It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School District: 7.5 hours = $7M ... in State Fundings ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
School District: 7.5 hours = $7M ... in State Fundings ?

This seems ridiculous.

blogs.usatoday.com...
Schools often have shortened days for parent conferences and teacher planning. Under state law, a school day must be at least 180 minutes. An internal audit by the Chino Valley Unified School District discovered 34 days had been 175 minutes at Doris Dickson Elementary and 170 at Rolling Ridge Elementary, the Times says.

That means an abbreviated summer for the fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders at those schools so the district doesn't lose $7 million in state funds.

... all due to an administrative clerical error. m'kay.

So, 5 and/or 10 minutes of grab-assing in the hallways, over the course of 34 days, costs the kids another 34 days in classes or the school district $7M in state fundings.

Utter friggin' nonsense.

... and, yet, we wonder Why, with regards the mess our economy's in. :shk:

34 more days of class, facility and daily maintenance costs/expenses, per diems, etc.

:shk:

yet another fine example of being choked by the same red-taped abomination we've created and allowed to further gain root.

Sometimes, you just have to shake your head... :shk:

...other times you find yourself wanting to shake others'

[edit on 16-6-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
great! so what will we teach them for 34 days? i think our education system has become a joke really. and this kind of just enhances that thought.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm completely for getting rid of the public education system. Under certain conditions.

For what most people pay in state sales tax and property tax they could afford private school.

Public Education has become nothing more to give the government reason to pick your pocket.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I didn't read this as them having to go an extra 34 days, but an additional X amount of days (i suck at math) to add up for the lost minutes on those 34 days. That seems more logical.

Unless state law pretty much is saying those days flat-out don't count...and if that's the case, that's just plain idiotic.

Edit: After re reading the article, that seems it is indeed the case. All because of some administrator's idiocy, these kids' summer gets royally screwed...

Then again, the law is stupid as it is. They should have loophole to just extend the school day. That's how they rectified missed time for me in high school when a tornado destroyed most of my school. The just made the days start 15 minutes early and end 15 minutes later. We made up the missed time in a few weeks, without having to extend the school year a single day.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

That's Exactly the case. They've basically negated entire days for the sake of 5/10 minutes throughout the 34.

Again.. Utter nonsense.... if you ask me. (?)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I am sure that if you guys are patient enough, Obama will take care of the education system.

He is already trying to overhaul the healthcare and financial sector and IMO, education isn't too far behind.

As far as the extra days, it just doesn't make sense. Just goes to show how the government uses money to get people to do what it wants.

top topics

join