It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP source: Same-sex partners to get fed benefits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

AP source: Same-sex partners to get fed benefits

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama, under growing criticism for not seeking to end the ban on openly gay men and women in the military, is extending benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees. Obama plans to announce his decision on Wednesday in the Oval Office, a White House official said Tuesday. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the president hadn't yet signed the presidential memorandum.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this comment but here is my thoughts. I think I'll get a fed job, claim I married my damn cat, get taxpayer funded benifits.
How can he claim to be a supporter of one man one woman marriage and then come up with this? Is anything this man says he can stick to? I swear John Kerry couldn't flip flop like this guy.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
WHo say you cant support both? Personally I feel like "live and let live." They're not hurting you so why are you worried about it? The comparison of marrying a cat is irrelevant.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
First good move by Obama... if he does it. But still, supporting the BS policy in the army is counterbalancing this.

And doing this won't excuse his 1000X other crimes he commited against the constitution.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
this sounds like good news.

and i have no damn clue what you're talking about marrying your cat for.

(i assume) male + cat =/= male+male

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

So Homosexuals can join the Military, fight and die in foreign wars but can't be afforded the same rights as heterosexual couples. What kind of sense does that make.

Marry your cat.......your'e funny

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Does this also extend to hetro partners? For example, If a man has a woman that he lives with, is in a relationship with, but not married? I would hope so. Not sure why gay partners would get these special benefits, while straight partners do not.

[edit on 6/17/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Ok. This is what it says:

is extending benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees but stopping short of a guarantee of full health insurance

White House officials said Obama would respect existing laws, which block many benefits such as health care. But the decision would allow employees' domestic partners to be added to a government insurance program that pays for long-term conditions, such as Alzheimer's disease.

The memorandum also would allow employees to use sick leave to take care of domestic partners and their children.

I assume that means ALL domestic partners - gay or straight. Right?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by texas thinker

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this comment but here is my thoughts. I think I'll get a fed job, claim I married my damn cat, get taxpayer funded benifits.
How can he claim to be a supporter of one man one woman marriage and then come up with this? Is anything this man says he can stick to? I swear John Kerry couldn't flip flop like this guy.

news.yahoo.com

Your analogy is extremely faulty. 2 consenting adults in a relationship is nowhere near what a human and pet relationship is

And all the laws on homosexual relationships are flawed - therefore, you have people who make hypocrytical decisions. "gay benefits = ok" but "gay marriage = not ok".
"being gay in military = ok" "admitting you are gay in military = not ok"

At the end of the day, there should be NO laws regarding consenting adult's relationships.

And if they allow benefits for domestic partners - it should be for straight AND gay.

All JMO

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Does this also extend to hetro partners? For example, If a man has a woman that he lives with, is in a relationship with, but not married? I would hope so. Not sure why gay partners would get these special benefits, while straight partners do not.

I have a grand idea. Allow gay people to marry to obtain these benefits. That way it would be EQUAL to these heterosexuals who have a choice to marry. Did you get that? Heterosexuals have that choice...homosexuals don't.

Just a thought?

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Nutter]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Now I see where you're coming from. Good post.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

At the end of the day, there should be NO laws regarding consenting adult's relationships.

And if they allow benefits for domestic partners - it should be for straight AND gay.

:-)

absolutely - any adult relationship amounts to an agreement between two - well, two consenting adults

knowing full well where this is all going to go...

why should some people's agreements and arrangements be considered more important than other people's agreements and arrangements?

in the end - it's all just paperwork

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well that's nice, so to be equal in the US to straight couples, gays must work for Obama or some federal agency?

Way to go. What an idiot.

That's it, now he's gonna have to issue an executive order giving everybody the same rights, regardless if they are a Federal Employye or not.

I mean granted its' a good step, but come on, you can't just give it to one group and then not another, this just leads us down the same path, and were right back to where we started.

This solves nothing and helps only those who are willing to work for the government or the armed forces.

Ridiculous.

~Keeper

link   
duplicate, whooops.

Please remove mods.

Thanks

~Keeper

[edit on 6/17/2009 by tothetenthpower]

link   
reply to post by texas thinker

How can he claim to be a supporter of one man one woman marriage and then come up with this?

well - for one thing - it's one way to achieve the same thing, but coming at it from a different angle

if everyone is going to have a conniption over the idea of same sex marriage - I say - bypass it

let's just focus on the perks for now (or - rights)

the rest will follow in time - when people finally realize the world will not end if and when all people are treated equally and fairly

new topics

top topics

join