It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil Finds New Strain of H1N1 Virus--Worst-Case Scenario Becoming Real Now!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Absum!

Look at the CFR Death rate. Peter Osborn H1N1

Please look at the cdc website on swine flu or H1N1. The death rate is very minimal compared to the amount of cases reported. Also for the record here. I work in a hospital in Texas and none of us are "freaking out" about the swine flu. We are on guard and using Universal Precautions which mostly includes good handwashing. As healthcare workers we are on the frontlines of any pandemic and seriously the media has hyped the hell out of this. I have yet to have anyone i know come down with swine flu much less die of it. I think your odds are better to die in a car crash or get hit by a bus. I am not saying people arent getting it and i am not saying people arent dying from it but you need to look at the fact that the CDC reports that almost 36,000 people die yearly from the flu. Thats the regular ol flu not swine flu.
Please refere to this link for those facts.Seasonal Flu
The link for the swine flu updated June 12th is here
H1N1 CDC PAGE.

Now far be it for me to take away anyones right to be scared out of their minds, however it just galls me as a healthcare worker to see people spreading misinformation about such a health issue.

Its this kind of media hype that led me to spend 16 hours on the road driving my family from Pasadena Texas to Austin Texas when Hurrican Rita was heading towards the Gulf coast. Sad thing is they "projected" a possible scenario in order to be proactive and try to save lives instead of sheltering in place as we should have and it ended up costing the city of Houston millions of dollars as well as being just a complete waste of time. I now refuse to let the media "freak me out" when it comes to their projected anything.

WHO’s decision to raise the pandemic alert level to Phase 6 is a reflection of the spread of the virus, not the severity of illness caused by the virus.

It needs to be stated here that the spread of this virus was known to cover the world. Did anyone seriously think this or any virus can or will be localized anywhere in a world where global travel occurs everyday on such a massive scale? This was a foregone conclusion. The words pandemic and Phase 6 freaks everyone out because of the connotations to the word pandemic in history. It conjurs up images being thrown up by the media of mass deaths due to past pandemics. Jeesh enough already from the media.

Also in reply to the post regarding the mutation of the sine flu. The swine flu's history is not new. It was the same flu that was responsible for deaths in 1918 and also a variant of it in 1976 and there was a vaccine in 1976 but the vaccine cause complications itself. There have been several mutations on this same H1N1 flu that has lead to deaths but rememeber that it was the mutation of the flu that also stopped it from being lethal. It mutated into a less lethal form of flu but has been around for a very long time. Research!!!

When i SEE people dying i will worry and then maybe not even then unless there is the possibility there is a cure or prevention. If not then its just like any other disease in this world i have a chance of getting. I might or i might not but one thing is for sure, I am going to die eventually and i will die of something. God only knows what of.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Further articles on swine flu.

Homeland Security

H1N1 Vaccine?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

Sure, it's hyped. After all, it's not like it's killed anywhere near 36,000 flu related pneumonia deaths.

Oh wait, it is a novel virus gone pandemic set to infect 1/3 of the global population with a CFR at least twice what the last two pandemics were. The last two which killed over a million each.

2.2billion infected with .4% CFR is still over 8 million deaths.

Seeing as the media has barely touched the subject for the last 6 weeks, I don't think it's possible to say this flu is hyped.

It's a reality.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by unityemissions]

[edit on 17-6-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

What you are missing is that the .4 % CFR is hyped.

They are only confirming hospitalized cases in the US.

I live in Massachusetts, and everyone in my community has had the cough for the last week. One student and one teacher have been diagnosed having the H1N1 in my community, while everyone has had it.

The CFR is exaggerated.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Are you serious? Good god read a little about this virus first. Stop taking what the media is spreading.Possible projections. Jeesh. It is poised? poised? seriously?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

I'm not missing that. The other side is that we're probably not hearing of all the deaths from the flu either. I don't know that anyone has a real idea of what the CFR is. Didn't the CDC estimate between .3-1.5%?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

You're assumptions are wrong. I don't watch MSM. What is it that I said which makes you think it comes from there?

The 36,000 are deaths from pneumonia caused by flu infections. Only hundreds die of the virus in the U.S. yearly.

And yeah, I'm not that articulate. Sometimes I mix up words. My bad. Fixed. Is it really that big a deal? Surely, you could understand what I meant.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

8 million people will slip and hit there heads in the bathtub this month world wide or other types of slip and falls too... it doesn't mean i'm going to stop taking a bath...

The other posters are right, we shouldn't be alarmist, mutations can go in any direction

I think we are just entering a day and age where we can actually track these things, this is good we should... but a single scary mutation doesn't mean it's going to go anywhere, not for sure...

If we had ever been able to do this before some of the things we would see would be allot more scary than this and nothing happened

Even the last pandemic, deaths would have been greatly reduced, perhaps with the knowledge we have now, it could have been contained or vastly slowed...

This is a healthy global effort, something that we need to do...

But ride on assumptions is something we can not afford to do

another poster was right when we see mass deaths we should worry,

Until then, perhaps we need to learn a lesson on good hygiene and sanitation etc, etc... now that we can see the progress and spread of these disease and are being made aware.

But I do not expect this to kill that many people beyond comparison with any other flu this year.

Worse, stress and fear weaken the immune system and if there is any truth to the manifestation of thought, it can only encourage the spread of the virus on multiple levels to have a consciousness of fear...

definitively on a level of stress and immune function

and speculatively but possibly on a level of manifestation of thought

Calm Down

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
So glad the OP found and caught this information. Here's a link from a Google-sponsored AP report:

www.google.com...

Those fears heightened a little Tuesday, when a Brazil's Adolfo Lutz Bacteriological Institute said its researchers had identified and isolated a new strain of the A(H1N1) virus in a Sao Paulo patient.

It was not yet known whether that variant, called A/Sao Paulo/1454/H1N1, was more aggressive than the more common type.

The institute said in a statement the mutation comprised of alterations in the Hemagglutinin protein which allows the virus to infect new hosts.

I'm sure this will compromise the vaccines that have been ostensibly created by Novartis or Baxter,or many of the others in the machine- who have H1N1 seed strain.

China is also closely moniotring mainland mutations- from Xihua news; and will report if any mutations are found.

I think the strains (whether from Brazil or elsewhere) are already in the N. Hemisphere, as more and more of the deaths in the US are occuring within 24-72 hours, and many more children and healthy teens and 20s are falling ill and dying rapidly without having underlying conditions.

It apprears that what we have feared might be occurring- and the timeline is nearly identical to the 1918 outbreak- it was between July and the end of August/early September that the virus truly "exploded" in those whom it killed, rather than those who it merely infected.

The plot thickens. Stay well, all.

C

[edit on 17-6-2009 by CultureD]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CultureD

I'm sure this will compromise the vaccines that have been ostensibly created by Novartis or Baxter,or many of the others in the machine- who have H1N1 seed strain.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by CultureD]

Now that scientists have officially found a new strain, this does confirm the fact the vaccines, already-in-manufacturing, will not combat this particular strain.

Yes, it is too early to determine if the newest strain is lethal/deadly...but what if it is?

Yikes, time to push back the vaccination timeline.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I think, this is simply a new time in history where we can actually track and follow a disease so readily.

It reminds me of how on Star Trek they could be exposed to a germ on a planet and within a day or so come up with a cure...

It all sounds very scary, but even 20 years ago we could never even hope to counter such a disease let alone maybe even realize this was happening until after the fact when records were compared

Far from fear, this is perhaps a great day in the fight against global disease

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Your post reminded me of this other thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
I think, this is simply a new time in history where we can actually track and follow a disease so readily.

It reminds me of how on Star Trek they could be exposed to a germ on a planet and within a day or so come up with a cure...

It all sounds very scary, but even 20 years ago we could never even hope to counter such a disease let alone maybe even realize this was happening until after the fact when records were compared

Far from fear, this is perhaps a great day in the fight against global disease

I like the optimistic outlook and you do hit on a great point--we have the ability, and willingness, to now track diseases and outbreaks so we can try to prevent them from becoming pandemics.

I don't have the medical and scientific training, as many other ATS'ers obviously have, but I don't want to just discredit the potential severity of a "pandemic" just yet. I'm not going to assume the world is coming to and end, just yet. But I certainly am keeping my eye on how this progresses.

Now that we know a second Swine Fllu H1N1 has now evolved, I'm curious to know how this new strain spreads.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This just came from the Drudge Report:

China plans to restrict movement in residential areas and shut down entertainment centres to prevent the H1N1 flu strain from spreading, under worst case contingency plans released by the health ministry on Wednesday.

The ministry says stringent quarantine measures on incoming travellers have prevented the disease from spreading among the general population.

With 264 cases as of Wednesday, and new cases cropping up around China, the ministry's new plan seeks to address possible outbreaks in residential neighborhoods.

Schools could be closed and meetings or gatherings delayed or cancelled, the plan said.
www.alertnet.org...

Boy, just wait until they find out about the new strain...as if they don't already know, right?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tartarspoon
It's kinda funny. The hype has died down but the infected numbers keep rising. Last i heard it was around 30,000 people infected.

I noticed the same thing. Before we had any infections here in The Netherlands it was on the news everyday, evertwhere. We had the first patient on May 7 up untill June 8 all infections where people that had traffeled to US, CA or Mexico. Since June 8, so in just 9 days we now have 38 people that where infected here. But almost nobody is reporting this. Really the hype is over but the problems are only starting.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by MOFreemason

bah, more sensationalist h1n1 bandwagon hype

IMHO, the common flu mutates as it goes around the world each year and it is more deadly than h1n1, it kills the old, young and those with immune problems

h1n1 has barely made a dent compared to the constantly mutating seasonal flu

the only way I'd see real panic is if you dropped dead within a few hours or a few days, which is not the case

heck even montezuma's revenge is worse

Exactly. People are making this a worse deal than it is.

The common flu leads to thousands of deaths per year. This new virus has killed about a 160? I'm waiting for this new strain that's more "intense" though. it should be interesting.......

Until then, I'm more concerned about Obama as president.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

What's 0.454% of nearly 7 billion?

Not so small now is it?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
BOGUS. FEAR MONGERING.

They are pushing the agenda.

Baxter is responsible.

in.news.yahoo.com...

Criminal charges filed in Austria against Baxter

birdflu666.wordpress.com...

Enough is enough...

T4H

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Best thing we can do is wait and see if this mutated virus has deadlier effects and higher infecting rates, well if it does then gosh that sucks

Btw that video, 3 flu shots? Trust my government? Last time I got a flu shot (around 12 years old) I was so damn sick, i was actually so delirious I was having hallucinations of a friend chatting with me in bed.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_Sushkov

"Trust the government." That video stunned me in so many different ways.

As you mentioned, we'll have to just wait-and-see.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join