It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No National Grocery Chain in Detroit!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

Detroit has the population to have such things, why don't they have them?

Crime, poverty, and a bad reputation. If I was a chain store I wouldn't want to operate in such an area either. They would have to hire tons of security and prices would be through the roof. I think the closest thing Detroit has to a supermarket in any form is a Super Kmart in the city itself. The nearest Walmart to Detroit is over 6 miles...even they don't see it as worth it.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thankfully even communities such as Detroit have ample Farm Land throughout their Suburban Areas!

This sheds a new light on the plan to reduce the size of Detroit by 40% to bulldoze entire neighborhoods and allow them to return to their natural state.

It appears, even with Detroit in a decline economically and population wise, it is still leading America by showing the rest of the Nation how cities, even Metropolitan ones, can find ways to be self-sustaining.

We have grown to dependent on the fragile food distribution chain here in the United States. We expect to get our foodstuffs from overseas or from some invisible person thousands of miles away, rather than from our neighbor or a person we can meet face to face at a Grower's Market. You don't need a Kroger's on every block to sustain a community. Detroit is better off without, just as we all would be.

I know that when I lived outside of Detroit our family had 10 Acres that we farmed to sustain our family (and extended family, and neighbors, and friends) for the entire year. My dad was a weekend amateur gardener, not a farmer, and still he kept ample food on our table from our fields. For miles in each direction were home farms just like ours.

I applaud Detroit for finding alternative solutions in tough times!

Borders? Who needs Big Box Chains that don't do anything for your community other than take your money outside of your community? Detroit still has the internet for that!

Now the moment that the USPS and UPS move out of Detroit, then everyone can start panicking!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by compwiz32190

In other words we have a whole URBAN AREA in which investment is considered a play with loaded dice.

Reminds one of the island nations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. The Dominican has some investment but just a ways away they eat mud for lunch. (Haiti)

This is in the Home of The Big Three, Ford, Chrysler, and GM...just outside of their world head quarters...the people are left destitute while the executives of the Big Three fly around the world playing golf and living large.

What a contrast.

Where is the American dream for the residents of Detroit proper?

It lies in the fact that Americans have lived behind the eight ball before and they are able to work and pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

IMO This is one of the worst problems in the City. When I was going to WSU we had to drive to the suburbs just to get our groceries. Getting beer was pretty easy though, as liquor stores outnumber almost any other form of retailer in the city!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Fell hard? .. More like a not so graceful somewhat slow long drawn out fall..

I've been to Detroit a few times, all but one time because my hockey tourney's took me there every year in High School, but also once because I visited a friends family that, God save them if they still do, lived in Detroit.

It's a (insert dirty word of your choosing) hole.

Has been since my first time there in 2001.

It was the last time I was there in 2007.

Even GETTING to Detroit automatically tells you it's a ** hole.. you drive up I-75 and around a turn you see a hazy outline of smoke stacks and run down buildings. Welcome to Detroit.

Anyone of common sense and decency lives outside -- some very nice suburbs.. but down town.. uhg. It's the single worst city I've ever been to. Those that can are and will leave, those that cant will be stuck there.. the unemployment is insane, the crime is the highest in the nation (much doesn't get reported), seeing cars sitting on cinder blocks is normal. It's the ONLY place I have ever witnessed someone steal a hubcap. Not a fancy set of rims.. a plastic hubcap. I actually cannot even think of one thing to say nice about it. If you do have to visit, and I hope none of you do, don't go in the winter.. it's so ugly and drab that without a hint of blue skies and green trees, it looks like a third world country.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yeah Detroit is in bad shape but just ragging on it doesn't help either. The gameplan is to downsize the city into more concentrated areas, it's a City that once had a population of over a million and now is lucky to have 750,000 to 800,000 people living in it. In many respects, Detroit still thinks like it has that Million plus population, they need to face reality. That equals whole neighborhoods where there are one or three houses with people on a block. It's not a pretty situation to be in, I honestly don't know if it can be fixed, but we have to try. I bet you could pour a Billion or two into Detroit and it still wouldn't make it inviting enough to attract people back to the City proper. Detroit has some small clumps of nice areas, but they are like islands seperated by devestation between them.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I saw a show on TV about how Detroit is overun by packs of wild dogs that actually break into peoples homes and kill them

yet at the same time I saw this awesome gothic brick church that was for sale ,but honestly living in Detroit seems like the best place to practice surviving a zombie holocaust

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Part of the reason there are no super markets in Detroit is because they'll get robbed. I live on the border of Detroit and all the scum comes over here to rob people now. A guy was stabbed walking down the my street on xmas eve. Two girls were robbed at knife point at the park at the end of my street. My xgirlfriends 17 year old sister was stabbed in the neck on promnight at a near by gas station. The list goes on and on. I hear gun shots 3 or 4 times a week coming from across the border. I've heard fully automatic assult rifles. Detroit is a warzone and now the crap is spilling over to here. My cousin had his house broken into while he was home sleeping. He ended up shooting a guy in the chest. Then the brothers in the neighborhood had the audasity to kill his dog and harrass him as if he did something wrong. The video store near by was recently robbed. I told my buddy it's a good thing I didn't see it in the parking lot I would have ran the mother F ers over. I'm fed up.

edit on 11-9-2010 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

If it makes you feel better, the odds of Mahindra actually having a product ready for them to sell is pretty low. I don't want to go any further off-topic but the small pick-up market has been neglected by the bigger automakers for some time now.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
i plan on staying away from the midwest, i have found it is full of retards.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Why would a business want to invest in building/rennovating and running a grocery business in such an economic climate?

I may be wrong, but from what I read, the tax burden in Detroit and even Michigan is overwhelming...then there are the Unions to contend with. I saw the comment that the Unions want to run their own store...so when wages are an issue, will they strike against themselves?

Then, who will shop there? What will be the currency?...WICS, Food Stamps, some cash.

If it is the war zone that even some Detroit natives say it is...what about your profit margins balanced against theft and shoplifting, damage, maintainance, security... there is money to be made in groceries... but the profit margins are fairly thin. Even in successful chains...the GROSS Profit on a can of veggies is one penny.

The real money is made in produce, meat, dairy... the usual perimeter of the store, and tie in items...spatulas, bowls, grills, tooth brushes, etc.

Frankly, if such a venture is a good idea...then I would think that the unemployed and working poor of Detroit could co-op or pool there money and start a grocery store...sounds like a good opportunity for a local entreprenuer or a group.

What's that you say? It's too risky to put your money into? Well then... you and the CEOs of national chains do have something in common.

What? You don't have enough money? It would takes hundreds of thousands of dollars...maybe millions to start up a store. And you just don't have that kind of money. So we need the evil rich people to finance it...even though we overtax them now and punish them for being successful. Well, where's the incentive...the rich investors finance and invest...the store is successful...and then detroit and Michigan tax the hell out of them...

There is really no reason to excell nor invest nor innovate in that sort of climate.

That , in my opinion, is why there are no national chains there...won't make any money, and if you do...you will get it taken away.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Here's a view of the street I grew up on in Detroit.........Take a look in google street view mode. It's almost hard for me to believe what has happened there.

This is an area that was packed with houses, now there are 4 livable ones on my former block. The Pine tree was where my house stood....at least that is still there.

www.google.com...

edit on 20-9-2010 by pavil because: (no reason given)

Can't get link to work.

edit on 20-9-2010 by pavil because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join