It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Colorado team finds definitive evidence for ancient lake on Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

University of Colorado team finds definitive evidence for ancient lake on Mars

www.eurekalert.org

A University of Colorado at Boulder research team has discovered the first definitive evidence of shorelines on Mars, an indication of a deep, ancient lake there and a finding with implications for the discovery of past life on the Red Planet.
Estimated to be more than 3 billion years old, the lake appears to have covered as much as 80 square miles and was up to 1,500 feet deep -- roughly the equivalent of Lake Champlain bordering the United States and Canada.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Based on recent discoveries it would seem that there is more water on Mars then we ever thought. If there were lakes of this size on Mars then all that water must still be there in some form. If we can find water sources then a manned mission will not be far off.

Here is a recreation of the lake.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2683e8b4583.jpg[/atsimg]

www.eurekalert.org...

www.eurekalert.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/17/2009 by Erasurehead]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I wonder if maybe Mars is our ancient planet after we dumb humans destroyed it.

Anyhow nice find!

I don't think there is life on mars however, but very possible that there once was.

There's way more interesting planets to be looking at right now

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Some of us here believe that there IS water on Mars and that NASA is covering it up!

www.marsanomalyresearch.com

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Good find, I am assuming that recreation is supposed to depict a point when the lake was drying up, right?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
this is very exciting! if they are officially admitting to a lake on mars, i wonder what else they are keeping under wraps. i bet a lot!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I should have added the caption to the picture.
This is reconstructed landscape showing the Shalbatana lake on Mars as it may have looked roughly 3.4 billion years ago. Data used in reconstruction are from NASA and the European Space Agency.

Credit: Image credit: G. Di Achille, University of Colorado

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by earlywatcher
this is very exciting! if they are officially admitting to a lake on mars, i wonder what else they are keeping under wraps. i bet a lot!

They are admitting that there was a like on Mars millions of years ago. Its a start anyway.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
reply to post by jkrog08

I should have added the caption to the picture.
This is reconstructed landscape showing the Shalbatana lake on Mars as it may have looked roughly 3. months ago before the dry season.

Credit: Image credit: G. Di Achille, University of Colorado

I fixed it!

Second line with insightful information.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OKCBtard

very interesting website! I'm going to spend some more time on it and see what's going on.

WHY do you think NASA is covering up the presence of water on Mars? I read your post earlier and just now realized that i am so accustomed to government agencies lying about virtually everything that i accepted it without thinking about it. what would be their purpose in keeping this secret? it seems like knowing it would get people interested and get them more money for exploration.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

wake up, please, and read. it is history, and at once the planet was inhabited--we need to look underground as we do (our) planet : richard hoagland's dark mission is a must read. please read his biography. but he may be another minister of disinfo...

[edit on 06/15/2009 by cydonia19.5]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Here is something to think about. Oxygen is hard to make. Plants do it and lightning under special circumstances can do it. If you have a particle smasher that can do it too , but only on an atom by atom basis.

Mars HAS oxygen. It maybe in small trace amounts but the amounts are high enough to consider the hypothesis that mars may still to this day have microbial life converting carbon into oxygen.

Google it, research it, go into a field of study about it. It would be great if mankind could make it to mars.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

very interesting website! I'm going to spend some more time on it and see what's going on.

WHY do you think NASA is covering up the presence of water on Mars? I read your post earlier and just now realized that i am so accustomed to government agencies lying about virtually everything that i accepted it without thinking about it. what would be their purpose in keeping this secret? it seems like knowing it would get people interested and get them more money for exploration.

Knwoledge is power. When the facts they have given us claim there can not be water on Mars, yet we start to see more evidence pointing to the contrary, it means the people can undermine the supposed "Authorities" on the subject matter. They do not want to disclose it until they themselves have a proper understanding of what is taking place. Plus we all know what the presence of water on a planet indicates, LIFE!

en.wikinews.org...

www.newscientist.com...

www.universetoday.com...

Keep in mind, everytime you see a red picture of Mar's atmosphere, you are being lied to.

images.google.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well I am not surprised, I wonder If NASA will put out a story that contradicts that.

Interesting that they say THAT much water. I was expecting like small lakes or something, a cluster of places. But this could have fed a much larger system of rivers, streams and eventually into oceans.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Do you think nasa would ever announce something like this? probably not lol! I wonder what else they found hmmm

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Chovy]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I believe at one time there was life on mars. I don't know if life underground or whatnot is still present, but I believe it was at one time. There is some pretty convincing pictures from mars that depict statues, pryamids, even the stone face. Which indicates a cvilization at one time on the surface of Mars. This discovery only helps prove that life could exist at one time on Mars.

Perhaps we(human) came from Mars and evolved and adapted over time to be suitable for this planet. Perhaps, the Pyramids were only built to pay homage to the great pyramids on Mars, both built by the same civilization.
And evidence to support this theory isnt available, only speculation, but i present this to you under the premise of this:

If the world as we know it today ended, all civilization ended except maybe 5k, or 10k and you were one of the survivors. Could you build a car, could you build a computer, could you make an EKG machine? we would have to start over from the roots, with just a lil bit of knowledge that the technology was once around, which passed down as tales from generation to generation would become different and become myths and legends. until we make the technology again.

Now imagine if we destroyed our planet but had one close enough that just becoming hospitable, and we only had enough star ships to transport 5k or 10k people, they would be doctors, politicians, scientists, but batteries die out, without plants and factories to make cell phones and machine metal, our technology would be lost, our spaceships would break down and become irrepairable. we would have to start over again, on that planet.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
heh anyone else get a slight giggle out of how they referenced lake Champlain as being not unlike it... home of the legendary 'Champ' lake monster?.

Sure its not got anything to do with the Lake on Mars just an oddity in the article that caught my eye. Wonder what the first ancient martian lake fossil will turn out to be
"hey look martians had dinos to!"... might explain where our lake monsters came from heh.

Edit:- hmm after looking at a map of lake Champlain the martian one does bear some actual resemblance to it.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Telling us what happened here on Earth is more important.
The Space Scam has moved to Mars.

If the Colorado history seekers looked around they might
find evidence of ancient Egypt presence out West in a state
near theirs.

ED: Sure Mars has a clear atmosphere. Its gas and ether like ours
Can they see the stars at night. Just checking their actual location.

ED: There was no rush or water evidence compared to sites
on Earth. The is a crack due to a cosmic collision, no water.

[edit on 6/17/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

[edit on 6/17/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Yeah I've heard there's some big conspiracy about water and life being on Mars.

If there is, it'd be cool if the truth came out. Of course, there could also be a reason they're supressing it, not that I'm condoning concealment.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I'm not sure why the other fellow believes that NASA is hiding stuff, but for me, it's a question of where the money comes from.

For NASA, it comes from the US government. Now, say for instance there HAS been a secret space program and let's say that we have personell on the Moon and mars.

That is an enormous amount of resources, imagine finding a whole new continent on Earth? Full of minerals, metals, maybe oil and natural gas? He3? He4? Not even to mention the fact that you have just 'claimed' an entire planet, without hardly anyone knowing, no opposition and no need to 'share'.

The more people that get up there, the more chance some of this could be discovered (still supposing it exists
), and asked for a cut, so they do there damnest to make sure everyone down here thinks that space exploration is so last decade.

ust a hypothetical situation, but if I where in their position, I would do the exact same thing, if domination and control was my thang.

EMM

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join