It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil Finds New Strain of H1N1 Virus--Worst-Case Scenario Becoming Real Now!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I read that, as well- and the people who are or were ill work for Vogue, Glamour, and other publiations- as well as those who broadcast on air.

I do like a good copy of Vogue mag here and there, but ALL mail we receive gets a good dose of Lysol first.

If (as seems to be the case, as we've both read the reports about this) the flu has inflitrated those offices, we can expect massive spread- the number of models, photogs, producers, etc., as well as TV guests going through that building is enormous. They then go onto other shows, sets, etc., and spread, away.

Did anyone see Katie Couric on The Daily Show last Week? Sick as a dog and didn't cancer her appearance. When does common sense take over and people take resposibility for themselves and STAY HOME????????????

If I were Stewart I'd have cancelled her- especially as she's interviewed all of the gov. staff members in the US- many of whom are or have been ill!!!!! FlyersFan brought it up on another thread- brilliantly, I thought- talking about people sneezing and couging all over the produce at the store. The base selfishness of people amazes me- but the show must go on, eh? Why not make announcements- like, "we were going to have X person on tonight but, as they weren't feeling great, we've asked them to come back in a week or two?" I wonder how many lives that could save.....

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
bah, more sensationalist h1n1 bandwagon hype

Sensationalist hype? Where on earth do you get 'sensationalist hype' from? It's painfully obvious that the governments of the world and MSM have a news cap on this flu and they are pushing APATHY.

Originally posted by MOFreemason
Most ATS'ers will agree the mortality rate is WAY low and certainly doesn't justify all the media attention it garnered.

There was an ATS poll taken and the information from that poll does NOT support your statement of 'MOST ATSERS'.

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
The common flu leads to thousands of deaths per year. This new virus has killed about a 160?

- There is immunity in the general population for the seasonal flu. There is NO immunity in the general population for this swine flu.

- The pandemic is JUST GETTING STARTED. I'm sure the death numbers at the beginning of the 1918 flu were low as well. It wasn't until after the mutation in the fall that people started to die by the millions.

Originally posted by CultureD
Did anyone see Katie Couric on The Daily Show last Week? Sick as a dog and didn't cancer her appearance. When does common sense take over and people take resposibility for themselves and STAY HOME????????????

Her EGO wouldn't let her.

Doesn't that tick you off? These kind people make me angry.
You should add that story to the RANT thread here -

RANT thread - If you are sick ... stay home!!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

FF- I was SO angry at Couric for what she did my husband and I both called and emailed The Daily Show and Couric's people.

What a crap example to set for the rest of the world- it made me vilely furious!!!!!!!!

And this is not a minor threat- I'm sorry- as you've said for months- and I agere with you every time- this is real. Get with the program, people!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Very interesting that we're discussing RBC aggregation from a mutation on the hemmaglutin glycoprotien, and that aggregated RBCs can lead to emboli. Soficrow's friend died of a rare blod clot thrown during yoga. A young woman in yoga-shape having an embolism or thombolitic stroke? Why did she throw a clot?

Could this new strain have already reached farther than we know- and coul it have been the source for Sofi's friend's passing?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

To add to my prior post:

www.cnsnews.com...

Some of the most recent victims were young and seemingly healthy, according to newspaper reports. They include an 8-year-old boy from Oak Forest, Ill., who died on Saturday; and a 20-year-old woman from Escondido, Calif., who died Monday, two days after the onset of flu symptoms

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

FlyersFan- I added the story to your ran thread (which was outstanding). i hope it helped.

And you're right about EGO- I can't understand why- in this era of "understanding" science and contagion, poeple STILL feel personally offended if someone "blames' them for being sick. It's not about you- the individual- it's about what you're carrying around, that you should keep to yourself!
God knows if I'm sick i stay home out of consideration- and not just work, but grocery stores, etc. If I need to go to the pharmacy, I TELL them I'm sick, go throug the drive through window and tell them to use Purell on my bank card when I pay. It's called courtesy....and now, more than ever, we need people to stop being to damned selfish and self-quarantine when ill. It could save millions....

Thanks for the thread, FF.

Be well,

C

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FreezeM

You're not kidding- Bloomberg in NY and CDC have reported at least 550,000 New Yorkers are either sick or have been exposed.
Extrapolate that out and it would seem to me that everyone on the planet has been exposed- or nearly all of us.

Question now: who will fight itoff and who won't?

Scary numbers for late June

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Restaurants, shopping centres, hotels and theatres all report falling sales as deaths from H1N1 infection across the country reached 65.

“We are seeing a jump in telephone inquiries, but footfall in the shop is dead,” said Florencia Paulet, an assistant in the aptly named furniture store Me Quedo En Casa (I stay at home), located in the trendy Palermo district.

Local businesses fear that emergency health measures unveiled by the Buenos Aires health ministry last week could result in similar economic losses to those that occurred in Mexico City at the start of the swine flu outbreak.

Trade has halved over recent days, representing a weekly loss of around $150m, according to Luis María Peña, president of the association of hotels, restaurants, confectionary shops and cafés.

Businesses geared towards children are reporting the most severe impact. Cinemas reported a fall in ticket receipts of more than 33 per cent in a week. Internet cafés, sports centres, discotheques and theatres have seen a similar fall-off rate.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Banks are being shutdown this Friday as well. It coincides with their federal holiday, but the hope is people will stay home and not spread the flu virus around.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I get real fed up with the 'tough guys' out there laughing at people for being concerned about a pandemic. I'm so cool, check out my bravado. I don't see any panic or unrealistic concern by most folks. personally I believe it is no big deal FOR NOW but if it mutates into a deadly strain then we're in serious trouble, the economic climate will crumble if millions start dying. Anyway, have fun while you can tough guys, you're all so cool.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator
I get real fed up with the 'tough guys' out there laughing at people for being concerned about a pandemic. I'm so cool, check out my bravado. I don't see any panic or unrealistic concern by most folks. personally I believe it is no big deal FOR NOW but if it mutates into a deadly strain then we're in serious trouble, the economic climate will crumble if millions start dying. Anyway, have fun while you can tough guys, you're all so cool.

You really believe A/H1N1 just got created out of thin air do you?

Sad.

Billions will be made over the backs of thousands of victims who were killed by this lab virus. What is really scary is that everyone will line up for their shots.

"Next!" (Another 178$ made)

Four more future sterile kids with god knows what else they thought of.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator

I'm not even concerned with what can become, or fail, of this flu virus strain. I'm MOST concerned with the governmental responses that we have seen worldwide.

The argument and debate shouldn't be about is this "is even a real pandemic or not." Instead, the debate should be highlighting why are the world's governments responding as harshly as they are?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
can anyone tell me if i'm correct on this. Argentina (who are entering their winter months) have 2800 confirmed cases, with 81 deaths. Is this a mortality rate of 2.88% or am i doing it wrong?

The reason i ask, is that in the 1918 spanish flu, they said that 500 million people were infected, with around 50-100 million dying. They also say that the mortality rate for that flu was 2.25%. But i work it out as between 5-10%.

Anyone? What am i doing wrong here?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Looks like Brazil and Argentina are taking this seriously:

news.xinhuanet.com...

Perhaps we should, as well.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by geek101

As far as I can tell, you're correct. If the S. American lethality rate occurs globally we'll see numbers not unlike 1918- yet so many seem to think it's negligable- I don't comprehend the laissez-faire attitude about this. We'll see- and I hope those of us who do take it seriously are ready- because those who don't will find thmeselves wondering why Starbucks and McDonald's and the grocery stores are closed, suddenly, and there are refrigerated trucks removing bodies..

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The funny part is the same people screaming about "why are world governments reacting like this!" would be the same people screaming "they are doing nothing! We are walking into a mutilation with no help or concern!!" if said governments did nothing.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
An interesting paper written by Homeland Security Today magazine, titled "The Flu Next Time: The Spring Flu Outbreak Might Have Been Just a Precursor to a Much More Dangerous Fall. Will We be Ready?"

Homeland Security Today

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Following the Hong Kong health department announcing last Friday that it had confirmed a case of H1N1 that’s resistant to the antiviral Tamiflu, and the disclosures that patients in Denmark and Japan whose H1N1 infections also did not respond to the drug, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Tuesday it does not appear that there’s widespread strain of Tamiflu resistant H1N1 moving through the human population.

"At this point we are not recommending any clinical changes to the approach in treating patients," said WHO Acting Assistant Director-General Keiji Fukuda, who added that, "right now these examples of oseltamivir resistance remain sporadic cases. We do not see any evidence of widespread movement of oseltamivir resistant viruses," he told reporters at a briefing on the matter.

Fukuda said authorities believe the Tamiflu-resistant viruses were the result of isolated mutations and not a reassortment or combination with other influenza strains as virologists have feared.

Indeed. As the H1N1 flu virus has begun to spread through the southern hemisphere during this region’s winter months, there have been growing concerns that the virus might comingle with other seasonal virus known to have strong resistance to Tamiflu – and some of the other antivirals – as well as the deadly and frequent antiviral resistant H5N1 influenza that has an extraordinarily high mortality rate.

WHO spokesperson Dick Thompson said the latest persons to express resistance to Tamiflu appear to be “isolated cases,” saying “at this time, there is no public health implication. But we must remain alert as the virus can change at any time and we must not be complacent.”
www.hstoday.us...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Fourteen Britons who had contracted H1N1 flu have died and the rapid spread of infection in two areas of the country is close to epidemic level, health officials said on Thursday.
The Department of Health said Britain now had 9,718 laboratory-confirmed cases, the third most in the world behind the United States and Mexico.

Britain's Chief Medical Officer Liam Donaldson said the actual number of cases was likely to be higher.
www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It came back.... again.

97.6 temp. Cannot keep away from bathroom for long.

Feeling cold as heck, but sweating.... weird, weird.

Good time to self-prescribe anti-bacterial? lol

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join