It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Google Earth - Base Overlays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Does anyone know of any ATS Google Earth overlays? I would be really interested in anything to do with an overlay (.kmz and .kml) that has bases on it, locations of UFO sightings, facilities, crashes, etc. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

I don't know about ATS specific overlays, but plenty are out there. The easiest thing to do is to open up Google Earth, then:
1) under lays, click on "gallery"
2) expand "gallery"
3) click on Google Earth Community

This opens up markers that if you click on them will open up a thread on the Keyhole forum. [Keyhole is the company that Google bought and then changed to Google Earth.]

The problem is many of these overlays and KMZs (two different things) are plain wrong. Find errors is easy. Getting them removed is nearly impossible.

Fir example, this is my KMZ for the hike up Tikaboo Peak:
Tikaboo Peak Hike

If you turn on the Google Earth Community and view my KMZ at the same time, you will see plenty of errors. For instance, there are two Google Earth Community markers for the peak, neither of which is correct. Even mine looks off a little bit, but that is actually due to Google Earth being off. I've checked the waypoint a few times.

Making data for Google Earth is pretty easy these days. If you have a Garmin GPS, Mapsource can make a GPX file. The current version of Google Earth will read a GPX format file. If you want to create a KMZ from the GPX or even a few waypoints you have in text format, go to
www.gpsvisualizer.com...

Note that a KMZ is just a KMZ in zip format.

Overlays are a bit of a problem. Any overlay is an image format file with the edges being tagged with geographic coordinates. I've made many over the years. What I eventually learned is not everyone can see my overlays. It depends on the amount of RAM in your PC. There are different sized "apertures" for Google Earth implementations, where the aperture is the largest image you can overlay. What you are supposed to do is create a series of tiles of images, each about 256x256, with their own coordinates. This is impossible by hand and I can't get any of the free or even pay software that is supposed to do this to work. The overlays I've created are viewshed, i.e. what can be seen from a specific location.

This is an overlay of the viewshed from Bald Mountain. You may have to play with the opacity to see the area under the overlay. I use the alpha channel to create a transparency, but they don't always come out transparent.
Bzld Mountain viewshed overlay

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Gariac,

As always you come through with the most thorough information. Thanks for the heads up on this!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

This link will get you to the military section of the Google Earth forum:
Military section of Google Earth forum

Now for really really serious research, here is the Bigfoot KMZ
Bigfoot KMZ

join