It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexual behaviour widespread in animals according to new study

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by milesp

Wow! Did you not even read any of the explanations for the homosexual behavior? Your "gay" dolphins are probably life long young friend dolphins put in a tank with no females (and there could be wimmin dolphins in there, I wouldn't know). It's like saying that all prisons that rape each other are gay. That is, putting all males regardless of species, in a cage with other males and them practicing mutual masturbation and calling it gay. In which case homosexaulity would be the leading cause of prison rape?

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 17-6-2009 by OKCBtard]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I think the OP is attempting to "naturalize" homosexuality.

This point is moot. Homosexuality exists, it is therefore natural.

The question is, does homosexuality harm anyone. This is not
a question of right or wrong, (unless it can be shown to be
harmful to someone in some way.)

It is my opinion that homosexuality can only be shown to be
harmful to the person that is homosexual. I am not homosexual
but I can empathize with what it must be like to come to the
realization that your sexuality does not "fit-in" with the normal
mode.

It is my FIRM opinion that homosexuality is NOT a conscious
decision. I have NEVER EVER, NOT ONCE, NOT EVER been at a bar,
close to closing time, and decided to increase my odds of
getting laid that night by consciously deciding I was
bi-sexual, or homosexual. I likewise have NEVER MADE a conscious
decision to be heterosexual. I never was, and have never been, in
control of what I deem to be sexually attractive.

I can also affirm that early homosexual experience did
not cause homosexuality in me.

My first experience was at fifteen. Two guys in a sauna
at a junior college tried to get lucky with a friend and I,
by switching the light off and playing touchy feely.
We both bolted, without confrontation, and our only
detriment was the fear of using the gym at the college again.

We do not choose our sexuality.

The real question, the only question you need to ask,
is whether homosexuality can be shown to be detrimental to
anyone other than the homosexual. This is the relevant question.

If the answer is a consenual yes, then we debate.

If the answer is no, then it becomes no-one's business
but the homosexual.

If you happen to know yourself to be homophobic and
unable to tolerate a homosexual advance to the point
of verbal or physical violence, then I would say to you
that THIS IS a conscious decision. YOU CAN CHOOSE to
be tolerant. It would certainly seem to be a much easier
choice to make than say choosing homosexuality, which you so
easily declined.

I think that's all.....

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Interesting. I wonder why animals such as these do not discriminate against those who are heterosexual and those who are homosexual? I wonder why those animals that are gay are not seen as a burden to the majority of the others? Maybe it's because penguins do not organise gay pride parades when the heterosexuals are getting it on.

This is hardly ground breaking news, animals usually act out on instinct and basic urges and desires. What separates us from other animals? Possibly it is our unique ability to think, reflect and reason. While sex is most often done for pleasure, evolution would suggest that sex serves us to reproduce offspring so that we can survive as a species.

[edit on 17/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

What gives anyone the right to pick and choose which animal behaviors are acceptable and which aren’t. If someone can use homosexuality in animals to justify homosexuality in humans, who is to say what other animal behavirs we can use to justify our actions.

Because this is not the topic of the OP. Point me out where in the OP does it say that the scientific research was being used to justify homosexual behavior?

I know that some people used homosexuality research to "justify" homosexual behavior. Is it possible that people who have brought up studies such as this in response to negativity and ignorant arguments that homosexuality is not natural?

Yes, this is not a justification. No. People bring the studies out to point out the ERRORS of thinking that homosexuality is not natural.

Besides, homosexuality does not exist in the animal kingdom. By definition homosexuality refers to humans only.

Then what do you call animals who have sex with another of the same sex? Fairies?

Whose laws are they breaking that they feel the need to justify anything?

No one is trying to justify anything. This is in response to the ignorant people.

Oh, and yeah we had laws against homosexuality. How about that? What about the fundamentals who said that homosexuality is against God's law?

So why do some feel the need to justify homosexuality by comparing animal behavior to human behavior?

No one is comparing themselves to animals. People bring up homosexuality researches to show that homosexuality is NATURAL. No comparison here.

No, this is the old “why do you feel it is necessary to justify anything if you are ok with it?”

Homosexuals are okay with it. There is no need for justification. It's a response to people who thinks it is wrong.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is as said in various posts of this topic, pure propaganda. This is not a new study but to promote homosexuality and ease people into it.

This kind of behavior among animals has been observed by scientists as far back as the 1700's

www.sensualism.com...

"For some people, what animals do is a comparison of what is and is not natural, Some people make a leap from saying if it's natural, it's morally and ethically desirable."

Now about my one brat dog and his favourite teddy......oh wait. sorry, some people already have blow up dolls.

And a professor studying dolphin behavior

Janet Mann, a professor of biology and psychology at Georgetown University, who has studied same-sex behavior in dolphin calves, their homosexuality "is about bond formation," she said, "not about being sexual for life."

She said that studies showed that adult male dolphins formed long-term alliances, sometimes in large groups. As adults, they cooperate to entice a single female and keep other males from her. Sometimes they share the female, or they may cooperate to help one male. "Male-male cooperation is extremely important," Ms. Mann said. The homosexual behavior of the young calves "could be practicing" for that later, crucial adult period, she added.

www.sensualism.com...

The 2 gay penguins Silo and Roy

Silo and Roy are, to anthropomorphize a bit, gay penguins. When offered female companionship, they have adamantly refused it. And the females aren't interested in them, either.

So these two gay penguins live in captivity and so have been in captivity the last 6 years. Why the females want nothing to do with them gets my attention.

[edit on 6/17/2009 by qonone]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Been a lurker here for a while this is the first time i really have had the urge to post.

If you straight people think homosexuality is a choice then why don't you choose to be gay for a year? Be so convincing that you could have a relationship with a gay person and they would never know.

Come on i want to see this, cause after all it is just a choice right? After a year you could go back to your "normal" straight life and no one would be the wiser. Well, you might since you get to see how the other side lives.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I had a very gay dog when I was a kid. Yes, beastly behavior is common in beasts, no question about it. My dog would hump anything. Cats, dogs, people, tractors, grasshoppers, you name it. He as a great dog.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I dont think these animals are actually "Gay". they are hardcoded for reproduction. Alot of animals dont have very complex mating rituals or methods of finding a mate. A dog humping your leg is a perfect example.

its easier for us to look at a human and determine wether they have more of their mothers genes or more of their fathers genes.. sometimes this could lead to mental or physical irregularities. Same sex intercourse has always been around, though it seems it was more for simply pleasure and not having anything to do with the natural way of things.

But if people wish you to accept it, I dont see any problem in letting people live how they want to live.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
reply to post by Melissa101

I believe that by your reasoning, and those who agree with you, then sex for pleasure is not natural and should not be done.

Are you really saying we should only have sex for reproduction? Or are you saying that since we're humans, and are therefore mentally superior to animals, we can chose to have sex for pleasure, with anyone we want, and it is perfectly natural?

Shadow,
Um, I do not think I said any of that but you did. Animals have sex for survival and reproduction not pleasure. That is what I said. I swear everyone wants to twist things around so that when they are doing something wrong they can feel good about it. People can justify selling their soul to the devil but that does not make it the right thing to do. God gave humans the ability to make love for other reasons other than reproduction, it is pleasurable it brings us closer to our husband or wife, it is a stress reliever and it is emotionaly recharging. If you were educated on the Bible it tells you all about marriage, sex, love ect.... Go look it up...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by KiliRae
Been a lurker here for a while this is the first time i really have had the urge to post.

If you straight people think homosexuality is a choice then why don't you choose to be gay for a year? Be so convincing that you could have a relationship with a gay person and they would never know.

Come on i want to see this, cause after all it is just a choice right? After a year you could go back to your "normal" straight life and no one would be the wiser. Well, you might since you get to see how the other side lives.

KiliRea,
Most anyone has the ability to be a homosexual point is some of us CHOOSE not to. We are human and have human desires, it is normal to be attracted to the same sex as well as the opposite sex, if someone says they have never found someone of the same sex arousing then they are lying period. But homosexaulity is wrong, it is not natural and it is an abomination period. Most people going through adolecents can be attracted to toast when their hormones go nuts but that doesnt make them a taost lovers for life. Get the point? Most of us have experimented with drugs and some become addicts and some CHOOSE not to so they stop, is it easy? No but it is right, see, elementery my dear Watson.
Melissa101

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Most anyone has the ability to be a homosexual point is some of us CHOOSE not to. We are human and have human desires, it is normal to be attracted to the same sex as well as the opposite sex, if someone says they have never found someone of the same sex arousing then they are lying period.

So I take it that you have had attraction to others of the same sex? Your ability to choose is what makes you bisexual.

But homosexaulity is wrong, it is not natural and it is an abomination period.

Homosexuality is natural. What you meant is that it offends your morality. Why is it wrong? Abomination to who? You? The Bible?

elementery my dear Watson.

Yes, it is elementary. It's simple. People who are against homosexuality because of their religion can't see past what is simple and natural.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
Most people going through adolecents can be attracted to toast when their hormones go nuts but that doesnt make them a taost lovers for life. Get the point?
Melissa101

Actually that's where a lot of fetishes come from. NO i m not saying homosexuality is a fetish, but with your line of reasoning then its almost the same thing.

And saying drug addiction and homosexuality are the same things is way off base. Neither are really a choice, and even if the addict chooses to become clean they still fight those urges. Its not been proven but there are indications that somewhere in the brain some people are more likely to be drug addicts or any kind of addicts then others.

With all the gay people I know they just didn't wake up one day and go OH i think i want to be gay and be persecuted for the rest of my life. In fact most of the ones i m friends with have tried to be straight and it feels WRONG to them. Same way being christian feels WRONG to me. But i don't go around running that down anyone throats. So why do you feel that you should? (Asking christians in general not just Melissa) Not everyone wants to be saved so just hush up after the first no from one person and move on.

And it would be fine in your line of reasoning if a gay person choose to be straight and be miserable for the rest of their lives to MAYBE have a chance at what you assume will be eternal bliss, then to be happy here and now correct?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Today I learned that...

...there are an awful lot of gay dogs in the world!

Seriously? Wow... how many posters had the "I had a gay dog once..." stories...

Amazing!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Animals don't see another male and think oh baby

Sorry, I have to disagree there - animals do have *preferences*.
I’ve over 35 years working on stud farms and then moving on to raising my own horses.
At one time I had 6 working studs, and I can tell you from first hand experience not only do animals enjoy sex for the sake of sex, but, they also do in fact have preferences and do the *Oh baby oh baby* thing.

One stallion in particular absolutely went nutty for a certain kind of mare.
I wont get into details as the story is too long but - if and when he was presented with a mare in the teasing shed - and she wasn’t his type I nearly had to beg him to tease the mare or take her to another less discrimination stallion for teasing.
If it was his type of mare I couldn't leave the top of the teasing she d door open - all 17 hands of him would go right over the top.

Though a well trained and manageable stud, when it was *his* type of mare? It was a chore to handle him for breeding.
When it wasn’t, I almost had to take a stick to him to walk up to the plate and get his job done.

Just as some would attack a *ghost* mare with all the rip roaring snorting Tasmanian devil type enthusiasm known in stallions, and others would look at the *ghost mare* like - “You’re kidding me, right?”

I’ve many more examples, but these will suffice.

I’ve NO doubt in my mind not only do animals experience pleasure from matting, but, also, most definitely have their *oh baby* preferences.

To think animals do not experience pleasure at mating is IMO a bit naive.

That animals could pair up in a sexual relationship with another of it’s gender, for sexual pleasure and companionship is completely plausible IMO and not at all a leap of faith to believe the reactions to preference would take place between homosexual animals.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think the "rub" comes from the Christian perspective.

The bible states homosexuality is an abomination unto the Lord.
If this statement were true, the implication would be that
homosexuality is an unnatural occurance because it goes against
nature, or more importantly, it goes against God who IS nature.

However, this is a religious dogma, a belief, not a truth. Keep an open
mind for a moment. All religions are based on belief, faith, hope.
If any religion were based in fact, then it would cease to be a
religion and in a semantic sense would become a science. If
this happened, then this single religion would surely dominate
all others...but it is not true. All religion is faith based. Any science
applied or construed is misinformation and double-speak.
ie, you cannot debate the truth of the story of Noah by estimating
numbers of species, and sizes of boats...these things are either
taken on faith, or not.

Now where is the rub? The rub is when people's personal
beliefs become so strong that they become personal truths.

I personally believe (very strongly) that every attractive woman
should have sex with me. Sadly for me (and happily for many
attractive women) my personal belief (no matter how strongly
held) does not equate to truth.

When Theists realize that their Dogma is a belief and not a truth
the world will be a better place......

....because that will be the day hell freezes over

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I have a question for all the straight people on here who are saying homosexuality is a choice, it’s a simple question really, one which you should have no problem answering, if in fact ones sexuality is a choice, here it is:

When did you choose to be straight? When did you actually sit there one day and have the option to choose gay or straight and you said “right, I’m going to be straight”?

When did you choose it?

Also, for the ones coming out with the old “it’s not natural” crap..... Neither is driving, or wearing clothes, or flying in an airplane, but I bet you still do it.

Homosexuality is natural, as natural as Heterosexuality. I mean, how do you know Homosexuality is not nature’s way of controlling our out on control population growth?

Mikey

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
So what's missing from the report? Have these female penguins been observed to have SEX? More than likely not, in which case it is impossible to refer to them as lesbians. It seems they are simply raising the chicks in pairs of whoever is available perhaps?

As for homosexuality in nature, do you see males pairing off for life? Do you see them having sex for pleasure instead of their natural way of establishing a hierarchy, just as male dogs do?

I think this does not establish homosexuality as the norm in nature because animals do not choose same-sex Sex-partners as some humans do. Therefore it is not a matter of sexual orientation or choice, which is completely different to the human experience of it.

I'm not about to wade into a debate over whether homosexuality is normal or abhorrant in humanity. It is simply a choice (for want of a better word) that today is a lot easier to make in our modern world. I am not for or against homosexuality, it is a reality, it is not my choice and I will never deride another human being for their same sex relationships.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Tayesin]

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join