It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Very Costly Kiss: Senior Denied Diploma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
When I came across the title the first thing that came to mind was that some kid got in trouble for kissing his girlfriend during commencement. But then I thought, well maybe the student had kissed a teacher, something a little more juicy and interesting. When the student had gotten called on stage to receive his diploma he blew a kiss to his family and the schools administrator sent the student back to his seat without his diploma. The mother is of course extremely angry about this and the administrators feel they were enforcing rules that the students agreed to. At a meeting following the debacle, school superintendent Suzanne Lukas said that "if a student doesn't adhere to the expectations, then the consequences are clearly spelled out."

Wow, how petty and small does a person have to be to get off on enforcing such stupid rules. I bet the administrator feels pretty big and self important about all of this. My question is, isn't that illegal for them to withhold a diploma like that? I know that typically during commencement that it's not your actual diploma they hand to you, but the article doesn't say much about that, but isn't it illegal for the school to withhold a diploma? Because graduations are more of a cermonial thing and you don't actually have to be there, but since the kid took his exams and passed the requirements, then wouldn't the school be in violation of a state law?

I'm also noticing there is a trend going on at schools where they are suspended, expelling students for the stupidest of things. There was a thread on a girl not being allowed to thank jesus in her speech, there was also one i had started where a boy got expelled or suspended for taking a girl to a dance because it violated school rules. I even remember another during the elections where a teacher was on camera harrassing 6th graders that supported John McCain. I do have to say out of all the stupid things these schools are doing, this one has got to be the most ridiculous. I hope this mother sues, get's paid well, and that the administrators get removed from their position.

buzz.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I too think this is over the top but I dont think they should sue. Why is everyone so sue happy? Suing for money is not the answer. I really dont like how people just sue for everything now a days. I could have sued once in my life and it would have got me a lot of money since it was the stores own fault but I didnt. I felt it was unnecessary. They paid the medical and I never even asked, it was their policy. Why sue? Ok that's done....

As for the superintendent I dont really know what should happen to them. Suspension maybe who knows but not fired.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I too think this is over the top but I dont think they should sue. Why is everyone so sue happy? Suing for money is not the answer. I really dont like how people just sue for everything now a days. I could have sued once in my life and it would have got me a lot of money since it was the stores own fault but I didnt. I felt it was unnecessary. They paid the medical and I never even asked, it was their policy. Why sue? Ok that's done....

As for the superintendent I dont really know what should happen to them. Suspension maybe who knows but not fired.

Your situation and this one are different because the parents paid tuition money, books for four years and paid money for cap/gown and all that other stuff, but then they turn around and pull this? Yes they should sue them. Ok so it's ok for the superintendent to not lose their job but it's perfectly ok for them to expell students for often stupid reasons and they deny this kid his diploma.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This has to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard! EXACTLY WHO WAS HURT BY THIS KID ACKNOWLEDGING HIS PARENTS??? No one, that's who! It just goes to show that common sense isn't very common anymore!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

I highly doubt they would not give that student their diploma. Yes my situation was different but I was permanently injured and still have problems sometimes from my situation so I too could have sued but I chose not to. Back to the topic...I think the superintendent overreacted in a big way but I dont really think they were serious.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well you're the one who shifted it off topic, but anyways, actually they didn't give him his diploma at all, which is why there's attention going into this. Here's a better link to the story:

www.wdsu.com...

basically, the superintendent was already in a bad mood because of all the goofing off going on and she took it out on this kid who didn't do anything except blow a freakin kiss at his family.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Sue the jughead superintendent. Is this the sort of person you want running your school? It's not about money. It's about an immature adult. Yes, the adult should be taken to task for this. If anything, maybe a plus would be that the superintendent learns to control such childish behaviour in the future. If the kid crossed the stage and pulled down his pants and mooned the superintendent, then, yeah, no diploma for you!! lol. At least until you apoligise. But for blowing a kiss? Hell,no.

At the age of 42, I received my first college bachelors diploma. My family was in the audience and they cheered me loudly. And I stopped on stage and yelled, thank you, I couldn't have done it without all of you. Yeah, I should have been denied my diploma. HAH. Meanwhile the college dean and the university president handed me my diploma and shook my hand and the college dean said, "Obviously, you have some great fans. We are, too. Congratulations on a job well done."

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
OMG you have got to be kidding me... DUDE! I swear before I read the article I thought that maybe as he excepted his diploma he kissed a teacher every guy in school would die to kiss but this is just Stupid. WOW. I am speechless.. Great thread "Dearth"

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This sort of lascivious abuse of power will be come more dominant in this country until we stand up and say, "ENOUGH!" Heck, we had a kid moon the entire crowd when I was a junior in HS. He graduated and got nothing but a scolding and chuckle!

Petty bureaucrat! "Sieg Heil!"

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

No, they can't hold his diploma from him, If a college calls and asks for his transcripts, they most certainly have to say student has graduated.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think you guys are being way TOO hard on these administrators!

Hey! The kid AGREED with those rules.

Such a blatant disregard for civility and decorum.

The act by this juvenile was so heinous... They should have BEAT him with clubs!

(The really scary part is that these 'EDUCATORS' just don't get it... What a sad state our educational system is in...)

Shouldn't this be nominated for the Redneck Awards?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I hate the fact that they do not let the kids celebrate.

What harm is some beach balls/silly string/etc.?

new topics

top topics

join