It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Glimpses of Life’s Puzzling Origins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
It has been a basic difficulty in relating the chemical evolution represented by meteorites and the origin of terrestrial life on Earth. The meteorites are the only evidence of chemical evolution scientists have in hand today. It has been known for the last century that there are large amounts of carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen - the so-called biogenic elements - in the cosmos. And that it is reasonable to assume that these elements might have undergone some amount of chemical evolution before life even began.

Some 3.9 billion years ago, a shift in the orbit of the Sun’s outer planets sent a surge of large comets and asteroids careening into the inner solar system. Their violent impacts gouged out the large craters still visible on the Moon’s face, heated Earth’s surface into molten rock and boiled off its oceans into an incandescent mist.

Yet rocks that formed on Earth 3.8 billion years ago, almost as soon as the bombardment had stopped, contain possible evidence of biological processes. If life can arise from inorganic matter so quickly and easily, why is it not abundant in the solar system and beyond? If biology is an inherent property of matter, why have chemists so far been unable to reconstruct life, or anything close to it, in the laboratory?

In the last few years, however, four surprising advances have renewed confidence that a terrestrial explanation for life’s origins will eventually emerge.

Source: www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I find it wierd and absolutely unbelievable that the earth is 1/4 the age of the universe it self, Yet we are a 'young' solar system ?? No sense it that at all.. But intresting anyways..

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

why is it not abundant in the solar system and beyond? If biology is an inherent property of matter, why have chemists so far been unable to reconstruct life, or anything close to it, in the laboratory?

it might be, the but "public" doesnt know......and as for reconstructing life from scratch, i cant even fathom that....

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Life is Not a Biological Function!

Biological functions are simply Biological Robotics.

But Awareness or Consciousness or another name given to both of these, LIFE is Not the Biological Form it self or the actions of such robotics.

Why is it that human primates can't accept the Driving force or Motive force behind Biological Robotics ???

No this is NOT a lesson from me, in Philosophy or Religion or any other mumbo jumbo.

Look your body or any other biological species, is simply Not aware of its existence...
The Only thing that is Aware of anything existing is Consciousness or LIFE!

Hell, your body or any part of your body, simply does Not know your entity even exists..... LOL..

Your Awareness is the only Entity that is Conscious of anything.

With out Consciousness or Awareness, Nothing at all would know that there is anything such as Existence.... LOL.

Before any Universe or other World, can exist Awareness/Consciousness/Life has to be in order to be as I have said Aware of anything at All !

Why are human Primates, so frightened/terrified of looking at this subject and hide behind their materialistic illusions ???

Is it that by being, totally Materialistic, in other words Rejecting Awareness/Consciousness/LIFE somehow allows them to feel secure in themselves ???

Personally I am Not religious, but I can still understand Awareness/Consciousness/LIFE is Not the Biological form or in fact comes from or is a part of the Biological form.

Have they ever found Consciousness in a meteor ???

No I didn't think so...

Perhaps Awareness/Consciousness/LIFE has Nothing at all to do with the Universe you experience, and that Awareness/Consciousness/LIFE is in Fact outside your Experience looking into a environment produced by a simple but involved Program.

And that the origin and function and the appearance of your experience is Not produced in the way you are led to believe.

You are Not going to find the Origin of this little Universe having come from material so called or energy.

You are looking at the end structure and Not the Cause of the Structure.

Distance etc is Only relativity within its own environment and can Not see the overall structure ie what it exists in!

The Universe is that which is observed......

But LIFE is The Observer !!!

Very simple really even a young child can understand this as well as an Old person !

[edit on 12-7-2009 by The Matrix Traveller]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Life did not come about by a purely biological means. It was created on this planet (and possibly others) by God. Science will never find a pure biological beginning for life.

Even if they do fabricate life, it does not mean God did not do as the Bible says. It means that we have succeeded in playing God... but... the consequences of such actions may be serious.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by one_enlightened_mind

There is absolutely no proof that your god created anything.

Amino acids, glycolaldehyde, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and other molecules associated with biochemistry have been detected in space. Life may not have began in space, but the presence of so many of these molecules increases the chance of finding life somewhere other than here.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
How can you created intelligent life without Conscience or a Soul ?

How can you create even small life in general?

If small life evolves eventually into what we are, at what point did it aquire a soul?

If that means that all life has a soul, then even when we kill the fly or spider, we are killing a conscience living soul?

I am confused.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

That all depends on whether or not souls exist.

As far as I know, there is no evidence of souls existing.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

There is absolutely no proof that God did not create anything.

(But why argue about it? To argue is futile since neither side can positively prove anything. Science cannot disprove God, and I cannot disprove that science cannot dabble in God's realm. We'd be beating a dead horse.)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I like your argument on a certain level, but for it to be valid we must first prove that humans (possibly animals as well) have souls. I am not sure if it would stop there... what if all living creatures have souls? If humans have them then why not animals, plants, insects, bacteria, and other living organisms? Are we really so arrogant that such a possibility is out of the question? Do souls really make us so special? Are they really what we perceive them to be? What if they're not?

So... while I like the argument personally... I doubt it has any scientific value. Theologically there could be much to discuss. Science, however, is another story.

But that's just how I feel about it.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Here is a Drawing of The Soul.

Humans or any others don't have a Soul.

The Soul Contains the picture ie a human form species or other images.

The universe is in the Soul, Not out side the Soul.

The Soul is that which plays the Program of the Universe which is a copy of a program that exists in a Library of the Mind (often called Life, Awareness, or Consciousness)

This Drawing shows the Partition Map used in the Processing System of The Soul.

The universe you believe to experience is actually an Interactive Holographic Experience in The Soul !

Each Soul has a copy of the Base Program of the Little Universe you see and experience.

Any One can see the workings of the Soul by making a very cheap device to enable you to see The workings of The Soul in full Colour and in Real Time.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

We argue about it because you make claims based on absolutely no proof. There are hundreds of gods and creation stories from various civilizations and cultures. To assert that your god is the one and only, and that your religion is the truth are both absolutely ridiculous.

You're right that we can't disprove your god, and you can't prove that your god exists. However, this lack of proof on either side suggests that the object in question does not exist.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

My proof is the Bible, which is sufficient. It's all the evidence anyone needs that God exists, if you know how to read it.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

Yet rocks that formed on Earth 3.8 billion years ago, almost as soon as the bombardment had stopped, contain possible evidence of biological processes. If life can arise from inorganic matter so quickly and easily, why is it not abundant in the solar system and beyond?

Maybe it wasn't as "quick and easy" as it first appears. It might have just been "beginner's luck!"

I have a pet theory that life is a result of a guiding intelligence that has nothing to do with "God" (whatever that is), and more to do with the non-linear, trans-dimensional nature of spacetime and how it interacts with consciousness. Essentially, we're aligning ourselves with the future and constructing our past with what we both perceive and imagine in the present, and life being created in the past is part of that ongoing process.

Pretty tough to prove, though.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
To the OP, Great Article!!! Very informative. I think that soon the origin of life will be solved beyond a doubt.

Originally posted by ChemBreather
I find it wierd and absolutely unbelievable that the earth is 1/4 the age of the universe it self, Yet we are a 'young' solar system ?? No sense it that at all.. But intresting anyways..

Our sun is a third generation star. It formed out of the gases of left over from second generation stars after they went supernova. The first generation of stars were massive and would not support life. They did, however, form the more complex atoms. Our sun converts hydrogen into helium through nuclear fussion. Larger stars convert it into more complex atomic structures.

top topics

join