It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grand Ayatollah Montazeri Takes A Stand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Grand Ayatollah Montazeri Takes A Stand

andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com

1- A legitimate state must respect all points of view. It may not oppress all critical views. I fear that this lead to the lost of people’s faith in Islam.

2- Given the current circumstances, I expect the government to take all measures to restore people’s confidence. Otherwise, as I have already said, a government not respecting people’s vote has no religious or political legitimacy.

3- I invite everyone, specially the youth, to continue reclaiming their dues in calm, and not let those wh
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Wooo Hooo!
Great!

I'm glad to hear more things like this lately.
There's obviously a shift going on, either that or they are allowing a little more spotlight on what was already there.

I'm not sure.

I just thought I should post this as a good news kind of thing.

I'm sure Earth can use some right now!

andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I'm glad to hear more things like this lately. There's obviously a shift going on, either that or they are allowing a little more spotlight on what was already there. I'm not sure.

I don't want to temper your enthusiasm, but be aware that Montazeri is firmly aligned with the reformists in Iran, and is out of favor with the ruling elite of Iran.

For almost three decades, Hossein Ali Montazeri has been one of the main critics of Islamic Republic's domestic and foreign policy. He has also been an active advocate of civil rights and women's rights in Iran. He is a prolific writer and has authored a number of books and articles

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Still, one of 29 living Grand Ayatollahs, it's a start. He is the black sheep of the GA family, that's for sure.

top topics

join