It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist Email Aimed At Obama Raises Hackles In Tennessee

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

I didn't say anything of the sort, but I'll take a different tact with the same question.

Btw, the whole point of my post was asking why the joke is funny to anyone. If you find the simple color of someone's skin funny, I don't understand why that's funny.

Should Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor be able to acceptably make jokes about white people? By the common rationale, no they shouldn't. But as long as white people keep laughing at the jokes, they will. And they're free to do so just as much as people are to be upset about it.

When a black/jewish/hispanic/asian/catholic/what-have-you makes a joke about their 'culture' its accepted because they are 'inside'. People don't like being mocked by outsiders because of the natural human sense of some sort of exclusivity that is created by culture and the need to 'protect' it.

And on that note, I'd like to say that if you can't make jokes at your own expense then you probably don't need to make a joke at all. If you can't laugh at yourself, you have little reason to be laughing at others. Something which Chris Rock, Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy all excelled at, which is what really made them funny to me.

[edit on 17/6/09 by TravelerintheDark]

[edit on 17/6/09 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Well that is where people need to get over it.

If the aforementioned comedians can make fun of their own race, so can others.

<< 1   >>

join