It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's Influence Over N.Korea 'Limited'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

China's Influence Over N.Korea 'Limited'

english.chosun.com

China and North Korea are no longer in a close military alliance, and Beijing has only limited influence on the North in the nuclear issue, Chinese experts say.

Yang Wenchang, president of the Chinese People's Institute of Foreign Affairs and a former minister, on Tuesday said, "Many people wonder why China does not exercise influence over North Korea. But history is only history. There has been a big change, and China's influence over North Korea is inevitably limited." He was speaking at a forum on Korea-China relations in Incheon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Yan Xuetong, director of the Institute of International Studies at Tsinghua University, said, "Most South Koreans misunderstand that China attaches more importance to North Korea than to South Korea. But it's not true." Turning to the North's threat to conduct another nuclear test, he said, "Since North Korea is a country capable of making any kind of dangerous choice, we must maintain three principles -- the North and the U.S. should hold dialogue in the long term; inter-Korean relations should be improved; and the North should be included in multilateral talks."

I find this story hard to believe. Especially because China, in this article at least, continues to defend NK and push for more "talking". I should think that if China were faced with a nuclear-armed NK that was no longer listening to them, they would be a little more concerned, no?

I think this is China covering its tail in case the situation with North Korea explodes, so to speak.

Further:

"The North feels its security is threatened by the U.S., so only the U.S. has the capability to find the solution," he said. He called on the Obama administration to change its attitude toward the North.

It also seems that China is "pushing" the US into this thing head first.

Thoughts? I'm beginning to think this whole thing was arranged so China can move ahead with its own agenda.

english.chosun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I am sure china has alot of influence there, and they have buttons they can press, if you get my drift.

I think people like to downplay the role these forces have in other countries, to protect themselves.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Flag for the story and star for the excellent analysis.

It also seems that China is "pushing" the US into this thing head first.

Yes it does. It seems as though they are instigating this thing. I wonder why "The North feels its security is threatened by the U.S."? Could it be because China's been talking to them knowing full well that Kim is very paranoid to begin with?

top topics

join