It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama, Lee warn North Korea; missile on the move

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Obama, Lee warn North Korea; missile on the move

www.washingtonpost.com

SEOUL (Reuters) - The leaders of South Korea and the United States told North Korea to drop its atomic ambitions and stop threatening the region while media reports on Wednesday said Pyongyang was moving ahead with plans to launch a long-range missile.

After a summit with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak in Washington on Tuesday, U.S. President Barack Obama said a nuclear-armed North Korea would pose a "grave threat" to the world. He vowed new U.N. sanctions imposed for North Korea's May 25 nuclear test would be strictly enforced.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
How many times it this crap going to go on? We asked him nicely not to build nukes, then we gave him a stern talking to, now we really mean it! If he had Oil in his country, we would have been there yesterday. Either way, I am tired of hearing about this bonehead. What does it take ?

How much is enough?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Is this long range missle another test or is it another "satellite"? Just where do they plan on aiming it I wonder?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
No this isn't a sattelite launch.I think that this might be a perfect time to test our Airborne Laser System. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Missile gets handled and we can see if we got what we paid for with the ABL.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

maybe he will tell us where it's going. One thing is for certain, everyone will know when and where is launches from. I just can't figure this out. This is a no win situation for NK. If they launch a first strike, they will be vaporized. If they keep poking the badger with the sharp stick, it will soon bite, and you guessed it, vaporized. I can see one guy being crazy, but wouldn't some of his followers whisper in each others ears and maybe push him down the stairs or something? I will put this in the box marked "things that make no sense to me."

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well they have 100,000 artillery cannons pointed at Seoul, so we can't really do anything. The nuclear issue may force our hand though. But how do we get them to dismantle if negotiations fail if not a surgical strike. But this may cause the North to start firing on the South, and in that case millions will die before we can destroy all their cannons. I don't think the North will use any nukes in an attack unless they are on the verge of being defeated, so we need to make sure all sites are taken out in the early stages of a war. And that also means missile silos as well as they have biological weapons as well.

So the question is what do we do:

1. Wait for them to attack and just fight a conventional war, whilst restraining the use of any nukes unless they detonate one first killing our troops or ally troops or ally civilians. Which we then blast them to hell with ours. This is most likely as the US will definitely act when forced to act to defend allies.
2. Go for a surgical conventional strike using bunker busters and whatever else we have that will do the job. Note this will be costly and since the US is skint and every bomb used may have to be replaced by a new one, this option may not be favourable.
3. First nuclear strike by the US on N.Korean army, headquarters, bases, missile silos and other essential targets whilst avoiding too many civilian casualties. I've heard this option a few times mentioned on here and I've considered it myself as a plausible option. But after thought it's probably not going to happen. The key points are this will prevent many deaths in the South from artillery fire, but we don't know exactly how the radioactive fallout would affect countries nearby and the rest of the world. And it would be killing many more N.Korean civilians. And China/Russia border N.Korea and therefore make this option crazy. lol.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

How many times it this crap going to go on? We asked him nicely not to build nukes, then we gave him a stern talking to, now we really mean it! If he had Oil in his country, we would have been there yesterday. Either way, I am tired of hearing about this bonehead. What does it take ?

It’s my opinion there is something here none of us on the *outside* know about.
Something way more than there just isn't any oil, or the USA is spread *too thin* to take on N.Korea.

Whether it’s behind the scenes China telling the USA to be mighty careful - or they’ll call in all the loans and everyone in the states will be eating spring rolls... OR something else, I don't’ know.

But I’m telling you there’s a LOT more to this than any of us have a clue to , and obviously the PTB aren't telling.

I still believe the USA set up N.Korea just like they did Saddam Hussein (use them then make them the fall guy) and now it seems the time has come to find out the *WHY*...

Whatever it is, we may never find out, or maybe we will...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Dog and Ponny. Those are the two words to describe what is going on here. Arm flailing is another of my favorites. This will go on until some announcement stating that Kim is dead, and then his son will take the helm.

At that point, China, and the US will stop at nothing to get him to play ball their way. I doubt anything serious will come from this. They will probably test another missile, Obama will write a letter, Kim will burn it...End of story.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think Silo13 is on the right track, as with most of the things that make no sense at the time. But no matter what, NK is going to look bad. Start a war, you look bad, keep talking about starting a war, you look bad. Go and hide after talking for weeks about starting a war, yea, you look bad.

One question though, If we put him in power, why is it that we only do that with nut jobs?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
To me it is really about Seoul and SK.

They are the ones who will suffer tremendous losses.

Let's hope cool heads prevail. Kim appears to be a maniac bent on self destruction.

China where are you???? Step in and be a world hero!!!

The US within minutes could, with it's submarine force alone, reduce NK to an uninhabited wasteland.

The only people who will suffer will be the Koreans. China is the key, they need to reign in this mutt!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Cause only nut jobs are willing to do the things that are required in order to get into that position.

We don't choose revolutionaries or good people for these jobs, we choose the greediest and most ruthless person available. Why? They are usefull, but expendable.

~Keeper

top topics

join