It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Fines Parking in Own Driveways

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
I have recieved several thirty dollar tickets for parking in my driveway when I lived in Burbank, California. The thing was that the driveway was so short that it was inevitable that the trunk of the vehicle overhung into the sidewalk just a bit...but nothing that prevented pedestrian passage. As well, the tickets always showed up on alternating Sundays.

Annoying as hell and needless to say that those tickets remain unpaid...

The alternating Sunday's is so odd! Up here in the North there are certain days of the week that they come out in FULL force and pull people over left and right for EVERYTHING you can imagine! We stopped going out to get anything on Mondays and Thursdays because on those two days we saw at least 6 people pulled over in a one mile trip to the store for a whole month.
They had new people pulled over in the same place's when we where on our way back and we knew one guy.
Hub called him when we got back and asked him what he got pulled over for....his tail lights where supposedly malfunctioning on a BRAND NEW TRUCK. They then gave him a ticket for not having "insurance paper's" in the truck only a card that can "belong to any car he has". Problem is that "card" is our proof of insurance through AAA but the judge found for the cop who actually had shown up for all of his ticket's. No one stood a chance if the cop show's up here you are doomed....
( My sister's ex is proof, the one time he didn't show up for his ticket's all but 4 got dismissed.)

Maybe we should all start doing a poll type research and see if there are certain days in our area's that they are handing out tickets and take a taxi or public transportation on those days!

[edit on 16-6-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I live in one of those private incorporated communities in Miami Beach. The explosion of the Real Estate Bubble has left my municipality scrambling for cash through its ridiculously large police force. The town is literally one square mile has 53 police officers and detectives including 26 squad cars, 3 SUVS, one Canine Unit, 4 Beach ATVS, 4 Harley Davidson Police Motorcycles, and 6 Bicycles.

Needles to say I never worry about locking my door but the traffic ticketing has gotten so bad, I haven’t started my car in four months now and walk and ride my bicycle everywhere just to avoid all the frivolous ticketing and the inconvenience of being stopped for nonsensical citations.

Each officer has a quota of tickets they have to write to keep there job, the Department itself has contests to award prizes to the Officer that writes the most tickets.

Now in an attempt to play Devils advocate here which is silly since most people accuse me of being the Devil himself…

Most cars especially older ones leak oil, transmission, radiator, and brake fluid. When it leaks onto the pavement a smaller percentage of it gets into the ground water and the water table.

Using this premise as a guise to increase revenue at the expense of the citizen is likely what these crazy politicians are thinking in this particular instance.

I can tell you that one of the most lucrative support jobs in the Petroleum industry is separation and recovery. If you owned a gasoline station, closed it down and want to sell the property or put up another type of business an environmental impact study first has to be done on the land, and then a company needs to be hired to come in and clean up the ground soil by separating out all the petroleum and chemicals that have leaked or spilt out of the storage tanks over the years. It’s a real process and a big business that has a lot to do with the water table and the environment. There is some sound thinking behind these ordinances from a green standpoint but of course just like the crazy traffic ticketing run amuck in my town, the timing is of quite circumspect to say the least.

Decent idea on environmental grounds, wrong time, wrong place on political grounds…

Some tree hugger yell “If not now then when?”…what a world!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Most cars especially older ones leak oil, transmission, radiator, and brake fluid. When it leaks onto the pavement a smaller percentage of it gets into the ground water and the water table.

When it leaks on soil, it may directly kill the spot that it leaked, but it will ultimately sink lower and lower until reaching a natural trap, or an underground water aquifer. The underground aquifer naturally filters itself through limestone or reeds or other sources. The natural trap has similar properties.

However, when it leaks onto pavement, the next rainstorm washes it as runoff into streams and lakes where it stays on the surface of the water and affects wildlife and vegetation. It also reaches the sewers and costs the taxpayers more money, and it sometimes reaches the drinking water!

I vote to let it drip in their own yards, not the pavement! I also vote for vehicle inspections in Florida. We had them in Missouri, and the cars were maintained much better. For such a "green" state, we are missing the boat on vehicle maintenance!

[edit on 16-6-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

When it leaks on soil, it may directly kill the spot that it leaked, but it will ultimately sink lower and lower until reaching a natural trap, or an underground water aquifer. The underground aquifer naturally filters itself through limestone or reeds or other sources. The natural trap has similar properties.

However, when it leaks onto pavement, the next rainstorm washes it as runoff into streams and lakes where it stays on the surface of the water and affects wildlife and vegetation. It also reaches the sewers and costs the taxpayers more money, and it sometimes reaches the drinking water!

I vote to let it drip in their own yards, not the pavement! I also vote for vehicle inspections in Florida. We had them in Missouri, and the cars were maintained much better. For such a "green" state, we are missing the boat on vehicle maintenance!

[edit on 16-6-2009 by getreadyalready]

I appreciate you expounding on what I touched upon and while I am neither a chemist or a molecular biologist what you share does seem to make sense.

I am against vehicle inspections though primarily because they tend to harm the working poor more than they help the environment.

When I lived in Los Angeles smog became trapped by the San Bernadino Mountains and having strict emissions there made good sense from an air quality standpoint.

Here in flat as a pancake Florida air circulates freely though and the polution index is minimal as a result of that.

Ultimately for a lot of the working poor there transportation to scarce and far flung jobs is what keeps them off the welfare rolls or minimal on the welfare rolls (maybe just medical insurance for the kids versus food stamps and cash) and allows them a better quality of dignity and life. Take away there old beater from them and saddle them with a costly repair they can't possibly afford or a large downpayment on a new car for credit they often can't get, and now they are trapped at home.

Here in Miami there are not many cars that would fit into that beater category and the impact it would have on the human life that could no longer drive them would probably be greater than the impact it would have on the environment.

Personally I think the only thing the government should regulate is a two hour work week and free hot dogs and sodas for everyone!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What would they do with one of these?

www.frankejames.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
thank god you posted this,,, i almost fell out my chair,,,,

a ticket because youi have a gravel driveway,,,, at a house you own,, and pay taxes on

and the mayor is a total a-hole,,,,, do you see how cocky and arrogant he is,,,, he needs a good beat down

what is america coming too,,,,,

also----why is this the law,,,,i can only think,,,, to keep oil from entering the ground causing contamination,,, otherwise what is the reasoning for this law????

this made me so mad

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
To All:

Please note that perhaps the day will come when we will ALL be forbidden to drive or operate any engine or car that uses gasoline or other petroleum based fuel.

Reason: Oil shortages, environment, and high penalties to violators.

Electric or solar power cars will be allowed. People powered transports will be allowd (ie: bicycle)

This vision may arrive a good 10-15 years into the future, or maybe even further into the future; but that day will come.

Oil will eventually run out, or be so expensive that college costs will be cheaper than fuel.

-EyesII

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
To All:

Sorry, another thought.

Would they ticket your car if it was a Prius, or other electric vehicle?

What does the local ordinance state?

-EyesII

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Sorry for the short reply here, but......

WTF????

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This really makes me think of this movie clip.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by shortywarn
thank god you posted this,,, i almost fell out my chair,,,,

a ticket because youi have a gravel driveway,,,, at a house you own,, and pay taxes on

and the mayor is a total a-hole,,,,, do you see how cocky and arrogant he is,,,,

You have no idea... seriously google his name and read up.

Wiki

Controversy
Known as much for his temper as his work ethic, many allegations surfaced throughout Finkbeiner's two terms, and more continue to surface in his third.

Toledo restaurateur John Skiadas filed a law-suit alleging that Finkbeiner physically and verbally assaulted him at the Erie Street Market in 2000. The lawsuit was dismissed by Lucas County Common Pleas Judge Charles Wittenberg in 2004.[2][3]

Erie Street Market which has become a money pit[citation needed].
In March, 1999, Mr. Finkbeiner called for a boycott of Little Caesar’s Pizza because the franchise owners’ involvement in a proposed Rossford sports arena. Some Little Caesar’s stores renamed their Crazy Bread “Carty Bread.” [4]

In her lawsuit filed in 1999, former city employee Carolyn Smithers claimed that Mr. Finkbeiner “accosted her with a ceramic coffee mug clenched in his fist” and shouted, “I ought to hit you with this!” She contends the mug struck the side of her face. Despite the fact that Finkbeiner denied the incident, Finkbeiner signed the $35,000 settlement on Jan. 29, 2001. [5]

In 1997, Finkbeiner phoned a 19-year-old West Toledo woman from his car to tell her that she may not keep chickens in her yard. Finkbeiner not only denied her a permit to keep the chickens, but he also "got very, very mad" at her. [6]

Finkbeiner was the focus of a segment on the Daily Show poking fun at statements he made suggesting that Toledo could be the next Hollywood. During the interview, Carty expressed his ideas while the camera fixated on Toledo's most rundown neighborhoods, contrasting them with the glitz and glamour of Hollywood.

The segment aired during the 1997-98 season.
On July 1, 1998, Finkbeiner was fined $400 and court costs after pleading guilty to ethics charges when he was Mayor, realized a $10,000 profit from Owens Corning's purchase of his condo, and his failure to publicly report the gain [7]

He plagiarized a single line in his KICK-OFF speech in 1998.[8]
Finkbeiner suggested relieving the problem of noise complaints from neighbors of Toledo Express Airport by selling homes nearby at low cost to deaf people.[9]

In early 2006, political adversaries scoffed over the Mayor spending $9,996 of city money to complete the installation of shower facilities in his City Government building office. The project was considered "controversial" in part because the shower quote was originally $10,006, six dollars over a threshold that requires approval from City Council. The contractor was able to shave $10 from the project, thus avoiding a Council vote on the proposal. [10]

In May 2006, he called Toledo's African-American Fire Chief Michael Bell “King Kong” at a staff meeting. Finkbeiner later clarified his remarks as relating to the Chiefs physical stature, and Chief Bell has acknowledged in public that he took no offense to the remarks.[11]
In June 2006, Jack Smith resigned from his brief tenure as Chief of Police after what he described as a near-physical confrontation with the mayor after they exchanged words.[12]

In January 2007, Finkbeiner claimed that both he and wife Amy were treated unprofessionally by Ottawa County sheriff's deputies when they tried to visit Amy's son, an inmate, on separate occasions. Amy Finkbeiner claimed she was not allowed to use a ladies' room at the jail, while Finkbeiner said he was denied a chance to visit after visiting hours had concluded. Sheriff Bob Bratton said the deputies were only doing their jobs. [13]

Also, in January 2007 Finkbeiner and his press secretary were sued by radio station WSPD, claiming that First Amendment provisions regarding freedom of the press were violated when the press secretary forcibly kept a station employee out of a public press conference. Finkbeiner's objection to the employee is that he produces opinions and editorials, and is not in fact a reporter on behalf of WSPD. On January 31, a federal judge granted the station a permanent injunction requiring Finkbeiner and his staff to admit station personnel.[14]

Finkbeiner has also suggested a cafe be built on the Martin Luther King bridge so city employees could eat there while the bridge was undergoing construction. [15]

In August 2007, Finkbeiner was confronted on two occasions by reporters because he parked in a handicapped spot and left his dog, Scout, in the car during a hot spell. Finkbeiner was ticketed and fined, but denied mistreating the animal.[16]

In February 2008, Finkbeiner refused to let a company of 200

[17] Marine Corps Reservists engage in urban patrol exercises on the streets of downtown as well as inside the mostly vacant Madison Building, 607 Madison Ave. Toledo police knew about the event three days in advance, but it wasn't until the Marines arrived that "the mayor asked them to leave because they frighten people," said Brian Schwartz, the mayor's spokesman.

[18] Finkbeiner defended his decision to cancel the exercise, but in an e-mail to Marine Corps officials, he expressed support for the Marines and the military and invited the Marine unit to return to Toledo for training, but not downtown. In reaction to the uproar Finkbeiner has offered conflicting explanations for his denial. During a recent interview Finkbeiner used the profanity to describe the situation he caused as a "#ing ruckus." In a related note, Schwartz was suspended by the city for 15 days without pay for a series of alleged incidents toward members of the media, particularly one in which he used obscenities toward a producer at radio station WJR in Detroit, who had called to arrange an interview with Finkbeiner. Schwartz later hired an attorney, claiming Finkbeiner and chief of staff Bob Reinbolt violated his civil rights. [19]

In summer 2008, Finkbeiner spent nearly $80,000 of taxpayer money (without City Council approval) to renovate Bay 4 the Erie Street Market into a concert venue. According to the City Charter, the mayor may spend up to $10,000 without City Council approval. Finkbeiner broke the nearly $80,000 into 13 separate contracts under $10,000 to circumvent council's approval. Moreover, Finkbeiner tapped local concert promoter, Rob Croak, to schedule events at the Erie Street Market. Croak was convicted on one count of forgery and has been arrested for but not convicted of underage alcohol sales, according to court records. The forgery conviction stems from a 2001 accusation that Croak falsified records to obtain a liquor permit.
[20] Also, Croak owes thousands of dollars in back state and federal taxes.

[21] Since December 2008, there have been no concert events held at the Erie Street Market [22], and the city has not recouped its investment in the concert venue.

In 2009, Take Back Toledo (a group of Toledo area businessmen whose goal is to foster a pro-business, pro-jobs and pro-economic development climate in Northwestern Ohio) led a campaign to recall Finkbeiner from office. On April 15th, the Lucas County Board of Elections validated 20,400 signature, enough to recall Finkbeiner.

[23] On April 20th, Clerk of Council Jerry Dendinger hand-delivered a recall notice to Finkbeiner. According to the City Charter, Finkbeiner has five days to resign or face a recall vote on the November election. [24] Finkbeiner refused to resign and hired a law firm to contest the validity of the recall petition signatures.

[25] If the recall goes on the November ballot, Finkbeiner will be the second mayor of a major Ohio city in state history to be on a recall ballot. The first mayor of a major Ohio city to face a recall election was Cleveland Mayor Dennis Kucinich, whose recall was defeated on the ballot in 1978. [26]

In April 2009, despite Toledo having the lowest police per 1,000 resident ratio in Ohio, Finkbeiner announced his plans to layoff an additional 150 officers. After the layoffs take effect, Toledo will have only 1.6 police officers per 1,000 residents. In order to maintain a basic level of protection and safety on the streets, numerous units are being eliminated or reduced. Some of these units are the Gang Task Force, Mounted Patrol, School Resource Officer, Crime Analysis, Traffic, SWAT, Vice, and Community Services. This controversy has led to the Toledo Police Department filing a lawsuit against the City of Toledo in an effort to stop the layoffs. [27]

In June 2009, Finkbeiner supported the $25 tickets issued by the Division of Streets, Bridges, and Harbor to residents for parking in their own driveways. He claimed the tickets were given due to a city law that prohibits parking on unpaved surfaces, which includes gravel driveways. Despite criticism, Finkbeiner denied the fines were related to the city's financial woes. [28]

[edit on 17-6-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Bad for Mayor in the next elections.
Unless he can do a Bloumberg.
The out come of which is still awaiting trial.

Law makers find as many paydays as wall street but only
legal.

Go to law school instead of out West young man.
Or however the saying went.

It does seems the cement concession has
a lock the pavement requirements although what happened
to the grandfather clause. This law didn't happen over night.
Another story with many holes.

According to the Gotti snitch there was a lot of cement payday
hikes during the building of the World Trade Towers. Cement
was handled by all the right people.

XL5

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I have a solution...lay down alot of plywood with big nails and then get that "rock coating" paint and make it look paved. Could always leave it bare just to screw with them.

As for the sidwalk, if your bumper sticks out half way...paint over part of the sidewalk and your driveway to make the sidewalk look like it curves. Then take lots of photos for proof.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Government is turning into an HOA. Jeez!!!!!

I mean really. In Gilbert you get fined if a car is parked on the side of the road more than two hours outside your own home. Makes it hard for nights like Christmas Eve when the entire family is over. That is a HOA rule.

Again, too much Stepford wives. Welcome to Stepford America. Where everyone has paved driveways, drives a tan altima, lives in a tan box,
and we all shop at wallmart.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by amatrine]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
well there is a solution, but it will require the cooperation of all Americans, no land taxes paid at end of year, no traffick tickets paid, no fines paid, and fill out the form for no withholding fed taxes from your paycheck, and refuse to file or pay taxes at end of year.

Come April next year, the Americans will have thier country back, and be in the position to dictate what the representitives will and will not do in the future. However this will require an old tradition where neighbors help neighbors until a time in which this country (USA) is back on track.
Or on the offhand side, the PTB will rush headlong into their full scale takeover of this country. This may be better than the way that the plans seem to be taking us now.

Americans need to step up as a whole, small groups and individuals very rarely get anything postive accomplished; but as a whole we would take this country back in just a few short weeks I believe.

I am having a Utopian dream I know.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If the people of Toledo, Ohio feel that this is a ridiculous unjust law then they should revolt and refuse the pay and fines. Then they should petition the city government to remove the law from the books. If they refuse to listen then the next election everyone gets voted out of office. Americans have forgotten that the government exists to serve the people not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A lovely little mantra for the self appointed authorities -
Everyone now with feeling...

CONTROL -
Line our pockets -
CONTROL -
line our pockets -
CONTROL
line our pockets -

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
That is quite messed up.

Still, I wonder how this man keeps getting re-elected as mayor?

[edit on 6/19/2009 by Jessicamsa]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join