It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ensign quits Senate GOP leadership post

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Ensign quits Senate GOP leadership post

my.earthlink.net

WASHINGTON - Republican Sen. John Ensign of Nevada has stepped down from his leadership post one day after admitting he carried on a marital affair with a woman who was on his campaign staff.

Ensign conveyed his decision in a phone call with Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, who said he had accepted the resignation.

Ensign was chairman of the Republican Policy Committee, the fourth-ranking spot in the leadership.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
So the party of "family values" steps in it again.

Personally I could care less if a politico has consensual sex with anyone. But it's the hypocrisy factor that causes the bright light to be shined on the GOP.

You adopt a "family values" platform and run a campaign on were the righteous and pure candidates and those other guys aren't; then you damn well better toe the line once you are elected to office.

Now I expect the posts of well "look what Clinton did"
So what...He didn't claim to be goody two shoes. But my party decided to make political hay out of Clintons human foibles. Is turn about fair play? Reap what you sew?

The reason this is in the Alternative news section is because it deals with sexual secrets within the US government at least until some disgruntled lover rats the perps out.

my.earthlink.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I agree. If a candidate runs on a set of standards and values they need to live up to them. I'm not sure why he stepped down he did not break the law, he could have just waited to be voted out like many politicians do.

Luckily for Democrats they have no standards or values and regularly demonstrate it and get a free pass.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
hey...it's a republican...free pass...water under the bridge...nothing to see here. he voted to have clinton impeached for having an affair...but hey this is a republican, so no need for him to step down and resign...can't wait for FOX NEWS to cover this for 3 days like they are doing about the lettermen joke regarding sarah palin. this behavior obviously must enrage sean hannity, bill o'rielly, rush limbaugh and the rest of the "gang".

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Did John Edwards resign after having an affair with his wife and knocking up another woman while his wife was suffering through cancer treatment and really needed the support of her loved ones?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Or, instead of bashing the man and making a big stink of it, you could just realize that he's humans and as humans we make mistakes.

Do we know for sure that he ran on a family values platform, for sure? Simply because in general a political party has a certain position doesn't mean that everyone in the party has the same position or tacks the same way in their campaign.

Quoted by jjkenobi

I'm not sure why he stepped down he did not break the law, he could have just waited to be voted out like many politicians do.

He probably stepped down because he believed that it was the right thing to do. Especially if he had run on a values platform. If that's not the case, he probably stepped down so that he wouldn't be a hindrance to the rebuilding of the party.

In any event, this will give a fresh face some experience for the future. Which is good for the Republicans.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I agree. If a candidate runs on a set of standards and values they need to live up to them. I'm not sure why he stepped down he did not break the law, he could have just waited to be voted out like many politicians do.

Luckily for Democrats they have no standards or values and regularly demonstrate it and get a free pass.

step down? from what?...he's still a senator, he didn't step down like you imply...and as far as trying to equate this somehow to democrats...he's an evangelical christian who was a member of the "promise keepers" ( a group of men dedicated to being faithful to their wife and family)...so how is that working out for him?

so...the problem is the hypocricy, which can't be forgiven...not the deed itself, which can. that's the difference

[edit on 17-6-2009 by jimmyx]

[edit on 17-6-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

step down? from what?

He stepped down from his leadership post. See the OP.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
hey...it's a republican...free pass...water under the bridge...nothing to see here. he voted to have clinton impeached for having an affair...but hey this is a republican, so no need for him to step down and resign...can't wait for FOX NEWS to cover this for 3 days like they are doing about the lettermen joke regarding sarah palin. this behavior obviously must enrage sean hannity, bill o'rielly, rush limbaugh and the rest of the "gang".

Sigh. Now if only sleazy democrats - and there are many (Kennedy, Pelosi, Feinstein, Reid, Edwards - to name just a few) - would also do the honorable thing and step down from leadership posts, etc.

And how did Palin's name come up again? Seriously, this woman must be the "anti-christ" for some liberals. They can't leave her alone. They can't even think about her without practically foaming at the mouth. Why? Because she's a self-made, conservative woman, that didn't need to assume the "victims" role in order to accomplish what she has. Very similar reason to the liberal's hate of Clarence Thomas.

[edit on 6/17/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by jimmyx

step down? from what?

He stepped down from his leadership post. See the OP.

wow!! he stepped down from a republican leadership post, what a sacrifice he made, he should be given a humility award. where is all those hyperbolic phrases the right uses when, oohh...edwards had his affair?

yeah, everybody knows the senator john ensign "just made a bad mistake"...or..."people are just human"...riiight!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Did John Edwards resign after having an affair with his wife and knocking up another woman while his wife was suffering through cancer treatment and really needed the support of her loved ones?

Now who in the world would do a scum bag callous trick like that?

Newt Gingrich per chance?

www.realchange.org...

What a scum bag! Makes me ashamed to be a Republican!

[edit on 17-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

yeah, everybody knows the senator john ensign "just made a bad mistake"...or..."people are just human"...riiight!!!

Remember, you will be held to the same standard that you judge others with.

what a sacrifice he made, he should be given a humility award

To a politician, it is an incredible sacrifice. Now, he's going to have very little say in Congressional Republican dealings. I hear that you're in the running for the Humility Award as well, by-the-way.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by jimmyx

Sigh. Now if only sleazy democrats - and there are many (Kennedy, Pelosi, Feinstein, Reid, Edwards - to name just a few) - would also do the honorable thing and step down from leadership posts, etc.

And how did Palin's name come up again? Seriously, this woman must be the "anti-christ" for some liberals. They can't leave her alone. They can't even think about her without practically foaming at the mouth. Why? Because she's a self-made, conservative woman, that didn't need to assume the "victims" role in order to accomplish what she has. Very similar reason to the liberal's hate of Clarence Thomas.

[edit on 6/17/2009 by centurion1211]

palin's name coming up again??? have you seen the FOX NEWS coverage for the last 3 days? i guess not. and i guess ALL of those democrats you named, had sex with married office staff? wow...i would like to see that evidence.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The problem with these guys, is that they join things like Promise Keeper's in order to get elected. It looks good on a resume, but it doesn't have much basis in reality!

How many people on this forum would want to be fired from your jobs for secrets you keep from your spouses? It's a tough question, so I will say that in my 2nd marriage, I have been honest from the beginning (not faithful, honest). It is very difficult to be monogamous. It is an elevated state of being, I admire it, but it is not a natural state for humans. I don't know why geese or eagles can do it so easily, but most animals don't, or can't!

So, this guy is an idiot for making unrealistic promises and then not following through with them. He should lose his post for that idiocracy and hypocriticism.

But this will play out that his career fell apart because of the affair. That is false. It is falling apart, because of his dishonesty!!!

Edit to add:
Begin flaming all you want. Most of the ones that jump on board to criticize will many have skeletons in their own closets. If and when I ever run for office, I look forward to taking the wind out of all your sails by coming clean with my past immediately, and then moving on to the real issues our country has!

[edit on 17-6-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Once again, the powers that be have us quibbling over some idiotic Rebublicans verses Democrats thing. Both sides are equally guilty of the same things and only point out when the other side does it. Then the sheep jump in and take the side of their chosen party line. When is what is left of our once great country going to wake up and realize the truth, that the destination of both parties is the same place. They win, we lose. They may take slightly different paths to get us there, but in the end they have us bent over and are taking turns having a go at us. Stop embracing ignorance. We have an illusion of choice, the reality is that they are the same.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by jimmyx

Remember, you will be held to the same standard that you judge others with.

what a sacrifice he made, he should be given a humility award

To a politician, it is an incredible sacrifice. Now, he's going to have very little say in Congressional Republican dealings. I hear that you're in the running for the Humility Award as well, by-the-way.

i was disgusted by edwards affair, and i'm glad he was shown the door, and the clinton affair was equally disgusting. that does not excuse this guy.
and as far as myself "running for the humility award" i don't know what your implying. maybe it's because i'm calling out the right-wing for all their vitriol, as far as name-calling, outright lies, and hyperbolic phrases, that they have used with very little response back from the left.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
Once again, the powers that be have us quibbling over some idiotic Rebublicans verses Democrats thing. Both sides are equally guilty of the same things and only point out when the other side does it. Then the sheep jump in and take the side of their chosen party line. When is what is left of our once great country going to wake up and realize the truth, that the destination of both parties is the same place. They win, we lose. They may take slightly different paths to get us there, but in the end they have us bent over and are taking turns having a go at us. Stop embracing ignorance. We have an illusion of choice, the reality is that they are the same.

i agree with you on that one. discussions held about the real problems this nation is facing should be held in a rational, and logical framework, and should be devoid of name-calling, and childlike bickering.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
When a Democrat does something like this there is outrage toward the man, when a Republican does it the entire party and everyone affiliated with the party is tarred and feathered.

I am not defending the man, he screwed up and he's going to get his due for it and rightly so but unfortunately most Democrats foam at the mouth in order to put the entire Republican party on trial.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I'm disgusted that these men committed affairs as well. But, I personally don't think that screwing up should mean losing your job. Imagine how many of us would be out of work for the skeletons in our closets.

Ensign will suffer the consequences. We needn't "foam at the mouth" attacking him. He's only human. People shouldn't characterize the entire Republican party as being like him because that's simply not the case.

vitriol, as far as name-calling, outright lies, and hyperbolic phrases, that they have used with very little response back from the left.

Both parties are this way and act this way toward the other. No one is excused.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
When a Democrat does something like this there is outrage toward the man, when a Republican does it the entire party and everyone affiliated with the party is tarred and feathered.

I am not defending the man, he screwed up and he's going to get his due for it and rightly so but unfortunately most Democrats foam at the mouth in order to put the entire Republican party on trial.

Are you saying the Republicans don't foam at the mouth and put the Dembs and all Libs on trial for the same kind of behavior.

Do you live in the US?

new topics

top topics

join