It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyers from cleveland considers post 9/11 USA like a police state :

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I know this topic has been dicussed again and again on ATS but this article will bring you the point of view of american lawyers on the patriot act and post 9-11 "anti"-terror security policy.

www.cleveland.com.../base/cuyahoga/1083411750274472.xml?ncounty_cuyahoga

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
So where have the ceaseless raids been? How about the bugged telephones, and the thought police?
For how much of a problem people are giving the Patriot Act, where are the stories of people who have been arrested for taking out the Koran from the library?

I don't particularly believe that the Patriot Act is the best thing since sliced bread, but most of the people who gnash their teeth and stamp their feet are those who have only heard stories of how obviously horrific this Act is; how it is a violation of all these presupposed "givens" to the American populace.

People don't seem to realise that if the government does not actively take a role in pinpointing "terrorists," then we are left as succeptible to attack as we were pre-9/11. The side that bitches about all of these pre-emptive measures being taken is the same side that says we need to keep something like this from ever happening again.

Face is, the terrorists who acted in the United States - and abroad - follow a generally formulaic path of existance. I haven't notised any white christians flying planes into buildings in NYC (Though perhaps this has happend, and the vast right wing conspiracy is covering up the truth?) -- In order for prevention to occur, there is a recipe to follow. Period.

These lawyers are also faintly reminiscent of Lionel Hutz, ambulance-chaser extraordinaire.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The U.K and U.S are currently heading down the police state route the way I see it. The 'war on terror' is the excuse for civil liberties being taken away and more and more people are being imprisioned without trial. It's disgusting the way things are going . Taking way freedom doesn't honour the dead of 9/11 . .

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This should be simple. You shouldn't be able to suspend the Conctitutional rights of an American or the human rights of a human being. Not even if you try to say it's to protect you. I believe that any attempt to do so should be considered treason.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Excellent point there AdmiralGates, you speak the truth! If only people like you were the actual adnmirals in this world. . .

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Here's what I think....let 'it' be deemed "treason" all it needs to be to be effective.
If your doing nothing questionable or wrong, you have no worries, do ya?
I suppose what Abraham Lincoln did during the Civil War would be considered "treason" also?
Riiigghhttt.

seekerof

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Here's what I think....let 'it' be deemed "treason" all it needs to be to be effective.
If your doing nothing questionable or wrong, you have no worries, do ya?
I suppose what Abraham Lincoln did during the Civil War would be considered "treason" also?
Riiigghhttt.

That's like saying that it doesn't matter what cops do to criminals or that convicts could be beaten, and as long as it is effective, it's ok. But since we don't commit crimes, that we should have nothing to worry about.

Fact is, is that change starts small. It would be impossible to outlaw the consititution, but to slowly take it apart piece by piece can be pushed past the masses fairly easily.

It does work both ways however, namely in the liberals or communist ideals or wealth redistribution and the like.

seekerof

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
IS one of the biggest fecal nuggets of contrarian logic going these days. I've been burdened with tales from my Black friends on "DWB" (Driving While Black).
Unsubstantiated fear & paranoia is no starting point for legislation.

new topics

top topics

join