It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific Theory Regarding The Afterlife

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Hello all,

This has probably been done before but I want to outline a little scientific theory I have regarding the existance of an afterlife or place where we go when we die.

Christianity believes in Heaven & Hell, a place where you go when dead for the good and one for the bad respectively. Most other religions have the same concept, a good place for the dead and a bad place for the dead.

I'm pretty sure everyone has heard of Yin/Yang before but for those that haven't:

In Chinese philosophy, the concept of yin yang ([yin - simplified Chinese: 阴; traditional Chinese: 陰; pinyin: yīn] [yang - simplified Chinese: 阳; traditional Chinese: 陽; pinyin: yáng] eum-yang in Korean; often referred to in the west as yin and yang) is used to describe how seemingly disjunct or opposing forces are interconnected and interdependent in the natural world, giving rise to each other in turn

Link: en.wikipedia.org...

Yin/Yang is the concept of opposites; you cannot have light without dark, hot without cold, male without female, strong without weak etc

Yin-yang is a dynamic equilibrium. Because they arise together they are always equal: if one disappears, the other must disappear as well, leaving emptiness. This is rarely immediately apparent, though, because yang elements are clear and obvious while yin elements are hidden and subtle.

You cannot have hot without cold as there would be nothing to contrast hot with.

Now I know Yin/Yang is chinese philosphy but from a scientific point of view it holds true.

Why is this significant? Because it supports the idea of a good place existing (Heaven) and a bad place existing (Hell)

I realise that man still could of simply made these ideas up but from a philosophical point of view Yin/Yang supports the idea of an afterlife.

Moving onwards:

The most significant result of this distinction is the fact that one can clearly state the amount of internal energy possessed by a thermodynamic system, but one cannot tell how much energy has flowed into or out of the system as a result of its being heated or cooled, nor as the result of work being performed on or by the system. [B]In simple terms, this means that energy cannot be created or destroyed[/B]

Energy cannot be created or destroyed only transformed, there is electrical energy is our brain's and various chemical reactions going on in our bodies. Although essentially this is saying we will die, decompose and our energy will be transformed into the ground.

But if you looked at the human soul as a form of energy then you could ask yourself the question where does it go when we die? Applying the first rule of thermodynamics it has to be transformed or transferred, i.e. it has to go somewhere.

I understand that the above could be classed as pseudo-science when applied to the concepts of religions but I thought it was an interesting application.

Does anybody else have any other scientific theory's regarding where we go when we die?

Cheers,

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I have always found reading about near death experiences fascinating and will probably give you a clue as to what might happen in the afterlife...

try this for size...

www.nderf.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Wow nice post i liked what you had to say although i differ in my views but it seemed to me to be well thought out and a good attempt as any for an explanation to the greatest mystery of man.

My own ideas is that science and religion dont mix as a standard but who knows one day there may be a bridge. I believe in science since it is irrefutable all around me and i believe in god so if god exists and science exists then there must be a bridge between the two and we will learn it one day.

Personally i do think we have a soul and that it does go somewhere but the yin yang idea is one of a natural world. If god does truly exist he transcends his creation meaning he is not part of it but rather seperate. Maybe he is both but definetely above the natural world to be sure so the idea that there has to be as a rule for the afterlife the same laws of the universe in regards to physics is not necessarily true. As a spirit or soul we could possibly live forever in a heaven without a hell. The jews believe this. They believe that when you die how goo dyou lived according to the laws will determine your closeness to God. God doesnt or wont destroy his creation. Christians however see it alltogether different which i am one but i have struggled with the idea that god will allow any part of his creation to suffer aneternity.
Anyways nice thread

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
quantum physicist,Bohm believed plasma behaved like a lifeform and PROMPTLY stopped his research. this might be something to look into.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

Thanks for the link. I was actually going to include something about NDE's after reading a thread about them the other day but couldn't really think about how they would fit in with the article.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I was having this conversation with my Daughter the other day, and I had the same theory. She understands science and enjoys it. But she is borderline agnostic/atheist. I try to teach her about faith, but faith is best learned on your own, and not forced on you. Which is why we have these talks. I think that your energy has to go somewhere, as your body is made up of carbon, water, and energy. Water will evaporate, and carbon will go back into the ground, but energy will remain. It either ascends to a higher plane, or transfers into another object.(IMHO) That would explain the past life experience, and also the white light seen in near death experience. I try to put a lot of energy into making beer so that when I die, my beer will be there waiting for me.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

Thanks for the congratulations!

I like the idea about there being a bridge between Religion & Science, that theyre related in some way but are not interconnected. I suppose the possibilities are endless, maybe God invented Science to control or define our lives on this planet...

You also make a very good point about the concept of Yin/Yang applying to the natural world. I suppose it could be looked upon as quite foolish to assume the laws and principles that affect us here on Earth would also apply in the afterlife.

As you said the whole concept of physics in all likelyhood would be different and you would expect different laws to be in effect.

It's definately food for thought and something thats got me thinking deeply. Just imagining some of the possibilities is mind blowing...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yes energy does get converted but it doesn't go flying off to some mythical plane ie if that was the case everything would have an afterlife from the dog poo in the park to the pizza i just had.Think of it as burning fossil fuels which in turn converts into different types of energy.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Yes energy does get converted but it doesn't go flying off to some mythical plane ie if that was the case everything would have an afterlife from the dog poo in the park to the pizza i just had.Think of it as burning fossil fuels which in turn converts into different types of energy.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Solomons]

Dog poo or pizza don't have souls/spirits though do they?

Can anyone prove the existence of "The Human Soul"

I'm saying if you class our soul/spirit as a form of energy. The term "life force" is often used.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I don't know about making it but I spend alot of time drinking it!

You've given me a good idea!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Ok lets say the soul exists..although tell that to someone who has lost their memory and personality is practically a blank slate.Anyway,if its energy it would still follow the exact same rules as any other type of energy that converts into another..kinetic to sound or what have you.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I haven't read the full thread I quoted but I'm pretty sure the soul does exist. According to here it can be described as "our thoughts, emotions, and experiences, the things that go on in our brains/bodies"

So if someone had an accident that resulted in permanent memory loss then according to the above description the soul would have been changed.

I can't explain, prove or dismiss that.

With regards to the energy it would follow the same process as kinetic transforming into heat etc only if it was a similiar type

i.e. Lets call it spiritual energy, we don't know how that would work do we?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ewokdisco

Thanks for that, just had a quick look at the Wiki article for him and it looks an interesting read

new topics

top topics

join