It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. State Department speaks to Twitter over Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

U.S. State Department speaks to Twitter over Iran

www.reuters.com

The U.S. State Department said on Tuesday it had contacted the social networking service Twitter to urge it to delay a planned upgrade that would have cut daytime service to Iranians who are disputing their election.

Confirmation that the U.S. government had contacted Twitter came as the Obama administration sought to avoid suggestions it was meddling in Iran's internal affairs as the Islamic Republic battled to control deadly street protests over the election result.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
ATS readers have long believed that social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter are nothing more than intelligence tools for data mining. While I want to believe this is not true, stories like this only confirm my worst fears.

While this websites and tools can certainly prove to be a resourceful tool to gather information, I can't help but believe DHS, CIA, FBI etc. use these tools regularly. Worse yet, I actually believe the sites were created as intelligence-gathering tools specifically FOR the U.S. government.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Probably so, but I don't want to believe it is true, especially with the role that Twitter has played in the last few days in Iran.

Power to the people! Down with the Watchers.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

These social networking tools have already-proven to be such power tools for the citizenry, allowing us to connect with one another and share opinions on stories/happenings all around the world. Disguising ourselves around a sembelence of anonymity, we are a tad bit braver to share our REAL opinions with one another, without fear of being called a "traitor" or "whack-job."

Sadly, I think the day will come though when these tools are used against the citizenry. Either shut down entirely to restrict the communications or to use our past opinions/statements against us.

Lord, I hope not!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Could it also be that we don't want the people thinking that we have sided with anyone?
I mean really they are having to use twitter to communicate with one another aren't they? What are they going to think if we shut it down right in the midst of what is happening there. They sure aren't going to understand it is for an upgrade! They will obviously think we are "trying" to keep them silenced.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

That is an excellent point...and certainly helps squelch my conspiracy-theorist mind that runs on overdrive at times!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

It is very interesting the way technology is going today. They are getting the citizens hooked on free knowledge and immediate communication. God help the elites if they try to reign in this technology, they will be looking at a world wide revolution.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Twitter is the Libertarian's best friend.

It takes time-lag and third parties (MSM) out of the equation for information exchange.

It's a wonderful tool for all of us, and we should all be on the lookout for any efforts by the powers that be to mess with it (of course the State Department wasn't trying to do so, at least not in any negative way, on this occasion).

search.twitter.com... -- check it if you haven't already.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It is my understanding that most of the information coming out of Iran is from twitter (cell phones ).

The US is not saying attack the crowds nor is it supporting the current government.

All it did was ask them, not tell them mind you, to stay live so as to leave the information method open.

Sorry, I see nothing wrong with that.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
CNN was reporting earlier tonight, that Iran is now purposely blocking all IP addresses from directing to Twitter, YouTube and other social networking websites.

This is a true shame, as it restricts the information from now becoming more visible to the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

ATS is a data mining website for the CIA as well. I hope you understand that. The CIA caused the riots in Iran, so naturally they want twitter to remain open to control US and world opinions for war. Someones going to drop a nuke on US soil and then we are going to war. Probably NK and Iran. It will be Obamas "War on Nukes" or some bs.

Also these websites dont have to be created by the CIA. They have accesss to all traffic going thru the internet to this site. Its like snatching info out of thin air. ATS, Myspace, twitter or whatever would have no idea they were mining the site. Or getting IP address's of people for that matter.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

I definitely fear that ATS is also a playground for CIA intelligence operatives. I guess I want to not believe it fully.

As for a false-flag, or black ops, regarding nukes...that too, may be quite true.

new topics

top topics

join