It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Call To Prayer In Your Hometown

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Why don't one of these religions embrace change and send text messages direct to their congregation rather than annoying everyone else with it?

Move with the times!

Whats the difference between church bells and muslim call to prayer?
Church bells have been around in the Western world for centuries. Don't like them, then you make sure you don't live near a church that uses them
Someone shouting down a megaphone in Arabic is just too much for me to take at either 6am or 10pm.
I personally have never heard church bells at 6am or 10pm, and if either religion decided on instigating them near me, they would have to argue their case with "Part III of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (EPA)"
(UK Only, although I'm sure other countries will have similar laws in effect)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

Spines,

I think you’re unfairly lumping all arguments against this into one, easy to despise block. This isn’t about ignorance of Islam, or fear or bigotry; it maybe for some but not for all, certainly not for me. I like other cultures and I have a soft spot for Islamic architecture but I wouldn’t want a massive mosque built across from me because it just wouldn’t fit with its surroundings; conversely my brother lives right near a mosque in a major city and it looks very impressive. Please don’t paint this as a black and white, tolerant vs bigot issue because it’s not.

Now you say you think people should be happy that other traditions are close by; but what happens those traditions begin to affect your own and the manner in which you live your life? Does openness to other traditions, cultures, beliefs etc trump the preservation of your own?

As in illustrative point, let’s say there’s some idyllic little village somewhere, very traditional, very close knit and the villagers are very happy with what they’ve got. Now along comes some random millionaire who likes the look of the village but none of the cosy little houses suits his needs so he decides to build a huge three story, modern, glass fronted mansion. By law, (I’m going by UK law here but I think it’s the same in the US) the local villagers have every right to say that this building will change the character of the village or their community and thus stop the mansion from being built. I don’t think you’d get many people sincerely disagreeing with this right; where I live it’s routine for people to object to new flats or anything that make unwanted noise. However when we swap the look of the house for the sound of a loudspeaker and change the rich individual into a religious collective it somehow becomes ignorant to decide you don’t want it. Why?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I know it was not directed at me, but a quick answer that I can see:
The millionaire is one man, the religious collective is a group within the community. I have not actually seen what percentage of the community are Muslim, I might have missed it in the article, but I don't think it was mentioned. If there is a considerable Muslim community, then I don't see it as being such a big deal.

I think one of the big problems we have here is people being indignant on behalf of the community residents. It would be nice to see how people living in this town actually feel. If they don't care why should we?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Where may I ask is that happening here in the United States? Yes, yes, it's happened, and is happening, elsewhere in the world. That's most unfortunate. That's why we have a system of protections built in to our nations laws that separate religion from law. That will make it unlikely, if not impossible, that it'll happen here.

If they succeed in doing something like this here, I venture to guess we'll have bigger fish to fry than some silly neighborhood prayer call.

I have a bit more faith (an irresistible pun, sorry) in the fundamental underpinnings of America.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I know its not happening now. I fear that if we give an inch they will take a mile. It will just get worse until we are fully assimilated.

Cultural assimilation is a process of socialization. It can be a voluntary process, but can also sometimes be the result of involuntary political decisions.

en.wikipedia.org...

Can you see where I'm going with that?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The vast majority of Muslims are decent people who want to be left alone to live their lives as they see fit just like you and me... your bias against them is just plain ugly.

I am far less concerned about a mosque wanting to broadcast the call to prayer in its neighborhood than I am about so-called Christian funnymentalists trying to force their worldview down everyone else throat... ya give em an inch and they will take a mile...

get where I am going with this?

Religious freedom means religious freedom of expression for all... not just those you approve of.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

You will not be happy until you are forced to bow your knee to Allah or die. That is what their religion teaches. Look it up and you will know too. I would not force my beliefs down someones throat. I am told to shake the dust off my feet and continue on if someone does not want to believe that Jesus is the way to salvation. Muslims have been taught differently. It is only a matter of time.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Let’s see here…

A Muslim Call to Prayer broadcasted for about 6-9 minutes a day

Here is what I have seen posted thus far

Some think it is infringing on their rights. How?

How is listening to a Muslim Prayer stopping you from praying to God? God says to have no others before him. Are you that easily swayed that simply hearing this prayer is going to stop you from praying to God? If it does sway you then that is a heck of a shaky faith you have. There is no physical way this prayer is stopping you from praying.

Now let’s talk infringement. The government of a state says it is ok to marry a gay person or to have an abortion. Suddenly hundreds or thousands of Christians and religious right show up to protest and form a wall. They call homosexuals sinners and other bad names and we are worried about a prayer on a loud speaker?

Now as far as annoyance goes I say no-brainer. A loud speaker of a voice to me is far easier to ignore than that blasted bell that they play while I am trying to sleep in on Sunday.

'It is not my God. My God is Jesus Christ. I don't want this noise invading my home at 10 p.m.,'

Well guess what pal, I don’t want your bell and lawn prayer services invading my home at 7am on Sunday…intolerant much?

Jackflap said hearing a bell and listening to a person rant is different. Well it is always going to sound worse when you state it how you want. Let me restate it and see how it sounds from here.

“Listening to some voices which you can drown out or listening to some really loud bell is a different story.

KS says that it is telling him his God isn’t worthy. Are you serious? People ramble all day about hatred and loathing for every religion, creed, sexuality and race and people don’t hold their ears. Why you can’t just shake your head and move on is beyond me. The thing is when those church bells go off, it annoys people and they feel invaded too. Should we stop them all?

Jack then said that he wouldn’t have an issue if these same folks weren’t asked to kill anyone who doesn’t believe their way. Is this the same anger that murdered an abortion doctor because he wasn’t doing things their way? What about the myriad wars caused by Christians to annihilate and destroy Pagans and Jews and others they deem heretics?

See here is the thing…some of you complain that you can’t have prayer in school, ceremony or commencement. Well the thing is that is like the school advocating one God even though there can be students who are Wiccan, Muslim, Bhuddist…whatever! Then you say, ‘well if we can’t do that then why can they broadcast this Call to Prayer?’

Here is an idea…

Get over it, get up and grab a speaker and start saying the Lord’s Prayer over the speaker. Who is stopping you? I could care less about the one you call God but frankly it isn’t my business to tell you ‘no.’ You aren’t on my property shouting it right in the window so what do I care? You spouting the Lord’s Prayer is not going to stop me from praying to Isis and it isn’t going to shake or infringe upon my faith in her so my best bet is to shrug and say “C’est la vie”

I think…and let’s make sure I say this loud enough…((THIS IS JUST MY OPINION UNSUPPORTED BY FACT!)) that a lot of this is based on intolerance

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

This is fine by me as long as there's someone on another speaker saying god is imaginary, Alex jones is pretty handy with a horn perhaps he could do it.

The last thing I want to hear throughout the day is bloody mullah music echoing about the place. It's bad enough having to endure tossers with boom boxes as they drive by the house, or church bells ckanging like hell.

Can't see why xtians would complain though, I'm very suprised the can hear anything with all the voices in their heads.

PEOPLE keep your freeking noise to yourselves !! I don't want to hear it especially not in my home.

By the way, anyone know whether muslims have thier own version of rapture/armageddon ? Or are we stuck with that deluded lot while we sigh in relief at the xtians being whisked away into the fluffy clouds in the sky?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
see moocow that there doesn't bother me...what you said may not be agreeable but it is fair

Muslims want to play their prayer then Christians can too

if you don't like it then let NOBODY broadcast it

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I repeat your bias against them is just plain ugly...

yet I am sure that if one of "them" posted such hate filled comments about you and your religion you would be screaming bloody murder.

There is no "them" there is only us.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Listen up please

This subject can, and has been in the most part, discussed with civility.

However, I draw you attention to The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

There is no need, whatsoever, to make crassly insulting comments about peoples religion, or race. If you cannot contibute to this thread without behaving in a civilised manner and not resorting to taunts and pointless generalisations, then simply don't post in it.

Thanks for your time.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
yes! I love it! more religious fighting, more strife! and at the end of the day, WE have the bombs, and bacteria to wipe you all out. the streets will smell of rotting flesh while WE drink acai juice in SA

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I think it was your crybaby foreign ancestors that ran away from their own oppression and took away freedom of religion from the people that originally owned this land (my people), before it was taken away from them because the natives were considered to be too barbaric and stupid. . .

But I guess that part of history doesnt matter when you have lofty white-christian ideals.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Ok mike_a
So the 3rd reason for ringing churchbells is to mark holidays. Watch and Calendar. It is another time scale but it is still telling time. Also where i am from churches do *not* ring their bells for purely secular holidays.

The "cultural accepted" argument boils down to "I am used to it" no matter if you like it or not.
Get's even emptier if one considers other things that have been or are "culturally accepted" or not at one time or other.
Women wearing trousers
having different parkbenches for blacks and whites
wearing a star on your coat

Also you do realize that churches use bells and not for instance acoustic guitars because they are terribly friggin loud? Blending in is *not* the point of a church bell.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You fear. That's the problem right there. You're scared of what you don't neccessarily understand as well as you think.

I know several muslims, both lifelong and converted recently, and they would no more force you to convert than I would... I know there are those in Islamic circles who would convert by the sword, if you will, just as there are those in other faiths who would do the same. They are, however, most assuredly in the minority. Especially amongst American Muslims...you won't hear about the kind and gentle Muslims who just want to be left alone to worship as they choose, you hear only about the ones who loudly proclaim their antipathy towards all things non-Islamic...

People quote chapter and verse to prove their points on both sides of this stupidity...yet precious few of them practise these verses or chapters. Nor should they. They aren't the word of God/Allah, they are Mans interpretation of Gods will. I submit that man is unable to interpret, correctly, God's will. The various schisms in world religions would seem to bear that out...

Fear. Fear of the "other". That's the enemy here, not Islam, not Christianity, not religion in general. It's the fear of the "other" who lives differently, worships differently that's the enemy.

Bells? Prayer call?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Maybe we need to hear from those moderate Muslims then. I really don't want to sound as though I'm spewing hatred. I am not. I just know what the end game of this religion is. Maybe I heard wrong and I should just live and let live but I still do fear. I know it may be irrational but just watch the news sometimes and you will see all the death to America signs and flag burning. What happened when someone made a cartoon of Muhammad? All hell broke loose. Would those moderate Muslims come to the forefront and try to tell their people that they were acting like extremists? Not that I saw. These very same people now want to bring their ideology and religion here and broadcast prayer songs over loud speakers and be protected by the same laws that they say they hate. I just feel like I had to bring this to peoples attention because I have a feeling we will be remembering these discussions when it is too late. I do not hate anyone or anyone's religion. I am just wary and yes afraid. Are there any Muslims who can allay my concerns and tell me that their religion does not teach what I have heard? I doubt we'll hear from those moderates.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Islam has many good points, as does Christianity and Buddhism. However, to be fair, the message should not be preaching but sounds like bells. The call to prayer is not only preaching, it is denouncing the other "gods" of the community. I do not believe that Americans will sit idly by to let inflammatory remarks be broadcast in their hearing repeatedly every day, particularly if the sound is made in a language they understand, or if they are aware of the translation of the call to prayer. In my neighborhood, they don't have bells from Christian churches, and they won't allow a minaret with a loudspeaker, I guarantee you.

The constant repetition of a belief, whether it is true or a lie, will become a belief for others. Like Hitler said, something like, tell a big enough lie enough times and people will believe it is the truth.

Why do you think they do it? They have a watch on their wrist today. It's not 1500. It's 2009. There is no need for a call to prayer that ridicules the Christian God. Do like the Christians, go to church by looking at your watch. When you are inside the compound, sing what you like.

And I'm really tired of people using the argument about fear. It's the same argument used by the homosexual movement. If you don't like it, you must be homophobic. Get real. If I don't like it, it's not because I am afraid of it. I don't like eggplant, either. Last time I checked, I wasn't scared of eggplant. Next, they'll say we're Islamophobic. I say, let's have some rational discussion, not stupid comments like "fear" of Islam. Unless they're converting people with scimitars again, I don't think so...

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Jim Scott]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

the moderates are out there. They've always been out there, they don't make good "copy". You know the old saying "Dog bites man isn't news", but "Man bites dog" now that's news. That is exactly what is happening with this story, my freind. Never forget that the media is a business, and is in the business to make money, and "foaming at the mouth" fanatics make good press and sell advertising...the "leave us alone" moderates don't. It really is that simple.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I second Seagull's comments:

In regards to hearing from moderates... you are beginning to more and more...

Most Muslims are as sick of their extremists as I would hope Christians or Jews are sick of their extremists.

I do recall though right after 9/11 bill Maher had a Pakistani musician on his show Politically Incorrect and the musician said the same thing... that moderates objected to the high jacking of their religion by extremists... to which Bill Maher said then why don't we hear of the moderates taking to the streets protesting then...

To which the Pakistani musician replied... When have you ever heard of a moderate taking to the street over anything?

And that is the gist of your fear... we always hear about the loud mouths, the jackasses and the extremists while the rest of us go about our lives in a quiet and decent manner.

AND though it will probably fall on multiple deaf ears... Islam was not spread by the sword. They did not offer people the choice of converting or dying... that is a nasty lie... by all accounts they swept in and took over where the empires around them were crumbling and indeed for the first fifty years or so Islam was for the Arabs... conversion was discouraged because the people of other religions paid a tax... and that was it... they were left alone to live their lives... that is why among other things why Moorish Spain was the light of Europe when the lights had gone out everywhere else.

Only someone unsure and insecure in their own faith will try and force it on another and that is true regardless of religion.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join