It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangers Of Leaving Kids In "Hot" Cars...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Leaving Children / Pets In “hot” Cars… Don’t Do It !

Summer is fast approaching and just as we hear every year, someone will leave a child or a pet in a hot car, unattended. The result is usually death.

Please take a moment and think, before leaving anyone in a car unattended, a child, an elderly person or even the family pet.

Here’s some info :

Your family car is one of these 'hidden dangers,' and it is not just because of car accidents. In addition to the risk of getting hit or run over by a car, being left or getting trapped in a hot car can be just as deadly a danger

To keep your kids safe:
· don't leave them in a car, which can quickly heat up, especially on a hot, sunny day
· always lock your car and secure the keys so that your kids can't get to them
· warn your kids about playing in the car by themselves without adult supervision
· install a trunk release mechanism, so that they can't get trapped in the trunk
· get your kids out of the car first, and then worry about getting the groceries, etc., out of the car when you get home
· make sure that child car providers and day care workers have a plan to make sure that kids aren't left in the day care providers car or van
If you are afraid that you might leave your sleeping infant or toddler in their car seat when you get out of the car, place a reminder on the dashboard.
Also be on alert for cars that might have an unattended child left inside. If you see a child alone in a car, be sure to call 911 and help make sure the child gets out as soon as possible.
And when a child is missing, in addition to checking the backyard pool and any other bodies of water, be sure to check inside the car and trunk of any nearby vehicles.

also…

Kids in Cool Cars
The danger of being left alone isn't limited to kids getting overheated. Simply leaving the car running and the air conditioning on doesn't make your child any safer, even if it is just for a few minutes. Your child might be abducted, put the car into drive, or even get caught in a closing power window. So use the drive-through if it is available or take your kids inside, even if you will just be a few minutes. Don't leave your kids alone in the car. It just isn't safe and it is actually against the law in many states.

Source

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
shameless *bump*.

This is an important issue, that I'd hate to have get lost and someone miss it, who, God forbid, could have prevented a tragedy.

However that being said, I would think it's common sense, not to leave anyone in a car during the summer time, for any amount of time.

Then again, common sense isn't to prevelent these days.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Thanks for the post elevatedone. I never leave my son in the car.. ever. But, I guess there are some people that need reminders. The one part that really ruffled my feathers was this

If you are afraid that you might leave your sleeping infant or toddler in their car seat when you get out of the car, place a reminder on the dashboard.

Really?!? If you need a reminder that your child is in the car then.. Ugh, I don't think I have to say it. You guys already know where I'm going with this one

Like you said though, maybe this thread will help prevent tragedies. Good idea to post it

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yeah, this happens every year. Most tragic. I can't imagine how the parent/pet owner would feel after causing the death of their loved one. I'm sure that's something that would stay with you forever.

Luckily for me, I own neither kids, pets, nor cars, so it's pretty much a non-issue in my life.

Unfortunately it's only a matter of time until we see this on the news.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This would stop if such people were held accountable and charged with manslaughter. But killing your kid by leaving him in a hot car is treated by the law the same as killing your kid by speeding or drunk driving or running a red. The killer just says " hey dood - it was an accident" and the matter is dropped.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
Thanks for the post elevatedone. I never leave my son in the car.. ever. But, I guess there are some people that need reminders. The one part that really ruffled my feathers was this

Really?!? If you need a reminder that your child is in the car then.. Ugh, I don't think I have to say it. You guys already know where I'm going with this one

Like you said though, maybe this thread will help prevent tragedies. Good idea to post it

Ever forgotten that your child was in the car while driving? Because, it is the same thing.

It isn't hard to do, particularly if you are out of your regular agenda. Which a new baby and a tired parent is exactly that all the time.

For women, a good idea is to place your purse in the back seat too. This way you have something you are accustomed to grabbing that requires you too turn around.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Really?!? If you need a reminder that your child is in the car then..

I forgot to drop my son off at daycare on the way to work one day, granted I was still in the car with him, but I drove right past the building and didn't realize it till he asked why I didn't take him to "school". Got distracted and forgot he was back there since he was being unusually quiet that day. So it happens sometimes, even to people who never would even think of leaving their kids in the car.

Thanks for the reminder elevatedone. Too many kids have died from sitting in the hot car while their parents go buy groceries. The same things apply during the winter, plenty of children have died from the cold when being left unattended during the winter months as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Sort of off topic, but not...

Also remember during the summer to give your kids/ the elderly / pets, plenty of water to drink.

Especially those kids playing outside.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Just last year we've had two of those cases in our neighboring country Belgium...

A young mum rushing to work in her car on a sunny day made a fatal error when she forgot that her five-month-old son was still strapped into his baby-seat in the back.

Cathy Ranson (31) parked as usual at 8am outside the laundry where she works in Halle, Belgium and when she returned eight hours later her son, Guy, was still in his seat - dead from dehydration.

Mrs Ranson, who was said to be stressed from coping with a job and a family, took her three children in the family's saloon car when she set off for work on the day of the tragedy.

First she stopped to drop off the two elder children, aged five and seven, at their school in Halle, Belgium. But she forgot to stop again two miles further on to deposit Guy at his nursery.

She did not realise the mistake immediately after work and drove to the nursery with Guy dead in his seat, fixed facing backwards.

I hope the family of this little guy are getting through this terrible accident and i hope the mother can forgive herself. Man, imagine having to live with something like that on your conscience.......

Peace

[edit on 18/6/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It's amazing as a society that we have to remind people to use common sense concerning the life of another , especially one that depends on you everything.

there are too many selfish, self centered people with children that need to get their priorities in order. I personally have no sympathy for those that cannot take the time to ensure the safety of their child. There is nothing more important that you are doing that warrants forgetting you left your child in a car.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Why did you remove that post above ?

What's so unreasonable about pointing out how "Nanny State" the OP's position is ? Does he/she consider us so stupid that we need reminders to provide our children with water during hot weather ?

The post was only moderated because one Mod was looking out for another, simple as.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
You know, i work for a pharamcy store. And EVERY year ive been thier, 13+ years, eery hot n humid new england summer we get here, in august/aeptember, maybe like 2 or 3 times, thiers a mom running around the store,, tring to get in line..they all say the same thing...im in a hurry, ring me out quick i left my car running with my son/aughter in it. I always fgive them that wide open empty stare back, like WTF lady are yuo sick in the head or something?
their was a woman i remember reading about last year, enar wher i live, in plice blottr in paper. Asian woman, early 30's went into a local variety store. Soemone thier called the police, casue it was 98 degrees outside, not including the humidity factor. The windows were shut, nto even cracked. so the police broke the window of her car,a nd rescue the 3 year old. She tiold the officerrs, she was gunan come right back out...form what i remember, this was the 2nd time she ahs done this! and was releaed on a written promise to appear in court. so whatever happened aftr that i dont know.
Sad, when we bring anew life into this world, raise it and give it as much love or more, hoping they get ahead are smart and know more than yuo ever will...and here is what some do..and its always a woman who does ( no sex pun intended, jsut happnes to be women i read about)..misuse and abuse of a new life, willingly knowing the kid could die, but her stupid paper, tampax, and maybe jsut a pack of ciggs, racing to get ahead of the line or cut in, mattered more. sick.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but when I was a kid, if it was hot we would just roll the windows down...and if thirsty walk over to the drinking fountain and get a drink. Are kids so retarded nowadays that they have no will or smarts to stay comfortable without permission from mommy or daddy?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Do you have children, Kajin?

I'm sure most people who've had long-term responsibility for a child will remember at least once when they fell down in their responsibilities as parents.

I've always tried to put my kids first, and I just couldn't live with myself if I let anything bad happen to them, but I've been less than perfect.

Once I forgot to pick my daughter up from child-care.
Once I ran to answer the phone, leaving a child in the bath, found a fire had started in the living room. Baby nearly drowned.
Once I left my two young sons at the supermarket and had put away all the groceries before I realised the house was too quiet.
Once I lost my 4 year old at the beach.

Yes, they were all my fault. But chronic exhaustion and being a daydreamer played a part too. I can only thank god that I was lucky, my incompetence didn't kill them.

Most parents, especially overworked single mums with no support, are going to make a mistake. If no-one who made such mistakes had children, mankind would quickly go extinct.

I'd suggest we give most parents who allow their children to die this way the benefit of the doubt. They made a terrible mistake.
And they will pay in grief for the rest of their lives.

On the other hand, I'm glad it is now illegal in my state to leave any child in a car while you go to the pokies.
That's pure stupid selfishness which I see no excuse for.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
. . .
here is what some do..and its always a woman who does . . .

I doubt anyone else here is ignorant enough to believe only women do this, but just in case:

Baby dies -- left in hot car all day by dad in Concord

The father, 46-year-old Danny Takemoto of Benicia, left home early Wednesday with his son strapped into a child seat, according to Concord police Lt. David Chilimidos.

The boy was identified Thursday by the Contra Costa County Coroner's office as 11-month-old Ian Takemoto.

The man did not stop at the child care center and went directly to his office at a medical equipment company at 4040 Nelson Ave., parking his car, a blue Honda sedan, in the lot near the office.

His wife phoned him at work shortly before 3:30 p.m. to ask why the child care facility had called her to report that her son was not there. In horror, Takemoto raced outside to the car and found the lifeless body of his son still strapped in the car seat, Chilimidos said.

Officials ID baby found dead in El Cerrito car

Authorities are investigating the death of a 4-month-old boy who died after his father left him alone in a car at the El Cerrito BART station.

The child was identified Tuesday as Everett Carey.

Authorities say the boy's father normally would drop him off at day care in the morning before driving to the BART station. The mother went to the station after learning her son never showed up at day care Monday and found Everett unconscious inside the 2006 Chrysler around 5:30 p.m.

The boy was declared dead at the hospital shortly after.

Temperatures in El Cerrito were only in the high 60s or low 70s, but experts say young children can be at hyperthermia risk even in such mild weather.

Child Dies After Being Left Alone In Car

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- St. Johns sheriff's deputies said a 12-month-old child died after being left in the back seat of a car late Sunday morning. Investigators said the child's father had taken the mother to work and did not realize she had placed the infant in the back seat of the car. Upon returning home, the father went inside, realized the little girl was not in her room and began to search for her.

According to authorities, the father found the child in the back seat of the car and called 911 immediately. Rescuers took the infant to the hospital, but the little girl was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Deputies say there were other adults in the home at the time and that the incident appears to be accidental, though they are still investigating.

The Unlovin' Oven

Jared Andrew Lewis (11 montjs old) of Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, dead on arrival on 24 June 1997. His father left him alone in the car for 45 minutes while he smoked pot at someone's house.

Stupidity comes naturally to humans.
We all suffer from it on occasion, male and female.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
I'm sorry, but when I was a kid, if it was hot we would just roll the windows down...and if thirsty walk over to the drinking fountain and get a drink. Are kids so retarded nowadays that they have no will or smarts to stay comfortable without permission from mommy or daddy?

Im sorry, but you must not realize that most cars today are not equipped with handles to roll down the windows. And on top of that, most of the kids that are dying are very very young kids and babies. Please, how are these tiny humans suppose to get the key, turn on the engine and turn on the AC or roll down the windows?

The problem are idiot parents who dont think past their own needs and lock up their kids in these cars and leave them. It does not have to be long periods of time. Cars heat up very very fast and get very very hot.

On a 75 degree day, the interior of a vehicle can reach over 100 degrees in about a half hour. Studies show that the interior temperature will continue to increase about 45 degrees every hour.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV

Yes, that must be it.
Why didn't the rest of us think of that?

Those kiddies I listed -
- before the heat knocked them unconscious, they should have just unlatched their harnesses, climbed out of their baby carriers and then hot-wired Daddy's nice, new car to start it so the windows would open.

After all, any baby unable to do these things, is obviously a Baskett case.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Here is some testing done on cars - and the temps inside of them on a hot summer day

Never Leave Your Child in Your Car Alone

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I forgot to drop my son off at daycare on the way to work one day, granted I was still in the car with him, but I drove right past the building and didn't realize it till he asked why...

I know I saw a documentary, or perhaps a "60 Minutes" -type segment from news show about this phenomenon. It is surprisingly common, there were Human psychological factors at work. It was never intimated to be intentional, but instead there's something about a familiar routine that when interrupted for some reason can fool someone into thinking they've already done a task.

It is so tragic, and heart wrenching, to see the parents that were in agony because of their mistake. Some parents described how they used little mnemonic tricks to remind them...like keeping the diaper bag on the passenger seat, or hanging a reminder on the mirror or gear shift.

It's since most baby seats are in the back, now...and some face backwards...another trick was to make sure the seat was located in view of the interior rearview mirror....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join