It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Call To Prayer In Your Hometown

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
as long as the bullhorning is privately ran, i see no problem as long as it does not disturb residential areas

in the public we are allowed to bull horn if we choose, example : alex jones

some places may require permits, but with some cash that is usually very easy to get your hands on (you do need $)

i could care less if they bull horn spaghetti monster dogma lol

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I didnt see where it said how often they would be using the loud speaker,
once a week, what the heck, no big deal, every day at those times, it would get old fast and drive you nuts.
Maby we should get achmed to help out.....

Honestly i see nothing wrong with a lot of things in moderation, everyone can handle a little toleration, its when its over done and shoved down your throat that it realy becomes a problem.

But i have to agree with the above poster, no praying in school, no use of the word 'god' in graduations, seperation of church and state (boy is that statment a total joke... but thats a whole nother thread).

Where are the limits, where is the balance... if right for one then why not the other.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
When I stayed in Istanbul for several months, the call to prayers was new for me.

There they have them five times a day, and it's not always at the same times each day -- the times are based on the moon or the planets or something. All the mosques know the times for a given day, but they each go by their own local clocks which are always a few seconds off fom each other. So, there's this time-lag going on, and then the echos start reverberating far and wide, and the energy is undeniable ...

Most people just stop whatever they're doing and listen or pray along or whatever -- quite strange to see for me, a lifelong American.

Exactly the same situation regarding the time-lags and echoes as one has in a European city, say like Amsterdam, and their church bells ...

Very different 'energy' though, and to be honest I'm not sure which I like best ...

At the very least, concerning the call to prayers, for a minute or so, several times a day, everybody in that town of 10-million people gets somewhere very near on the 'same wavelength' ...

Imagine that !

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

The point is, if we cant let our own christians or other religions do things like this, why are we making allowances for another? Doesnt anyone see that side of this?

We put limitations on all sorts of religions on what they can and cant do here, but we can allow muslims to blast it out into the open?

I can guarantee you, that if someone was blasting a Catholic prayer once a week over a loud speaker somewhere in the US , special interest groups and atheist would be raising hell.........but because its Muslim, and because we for some reason have to sympathize because of the current world situation its ok.

I call bs on the whole thing.......

Mind you I dont care what religion you are and i have absolutely NOTHING against the muslim faith, i think all religions have something to teach us, i DONT however think its acceptable to make allowances for one while suppressing another.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Call to prayer...

Church bells...

Both appeal to me. I've heard both, and neither bother me in the least. If a minister got on a bullhorn on Sunday morning and recited the Lords Prayer to attract worshipers, I wouldn't care...

They don't come pounding on my door to proselytize/witness.

Neither forces me to worship their God. When they try to force me to with the "sword", then I'll have an issue, not until.

American's are proud of our "live and let live" attitude towards other belief systems...it saddens me to see that maybe, just maybe, it's not quite as widespread as I thought.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

The point is, if we cant let our own christians or other religions do things like this, why are we making allowances for another? Doesnt anyone see that side of this?

we do let them as long as they acquire the necessary permits and stuff

how else would Alex Jones get away with what he does? Im being serious here.

honestly, as long as they follow the rules, this is why freedom and tolerance are great

i am not religious, but i have Never been offended by a church bell

i love freedom

also keep in mind - there is a fine line between legitimate public bull horning and disturbing the peace in a residential area

this is a very important distinction and all peoples must adhere to it, for the sake of decency and civility

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

They don't come pounding on my door to proselytize/witness.

awesome post seagull, but i wanna debate this sentence for fun

Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons are well known for going door to door witnessing.

However, its totally legal and accepted in our society. These door to door witnesses are quite respectful and tolerant,and if you ask them to leave, they will quickly get off your property. True facts.

They are good people, and their door to door tactics never bothered me as i love to argue with them

Tolerance and Freedom are what makes our nation so great

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

sorry i just dont agree, maybe its just me but i see huge hypocrisy in this.
You may say its fine with you, and it might be, but you arent the problem.

The problem is that if it WAS a christian minister belting it out over a loud speaker system in towns , there would be an outcry.

One only has to look back at how special interest groups have tried to take religion out of everything.

You have to look at the bigger picture here, yeah on the small scale everyone finds it ok.....but the whole picture is much more hypocritical.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

We put limitations on all sorts of religions on what they can and cant do here, but we can allow muslims to blast it out into the open?

I can guarantee you, that if someone was blasting a Catholic prayer once a week over a loud speaker somewhere in the US , special interest groups and atheist would be raising hell.........but because its Muslim, and because we for some reason have to sympathize because of the current world situation its ok.

I call bs on the whole thing.......

Mind you I dont care what religion you are and i have absolutely NOTHING against the muslim faith, i think all religions have something to teach us, i DONT however think its acceptable to make allowances for one while suppressing another.

See but what you are missing is NO ONE should say anything about any religion. We are no longer aloud to mention god or jesus in certain areas or at certain times, but whos fault is that?? Its ours because something like that should have NEVER been aloud to happen in the first place

They put limitations on us and we let it happen. We should have fought for it because we have freedom of religion, but we let that go right out the window when we accepted the limitations. Now the Muslims are trying to express their freedom of religion and we are shaking our fingers at them saying its not fair and they should not be able to do it
How does that make us any better then them?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DezertSkies

Yeah, I'm sorry, Mr. Quick to condemn my beliefs. Don't tell me who I should give praise to. How arrogant. I don't call my God Allah, jehosephat, simon or pickle monster. Don't tell me who I should sing praises to.

If you have that attitude, take your call to prayer out in the desert with you where the rest of us don't have to listen to it. I am perfectly FINE with you praying to whomever you choose, provided you don't force it on me. Then we have an issue.

It may very well be one god, and I have argued for that numerous times, but don't EVER think you have the right to tell me what I should call him, or how I should worship him.

If I have to listen to some RUBBISH telling me four or five times a day that there is nothing worthy of worship but ALLAH, I will barf and probably get a little anti social.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

No i absolutely agree that we shouldnt put limitations on ANY religion, but there ARE!

I think your missing my point tho, there ARE limitations on some religions due to special interest groups and all the other bs.

So why is THIS one group getting the special treatment........feel me?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Nah I get what you are saying. I just feel like we have totally lost focus of what America was suppose to be. And the more that gets taken away from us, the more we go after each other..

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
How fast would I end up on an Islamic Jihadist website, getting my head cut off, if I opened a church in say Saudi Arabia and demanded that I ring my church bells for all to hear? Shall we take a guess?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

I agree, its sickening what this nation has become.......correction, what we have allowed it to become.

There should be no restrictions as far as peoples view goes, a long as it harms no one else, i think you should be free to do as you chose.

I realize we have to have regulations and laws, but when we do those should apply across the board.

Im with you on your posts tho, dont mistake that

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

...and?

We are not Saudi Arabia. Supposedly we're a bit more, shall we say, tolerant?

Religious freedom is the bedrock upon which our nation was founded.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Yeah, I'm sorry, Mr. Quick to condemn my beliefs. Don't tell me who I should give praise to. How arrogant. I don't call my God Allah, jehosephat, simon or pickle monster. Don't tell me who I should sing praises to.

If you have that attitude, take your call to prayer out in the desert with you where the rest of us don't have to listen to it. I am perfectly FINE with you praying to whomever you choose, provided you don't force it on me. Then we have an issue.

It may very well be one god, and I have argued for that numerous times, but don't EVER think you have the right to tell me what I should call him, or how I should worship him.

If I have to listen to some RUBBISH telling me four or five times a day that there is nothing worthy of worship but ALLAH, I will barf and probably get a little anti social.

You're a laugh riot. You call someone else quick to condemn, yet you shoot off your mouth, spewing your own special brand of bigotry and inorance. The reason you don't call YOUR god Allah, is because YOU don't speak Arabic. If you did, even as a Christain, you would call him Allah.

It is your right to call it rubbish, but personally I hate having to listen to YOUR Christmas music. It is stupid and pointless. I hate hearing it in stores, I hate hearing it on the radio, I hate hearing it on commercials. YOUR music, celebrating YOUR religious beliefs, should be completely banned from being played in public.

See what I did there, I acted like you and got all holier than thou. It goes both ways.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This is both ridiculous and disgusting. And that goes for Christian church bells as well. They are both methods of calling the sheep in to be shorn and butchered. Church bells do not belong in modern society and some tone deaf sheep singing a redundant meaningless song is as well.

When will people wake up from this religious nightmare. Nearly 1 billion people are reported to have no religious faith, thats quite a voice, but sure enough these absurd religions like Christianity, Judaism, and Islam still have all the rights.

It is not right that they get to spread their religions, while telling us who do not believe in fairy tales that we need to accept it and keep quiet.
When will people realize that religion and dogma is the human downfall.

Freedom of religion was meant to be practiced privately. And by this obvious public invasion, it is like having Jehovas Witness or Mormon Missionaries to have the right to walk right into your house and spread their garbage uninvited. And there is nothing you could do about it.

Bring the heat, because I have my flam retardant suit on!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think the saddest thing about this thread is that people don't understand that current America is not a nation of any one religion. Christianity and Islam are religions in our country that all kinds of people take part in. This is not a Christian nation, so there's no need to favor Christianity over Islam, unless you are doing what many Muslims do to Christians in other countries, how very "godly" of you. Also, people clearly do not understand the word "Allah" which is puzzling and depressing. It's just the Arabic word for God.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
well you know what you can do with your religion. but i'll tell you i'd rather hear this than 50cent pumping loudly up and down the street 1,000 times out of a 1,000.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

How fast would I end up on an Islamic Jihadist website, getting my head cut off, if I opened a church in say Saudi Arabia and demanded that I ring my church bells for all to hear? Shall we take a guess?

So are you stating that you would like to have religious freedom laws just like that have in Saudi Arabia? My, my holding ourselves up to a high standard there aren't we? Aspiring to be like Saudi Arabia when it come to religious tolerance. Nice. Just because they do it, why would it make it right if we did the same?

I don't get the big deal, I thought we were a country that was tolerant of other religions. I guess I was wrong. Hamtramck, a town I am quite familiar with, now has a sizable Muslim community, why would you deny them the right to worship as they see fit? Maybe we shouldn't allow them to wear their native style of dress too?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join