truly the seventh circle of hell.

I so agree - and once you're there - it's almost impossible to get out

even when you do get free - your mind stays there a while longer...

whaaa doesn't seem like a cubicle kinda guy to me - doesn't seem like you would even find him in the lobby - if that close

and to SantaClaus - I'm in a similar situation (without a business degree) but, still - trying to hold on to the dream

hold on as long as you can - but obviously - we all got to do what we got to do at some point - right?

just do it before you have to sell your equipment - you keep that - that's what will get you back again

[edit on 6/18/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
whaaa, I am saddened by your having to shut your doors after 25 years. May your new work/passion keep you busy for the next 25!

And, Spira, that is good advice to try to hold onto the equipment. MrD let go some equipment he could have used now, and every once in a while regrets not having it around, even tho at the time it sounded like the right thing to do.

whaaa, at least you are in good company in these hard, tough times...Eddie Bauer announced bankruptcy...sad.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
whaaa, at least you are in good company in these hard, tough times...Eddie Bauer announced bankruptcy...sad.

Sad indeed....

I went to Jr. High with Ed. and we were on the golf team together at Monterey high.

I heard that he bought a Dairy Queen franchise in Lubbock.
Everyone thought that Dairy Queen was solid, who knew right?
yep, times are tough!!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Whaaa.....I'm so sorry to hear about your closing of your business. I know it was a hard decision, but sometimes the tough thing is the right thing. I had the same situation last year when I chose to close my shop....it hurts. Now you've made the space for something new, it will show up sooner rather than later, and you will be doing something you love again before long. And cubicles....I did that for 6 months last year....well paid, but I very nearly ended up in therapy for it. SOooooo not worth it.

Good luck, and I will be thinking about you.

Cait xxx

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Bless your heart caitlinfae. I'm also sorry about you having to close your shop. I seems that the whole "made by hand" conscienceness is not valued as it once was. Many of the shops/galleries here in the Southwest are closing their doors as well. Tourism is way down and what little disposable money vacationers have available is spent on food or things that are more necessary to everyday life.

I hope your new enterprise is successful; whatever that might be.

blessings

[edit on 20-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I do understand, but I think that more than anything, it's the cost of retail property rentals, and all the other bits that go with them, that just make it impossible really. Customers have no idea how much it costs to run the bricks and mortar side of things. Websites are the way to go, if you can, and I'm working on mine. I think people do still value handmade, but we're all struggling I guess. I still do the same stuff, but the prices for some of it have dropped a little, and there are loads of new products. Diversify and simplify seems to help, if that makes sense.

Do you have a website Whaaa? You gotta post a link if you do.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Hey whaaa,

I am very sorry to hear about your business.
But on the bright side you have 25 years of business experience that is priceless, if you want to start a new venture it will be much easier next time.

I have a business with my wife and I am currently looking for a full time job so we don't need to rely on the business to pay our household bills.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
[edit on 22-6-2009 by TruthJusticeFreedom]

top topics

join