It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fresh protest under way in Tehran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Fresh protest under way in Tehran

news.bbc.co.uk

Iranian presidential challenger Mir Hossein Mousavi has called for peaceful demonstrations in protest at the result of last week's contested election.
Mass rallies are expected to take place on Wednesday afternoon following raids on several university dormitories and the arrest of two pro-reform figures.
Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has sought to calm tensions and called for an end to rioting.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected last week with almost two-thirds of votes.
Protests have grown since his re-election was confirmed on Saturday, with huge demonstrations in Tehr
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
There is a video that accompanies the news report which is located at the posted link . The video appears to show plain-clothes pro-government militia attacking a university dormitory .

It would seem that this round of riots / protests is not something that has just happened over night . It would seem that in a lot of ways tension between the youth and the Iranian government has been building for some time now and the election was the trigger to the release of long building frustration on behalf of the Iranian people .

There is no telling where and how this will end , many here on ATS have speculated that we may be witnessing the birth of another revolution in Iran , after watching some of the videos and looking at some of the pictures coming out of Iran I would tend to agree with that assumption .

The question is will this escalate or die off ?

Let us also remember the frustration that the Iranian people are showing and let us be aware of there discontent over there government the next time the question of bombing Iran comes up as a bombing campaign by the west would only untie the people behind there government and a potential great opportunity for real change over there may be lost for another 20 or so years .

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Max_TO]

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Max_TO]

[edit on 17/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
So tens of thousands protest but yet Ahmadinejad won by virtually a landslide? Something is not right about their election, my thought is it was completely rigged!

I hope this is not a sign of what is to come.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitybender

Firstly, the media has said 10's of thousands when it's more like 100's of thousands(Tehran) > millions throughout the country.

45 million people voted, millions are protesting throughout the country.

out of those protesting do you think that's really going to make a difference, the country is run by mullahs(not the president).

new topics

join