It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church of England attempts to broaden appeal with songs by U2 and prayers for Google

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Now, this is just cheezy as all get out, if you ask me.

This is an extreme example of the problems being faced by many "mainstream" traditional churches...the declining appeal to youth. In combatting it they are going about it in entirely the wrong way.

I think the churches would attract more general interest by playing up their "mystical" and traditional aspects rather than cheezing out with pop culture. They simply don't understand. People have a startling lack of DIGNITY and TRADITION in their lives. I think there is a longing for old stained-glass windows and moss-covered bricks out there...the darkness and cool shadows of an ancient church apse, the dull-bronze implements and secret texts and archives...these sorts of things would, I believe, be snapped up by a public that has been "over-Starbucks-ized": Everything is overly sanitized, halogen-lit, erognomic, ultra-modern, etc...the Churches have a big chance to offer a spiritual environment that allows people to connect with deeper, ancient, and more mysterious traditions...instead they are trying to turn themselves into iChurches, or something. Its a big mistake and a tremendous miscalculation if you ask me. The adoption of cheezebal New Age and sickeningly politically-correct rituals is also a massive turnoff.

From the article:

Worshippers are told that “our planet is messed up” and that “things are not right”.

They are then asked to approach the altar and rub sea salt on their fingers to represent tears, before walking around and meditating at eight “prayer stations” representing themes such as “gender equality” and “environmental sustainability”.

A psalm is recited in “beat poetry” style to the accompaniment of African Djembe drums, and prayers are said “for the corporate world, for influential CEOs who oversee billion-dollar industries”.

The prayers continue: “We pray for John Chambers of Cisco Systems, Bill Gates of Microsoft, Dr Eric Schmidt of Google Inc, H Lee Scott Jr of Wal-Mart Stores and others who have already made commitments to justice.”

Among the alternative services explored in the book, which is co-edited by the Rt Rev Steven Croft, the new Bishop of Sheffield, are so-called “U2charists”, services in which the congregation receives communion but sings the songs of the Irish rock band U2 instead of traditional hymns.

The services, which include such songs as “Mysterious Ways”, “One”, and “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, have been pioneered at St Swithin’s church in Lincoln.

The book also features Transcendence, an event held in York Minister in which traditional Latin chant is set by DJs to hip hop or ambient dance music and video images are projected onto the walls.

The Rev Sue Wallace, who has pioneered the event by blending modern technology with ancient prayers, says that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

More at:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Now, this is just cheezy as all get out, if you ask me.

This is an extreme example of the problems being faced by many "mainstream" traditional churches...the declining appeal to youth. In combatting it they are going about it in entirely the wrong way.

I think the churches would attract more general interest by playing up their "mystical" and traditional aspects rather than cheezing out with pop culture. They simply don't understand. People have a startling lack of DIGNITY and TRADITION in their lives. I think there is a longing for old stained-glass windows and moss-covered bricks out there...the darkness and cool shadows of an ancient church apse, the dull-bronze implements and secret texts and archives...these sorts of things would, I believe, be snapped up by a public that has been "over-Starbucks-ized": Everything is overly sanitized, halogen-lit, erognomic, ultra-modern, etc...the Churches have a big chance to offer a spiritual environment that allows people to connect with deeper, ancient, and more mysterious traditions...instead they are trying to turn themselves into iChurches, or something. Its a big mistake and a tremendous miscalculation if you ask me. The adoption of cheezebal New Age and sickeningly politically-correct rituals is also a massive turnoff.

You are a great writer and a very smart person, extremely insightful. S&F

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
No offense meant, because I somewhat agree with you, but I think you're overestimating how much the church genuinely cares about the spiritual well-being of their 'flock'. I was raised in my adolescence as a Catholic and about the only thing I enjoyed was the mysterious air surrounding the ritual and paraphernalia. But we are talking about the same church that at one time herded the heathens into lakes for mass baptisms.

Frankly, I'm glad it's happening. Building this facade of modernism only illustrates how weak and facile the church has become and how far from 'holy' it always has been. It's about asses in the seats. That's all.

You can reason why that is, but my belief is that it goes ching-ching when it's good and rustle-rustle when it's great.

This isn't a slight against anyone's beliefs either. This is all to do with the nonsense of communal 'beliefing'. Dispelling the notion that somehow more of us at one time have more of 'god's' ear than when we are alone. That we are for some reason ignored during our quiet inner reflections versus 'celebratory' posturing and favor mongering. That we can't possibly understand the place of spirituality in our life without the consent and guidance of a priest.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Cheesy, yes; horrendous? even more so. I think Bono sounds whiny. I can't stand their music. Never have like them. I don't know anyone who likes U2, And to bring that into to church...the only way they can top a bologna-barf fest like that is for the next week's band to be Nickleback (the world's worst hamster-vomit of a band).

I would, however, like to see a beat-boxing and break-dancing Jesus, that would be cool...Westside tradition of coarse.

plucky

new topics

top topics

join