It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Fines Parking in Own Driveways

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

City Fines Parking in Own Driveways

news.aol.com

Residents of Toledo, Ohio, are complaining that they received $25 tickets for parking their vehicles in their own driveways.
Mayor Carty Finkbeiner says he stands by the citations handed out last week by the Division of Streets, Bridges and Harbor. He says the tickets were issued under a city law against parking on unpaved surfaces, including gravel driveways.
During a news conference Monday, Finkbeiner ignored a reporter's question of whether the crackdown and fines were related to the city's budget crisis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
How are people truly free in this country? People cannot even park within their own driveways without being penalized.

Some towns will ticket you for having your engine running when you are not in your vehicle. People would start their car and have the heater going during the winter time while staying in the warmth of their home, or people would have the air conditioning going during the summer time if their vehicle is very hot inside.

[Note: The article headline is copy pasted from the article headline currently utilized for the article at this time. I am not changing the headline.]

How much longer will this government oppression of society continue? This event is a symptom of a much larger problem that is running amok in this country.

news.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Common sense has left the building.

I tell you that just about every government entity is looking for every single way to get another dime from hard working folks.

Sad part is that the people that work for the government are fellow Americans just like the rest of us, but can't seem to view things through the eyes of those who don't work for the government. Wouldn't hurt them to put themselves in somebody's else shoes from time to time and see what life is like from the other side.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
if i lived in that town, my lord...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ladymez

There was a post about this happening in DC as well!

I don't understand. Are they making it a law that you have to pave your driveway? I understand not parking in the grass, maybe. But if you have a gravel driveway, what are you supposed to do? What if you are a renter?

I suppose their budget crisis will look a lot worse when all the people move to a town with common sense!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i have got 7 tickets this YEAR for parking at my own house! LOL

7 x 25 = 175 $

I have paid 3 of them, but now i have decided.

i will not pay anymore EVER AGAIN!!!

it is discrimination too, because they are not doing this in the rich neighborhoods

and guess what, i dont even know if ill make rent next month, so the city gov can just arrest me i am NOT gonna pay anymore

stupid govt, i LIVE here!!!

[edit on 16-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Toledo resident here.

I also have a gravel driveway. So I guess I'll be getting a ticket soon.

This isn't the craziest thing our city has done. Google our beloved mayor and check out his other stunts. You won't believe it.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by ladymez

There was a post about this happening in DC as well!

I don't understand. Are they making it a law that you have to pave your driveway? I understand not parking in the grass, maybe. But if you have a gravel driveway, what are you supposed to do? What if you are a renter?

I suppose their budget crisis will look a lot worse when all the people move to a town with common sense!!!

They are wanting to cement over everything, while at the same time spew out the other side of their mouths about global warming and whatnot. This country needs more grass and less cement. This country needs less pavement and more nature.

I guess renters are going to receive lots of tickets in some towns.

There are a lot of abandoned homes for sale in these towns for as little as a few thousand dollars. This fact mixed with the government plan to use eminent domain to seize land is quite interesting. I see this as the start of a massive land grab. Once they make it so that you must have a paved driveway, the government can seize all the rural and Appalachian homes where the owners probably couldn't even afford to pave their driveways and force people to move into cities. The government plan to use eminent domain to bulldoze homes includes the idea of moving people into certain areas. This is all about controlling the population, but most people would just see it as a parking ticket and not look at the overall picture of what is going on elsewhere. They would see it as an unrelated issue. I think these issues will be woven together over time.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Toledo resident here.

I also have a gravel driveway. So I guess I'll be getting a ticket soon.

This isn't the craziest thing our city has done. Google our beloved mayor and check out his other stunts. You won't believe it.

Well hello there

I went to Toledo once for a live euchre tournament years ago. It was beautiful looking out the window of the hotel at all the lights at night. Of course, coming from a small mountain town it was just different culture for me.

I just thought of something else. Do you need a permit to pave your driveway? If so, the city will make even more money off the people who are now forced to pave their driveways when they go in for the permits. I know in some localities you need a permit for that.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I guess personal property ain't so personal anymore? There needs to be a pre-election screening to keep morons who endorse this kind of bull#### from even being able to run in the first place.

Perhaps concrete paver stones will be the fad for those who don't have the cash for blacktop or concrete, could be a good local investment if personal property rights lose this round.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Paving over driveways is not the best idea!

Seriously in certain areas of big cities (I'm talking about London here but it will apply all over) there were plenty of problems with people paving and tarmacking every square inch - the biggest problems were the commuter belts where people wanted at least 2 cars in failry small houses.

The problem really arose with rain fall - it's just runs straing off and into the drains - causing no end of floods blockages and the like... and then in less and less water actually gets into the ground, the water table is all unpredictable they call drought in the summer - even foundations and walls etc can be damaged... Good luck trying to get any money for that!

A gravel drive way should be a good thing.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Get a winch and hoist your car until it's vertical and hovering just inches above the "unpaved surface." Then when somebody comes to ticket you drop it on them.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
They do the same thing here in Northern California and yet we have PAVED driveway's. If you are parked in one place in YOUR driveway on YOUR property for more than 72 hours they will give you a ticket and a tow violation if you don't move it. A town north of us has strictly forbidden persons who own a motor home or trailer from parking them at any private property that is not a licensed storage yard. You get a HUGE ticket and a tow at that very time.( You then pay $1,500 dollars minimum to get it back. In either city/county)

[edit on 16-6-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ladymez

Government budgets 101: When you can't raise taxes and you're not fiscally responsible, start fining your citizens for petty things.

I grew up in a private suburb of San Antonio with its own police and fire department. The subdivision was popular because you could own a large home with sprawling land but not have to pay the city tax rates. Eventually they tried to raise taxes but the home owners, including my parents, met at the town hall to kill the idea.

So what did they do? Installed completely unnecessary stop signs throughout the subdivision to ticket anyone who went through them without coming to a complete stop. Then they lowered the speed limits to an obscene number and police parked in concealed locations. They started handing out tickets for going 27 in a 25. Petty stuff like that.

So that is exactly what this mayor is trying to do.

For some good news, here is the final part of the article:

City Councilman D. Michael Collins calls the ticketing "Mickey Mouse nonsense." He has told residents he'll try to have the citations rescinded.

At least someone has a brain and is trying to fight for the citizens.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I got a parking ticket because part of my bumper was sticking out on the sidewalk! I was pissed! I was in my own drive way and was up bumper to bumper to the car infront of me. I was maybe a few inches over in the sidewalk. I mean give me a break! It was 40 bucks too!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ladymez

A lot of good incite! I was ignoring the thread about Obama's comment of "shrink to survive" and how cities may have to bulldoze entire neighborhoods to survive, but now we have another piece to the puzzle. Fine or restrict people from their homes, then use eminant domain in order to protect the public from these 'abandoned' buildings!!!

Also, most places are going green now. I have seen a lot of driveways with "pavers" that allow grass to grow up through it. Even our mall here in Tallahassee has done some of the lot this way to control stormwater runoff, prevent heatsink effect, and provide a little prettier landscaping.

Would that suffice as "paved"??

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ladymez

obviously related to the budget crisis

a money grab plain and simple

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have recieved several thirty dollar tickets for parking in my driveway when I lived in Burbank, California. The thing was that the driveway was so short that it was inevitable that the trunk of the vehicle overhung into the sidewalk just a bit...but nothing that prevented pedestrian passage. As well, the tickets always showed up on alternating Sundays.

Annoying as hell and needless to say that those tickets remain unpaid...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Wow. They are doing this in Washington DC too, as mentioned in this thread

Driveways in D.C. Now a No-Parking Zone!

Guess nobody's driveway is private anymore!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
whoops, double post

[edit on 6/16/2009 by greeneyedleo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join