It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans believe Internet news most reliable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Americans believe Internet news most reliable

www.wnd.com

A new poll reveals that more Americans would choose the Internet as their only news source than TV, radio and newspapers combined, and Internet reports are considered much more reliable that other mediums.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.zogby.com

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

The survey, which contacted more than 3,000 people and has a margin of error of 1.8 percent, revealed 38 percent believe news from the Internet is the most reliable, followed by television at less than half that figure – 17 percent. Newspapers were in third at 16 percent and 13 percent chose radio."

Zogby Poll

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/baae3a5cff55.jpg[/atsimg]

Well I know I'm one of the people who think the internet is a more reliable source. Now with that said there is also alot of BS on the net, but at least you have the option of finding the most credible source. For instance if I want scienfitic news, I will go to a science related website. I also think sites like ATS are great because the member feedback often confirms or denys the authenticity of the article.

www.wnd.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I think with the option to find many sources for news on the internet is the reason for this result.

You can find 100's if not 1000's independent and freelance reporters/photographers on the net compared to one one report you get on TV or radio. Sifting though the mountains of BS and disinfo to find what you believe or don't believe is up to you.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The internet just has so many sources! Most importantly is has so many sources that are not on someones payroll. IT IS THE TRUE FREE PRESS.

Long live the FREE internet.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I agree with you guys, the Internet is the best place for news because we CAN get other peoples views and many sources and combine them to find the truth. Here we can corroborate or debunk.

Anyone who can type now has a loud booming voice throughout the Entire World ...the Internet is humanities last best hope for peace on Earth!

I am so happy to see that over half of the people polled are on the right path here! Exiting times we live in for sure!

People are waking up

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

As much as i agree with you muzzleflash, you gotta remember most of the people are still visiting FOX, CNN and BBC news sites more than any other. They might as well buy the newspapers or watch the TV.

A good majority of people though i think now search for the news from different sources but i don't think their "Booming voices" are quite loud enough. Often i feel a lot of very good reporters are preaching to the converted sadly.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Totally agree with this poll and other posters. Internet is great for news. For one thing, there is more to choose from. For another internet news sites usually reveal their bias pretty readily, so you know what you're getting, and you can go to various ones to get opposing viewpoints. I also like the blogosphere. again it's easy to see where people are coming from. a lot of times, the blog's name alone reveals the passion behind it. so you read it and you read others. personally i find myself going back to some regularly while i lose interest in others pretty quickly. then there is a place like ATS where i am exposed to news i don't necessarily hear about elsewhere and then various takes on things. it's an amazing opportunity for us. i only hope it lasts. i can't believe that the current regime in power must be concerned about the amount of information we now have at our fingertips.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuse_orders
reply to post by muzzleflash

As much as i agree with you muzzleflash, you gotta remember most of the people are still visiting FOX, CNN and BBC news sites more than any other. They might as well buy the newspapers or watch the TV.

A good majority of people though i think now search for the news from different sources but i don't think their "Booming voices" are quite loud enough. Often i feel a lot of very good reporters are preaching to the converted sadly.

Just b/c they are checking the MSM sites doesn't mean they aren't checking ATS, tweets, and other information sources. I don't know u may be right, but anyone under 30 is all over the internet.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
One of the major advantages for me is that on the internet you can dictate what news you view and when you view it. News casts often hold the good stuff until the end and "tease" it to keep you watching the newscast. Also, all I get on the local news is murder, shooting, fire, robbery, etc...

-E-

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This is a poll, not a survey

of course majority of internet users that filled out the poll would say that

I do apologize but it means nothing.

That's like going to a 9/11 truther convention and asking how many people trust the govt. lol

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is a great thread and I couldn't agree more with the results. One of the main reasons would probably be that I can check and verify the information given and follow any links to back up the source as well.

The other option would be instant discussions and therefore see how real people think and feel about the issues and not just the Bureau of Propaganda and their talking heads spoon feeding me what 'they' want me to hear and see.

The Internet manages to go where otherwise you find only media blackouts because it is controlled by citizens and not paid programmers.

It is the direction of the future and I am amazed to watch as the revolution happens. In the old days people talked about revolt, today we create resolutions and simply bypass the system of lies lies and more lies.

Another thing on the chopping block is Satellite TV because there are so many new options springing up on the Internet that far surpass TV for good family entertainment. I can watch what I want when I want for pennies on the dollar per day.

And I would imagine that by the next voting period of 2012 it will be done primarily via the Internet for campaigns if they plan to win the election. I think this time around were the proving grounds for that.

Lets just hope that we can keep the legislators on our side to maintain a free flow of traffic and not get stuck in the quagmire of political gains ruining it with control and censorship.

Some of our younger members should go into politics to bring about change, real change and to protect the future technologies.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
This is a poll, not a survey

of course majority of internet users that filled out the poll would say that

I do apologize but it means nothing.

That's like going to a 9/11 truther convention and asking how many people trust the govt. lol

From Zogby's website located in the related links section of OP

A Zogby analysis of these and other similar polling questions showed that the Zogby online methodology had negligible impact on the findings of the survey

-E-

[edit on 16-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I regularly buy a mainstream newspaper, visit several mainstream news sites, and visit several non-mainstream news sites.

I like to read news articles from several sources and glean as much information as I can. Things mentioned in one place are not always mentioned in others, a witness interviewed by x is not always the same as interviewed by y.

If I had answered this poll I would have answered all of the above, an option they do not have. I do not rely on one source, or one media for my news.

*notices title* But I'm not American, so I guess I don't really count.

[edit on 16/6/09 by AngelInterceptor]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

To right, don't get me wrong i was by no means trying to generalise on the the mass populace. I was just stating that lots of people still follow the MSM as their only source of news/info. Hopefully though many google story's that interest them or catch their eye and find out the real truth, one way or another.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

I can only hope the sheeple start to actually explore the internet and not just type in cnn.com when they get online!

Too many do just that, you are very right.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

I agree. I am just at 30
and I read all those sites as well. I am also always on ATS. I read on here daily. When I read something questionable I come here to check it out first. If I see something on the news I go online to look further into it.

top topics

join