It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funniest copy protection ever - ARMA2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I've never been much in favor of the attitude many developers have to copy protection.

Some of the most used systems like starforce and securom are really only punishing their loyal customers, and do nothing to stop piracy of the games.

But today I learned of a system that comes with the new game from Bohemia Interactive, ARMA2, and I had to laugh out loud.

The FADE copy protection system was first introduced in their hit Operation Flashpoint, where if you were playing a pirated version of the game the quality of the graphics would slowly degrade until the screen was just occupied by colored squares. This system, as far as I know, was never conquered by crackers and pirates and still stops many people from pirating this game .

The FADE II that is used in ARMA2 is just hilarious. If the game detects that it is a pirated copy, the accuracy of all weapons is reduced to 0 and if the player continues to try and put up with the game they are transformed into a seagull.

I think it is hilarious. On another forum I regularly visit I noticed idiots having a cry about it today that their copies are broken etc etc because they keep turning into a seagull mid game and that their ironsights on the weapons aren't accurate.

When asked where they got the game they all replied: downloaded it.

So I say a big thumbs up for Bohemia for finding a non-invasive and hilarious way to stop their game being pirated.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

LOL ....heres a star for you,fooffstarr

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/021fea4e3e73.gif[/atsimg]

Well it's great to see something truly funny coming out of copyright protection.
Congratulations to "Bohemia Interactive" for giving me the biggest laugh I had today.

These videos were done as a demonstration of the protection in action

[edit on 17-6-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well thats pretty nifty. I mean if you are going to steal a game you run the risk of it not working right.

Good for ARMA2

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So if it turns me into a seagull do I get to "dive-bomb" the enemy?

new topics

top topics

join