It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Technology Upgrade for ATS (Friday downtime planned)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This is not good. Without Mutter, Chat or ATS, I'll have nothing to do on Friday. Oh, yeah! We could have a massive Skype Off....... www.belowtopsecret.com...

Thanks Bill, nothing like some new gadgets to break in over the weekend.

-Dev

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The baby's growing up.
I'd say congratulations are in order all round.

Should we hold a Bar Mitzvah?

A first communion?

Or perhaps an initiation ceremony?

An addition to the forum to help members reach a similar level of maturity might prove useful. How about a new section for discussing basic prerequisites to good posting, such and spelling, grammar, comprehension, logic, probability and statistics, ethics, and I'm sure other educational topics would be found.

This area could include a course of training exercises, completion of which would allow one to be considered as a potential moderator.
Use of the ant gloves in this course would help train moderators to bear the pain caused by some of the more odious posts on the board.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the upgrade and a really big thanks for this site.

This must be the alien technology I've been reading about.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Can we create a special forum for all the reptilian topics?

I've been thinking of names for it. I settled on "Trash Can".

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
He he, well didnt really see that coming haha things have been pretty smooth there for a while. Mayhaps i think it has something to do with an ever expanding video repitoire on the media center.

At any rate I've seen ATS grow alot in 4 years and I'd say good show guys. I'm sure what ever happens it will be for the better!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I trust that this will be a smooth transition and perfect timing for me as I am taking my new Irish Setter\ Golden Retriever in to be neutered that day.

Of all the hassles I have had today this is a piece of good news.

Thanks for making this the best place to get away from it all and chill.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
super nice

What was the former hardware again?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'd rather the site be low-fi and text based. That way less of the sites trajectory will be determined by "Drug-Free America" & "JOshMadeCash".

Sacrifice some speed for integrity. After all, its the tortoise that wins the race.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

And the 1 and the 0 means in 10 more days on 6/29/09 the world is going to end because Nibiru disguised as an asteroid disguised as a UFO filled with greys is going to crash in to Earth so they can fight the reptilians.

Oh but you forgot that 29 is 9 + 2 which is 11, and 6/11/09 rearranged is 9/11/06. So maybe something happened that we do not know about?!

ahh just fooling around.

I am looking forward to the update....

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoFiAnsiDays
That way less of the sites trajectory will be determined by "Drug-Free America" & "JOshMadeCash".

No advertiser influences our content... ever.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Just in case anybody needs a few tips -

Hope this helps !

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Cheers mate, good to know!

Edit: I've also searched in the FAQ and my U2U for the message for Avatar(i can't upload anything for my avatar because apparentally the media place is closed and i can't sign up for an account :<

[edit on 17-6-2009 by allsop]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hey, SO, perhaps you guys should put a

"Please donate to ATS"

Button on one of the main pages, so that those that wish to could donate to the site to help cover some of the costs of running it. God knows you guys, all of you, put enough time and effort into maintaining and upgrading the site.. Even if it where $5-10 donations, or more, it would certainly help in the long run, no?

And it wouldn't be compulsory of course, it would be of each individuals own free will to donate what they can.

Just doin some thinkin.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Initially all activity will be handled by a lightning-fast speed demon master server, with a single slave server acting as a read-only failover should the master go offline. For those into such things, the new server has 16 cores, 8 gigs of RAM, and more importantly, SSD's (multiple solid state drives) in a RAID-10 configuration. Our slave server(s) will be less powerful, but still us SSD's for storage.

Man, your making me dribble already. Sounds great, looking forward to the updates.

reply to post by allsop

Just login to media.abovetopsecret.com with your ATS username and password.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
A glitch in my Friday morning ritual will be different this time.

Wake up, make coffee, have cigarette, check topics on ATS.
(yeah yeah, need a detox, I just read the detox thread)

I'll fit something else in there for one day I guess.

And the solid state drives will be really nice if you accidentally want to erase them in a flash, just hook up some of the leads of the drive to your power supply and leave the circuit open with a switch and make a big red switch on top of the server that says do not push, and if you ever have to push it, it fries the whole chip. I don't see a reason you would have to ever do that though.

Good luck with your upgrade.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Out of curiosity what are you using as ssd 32gb,64 or 128gb and what chipset are you using as the read speed can be over 600mb/s and that is blistering speed which ofc can always be tweaked even further.

P.S. Good Luck with upgrade.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Out of curiosity what are you using as ssd 32gb

32gb

And the chipset is Intel X25-M.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Obviously your going for an above average upgrade, which is good news all round. SSD is the future in more ways than one. Would also like to take the opportunity to ask, since i will be moving forward into the ssd by the end of the year i am at a cross road as to were to locate. I have been considering either Texas or NYC, any input of that sort would be most appreciated.

edit:

the new server has 16 cores, 8 gigs of RAM, and more importantly, SSD's (multiple solid state drives) in a RAID-10 configuration.

We have identical sys set up, the only difference is the move to ssd and the controller amongst other that i need to change. As i mentioned earlier the move to which state has caused me some confusion as i am not located to any of the these states at a driving distance. Obviously service and professionalism are the key factors when you start moving servers around the world.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
dudes you're getting a dell!

congrats on the growth of ats, ive enjoyed being witness to it.

peace

[edit on 18-6-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

YEA! THANKS TONS.

GREAT GOING . . .

uhhhh . . . dare I ask . . .

will this eventually result in any new features along lines any of us have asked for???

Had to ask. Or nag at myself relentlessly for not asking! LOL.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join