It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Call To Prayer In Your Hometown

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

And quite frankly I respect that as well were it real

If Satanism is your way then I would gladly accept your music...thing is I would rather nobody doit

no bells...no chants...may not be nice but it is fair and impartial

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I hear you KyoZero. I know the intolerance shown among religions is sickening. I finally grasped the whole thing after reading through the posts on the subject. I do know that these differences people have will culminate in something awful. I mean is that what it is going to take for us to see what we are doing to each other? I have to admit, when I first heard about the whole call to prayer thing I immediately went on the offensive. I had to post it and start rallying people to see what the Muslims were doing. The more I read the more I realized that these things are going kill us all. How do you allow religious freedom if people do not respect others religious freedom? Which is what is happening. The Muslims want to broadcast prayers, the Christians want to ring bells. What do we do? Regardless of noise ordinances and stuff along these lines it is coming. They broadcast prayers in Michigan and California now. I am telling you I believe we are all being set up for a huge confrontation at our own doing because we have all been fed a bunch of crap for way too long. It is right in front of our eyes.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

During the Friday prayer (Salat Al Jumu'ah), there are two adhans; the first is to call the people to the mosque, the second is said before the Imam begins the khutbah (sermon). Just before the prayers start, someone amongst the praying people recites the iqama as in all prayers. The basis for this is that at the time of the Caliph Umar he ordered 2 adhans to be made, the first of which was to be made in the marketplace to inform the people that the Friday prayer was soon to begin, and the second adhan would be the regular one held in the mosque. Not all Sunnis prefer two adhans as the need for warning the people of the impending time for prayer is no longer essential now that the times for prayers are well known.

Wikipedia Link

Azaan/Adhan is the muslim call for prayer used 5 times a day for informing people that it's time for prayer.

It was used in the old days to let people know that it was time for prayer. Back then, they didn't have loudspeakers, TVs, watches, radios. The only way people could know about the prayer was when the Muazzin stood on the minaret and recited those words in a son tune.

The tradition is still used today even though no one really needs to know the time. People either have watches, radio, tv, internet, cellphones, etc. that tell them time of prayer. In this modern age, Azaan is not required but people still do it because it's tradition.

While I agree that people should have their rights to follow their tradition, religion, culture, etc. I do not agree with the mosque here.

The right course of action would be to find out in what radius can the azaan be heard? Then everyone who lives in that radius should be asked if they are ok with it. If even 1 person is not ok with the azaan being recited on the loudspeaker, then they should not do it. It's not about muslim country or christian neighborhood. Its about people respecting other people's opinion especially when that other person pays to live in that area.

I do not see why they need to recite it on the loudspeaker. I have seen many mosques who turn off their loudspeakers and recite the azaan so it can be heard in the mosque only.

I am muslim btw.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If bell ringing is acceptable there, then let them get their own bell.

I guarantee you - you'll never, ever, hear that crap down south where I live.

Never.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by alien]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

The more I read the more I realized that these things are going kill us all. How do you allow religious freedom if people do not respect others religious freedom? Which is what is happening. The Muslims want to broadcast prayers, the Christians want to ring bells.

There is no equivalency between call to prayer and ringing of bells. I have over a years experience listening to call to prayer in an African country. It's nothing like bells, bells are pretty and can be ignored. The Imam's rant is an irritation. Nothing nice about it. He's telling you to prey to Allah or else, ie. you're going to Hell or whatever. Not a nice thought.

Islam is a comparatively primative religion (it emphasizes the saving of the sole above all else. Koran is the only book necessary, technology is not important, etc.). The call to prayer is also outdated. Who needs to be reminded to go pray? Your cell phone can do that! Why irritate the general population unnecessarily?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
There are plenty of Christian churches in Muslim countries and they ring their bells. No one has a problem with it.

Very true. On my last trip to Jakarta I sat one evening on a balcony with a friend listening to a very loud and boisterous church service in a building several doors down the street as the sound of dozens of "Azans" filled the air coming in from many different directions. The problem isn't churches in Islamoworld or mosques in Hooterville. It's white racist christians who have deluded themselves into believing their rights are superior to anyone who dares to be different.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Lilitu]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I've been living in an area where a Muslim mosque is about one block away from where I live. I cannot tell you how many times I have been awoken at 4:30 in the morning (that's right, 4:30 AM), because of the mosque's boisterous calls. Honestly, sometimes I cannot even think when they go off.

I don't care if you're religious or not--these constant "prayer calls" throughout the day are a constant nuisance, mostly because they're done through a loudspeaker, run anywhere from 5-8 times daily AND because they go on for anywhere from 3-5 minutes, if you're lucky. From my experience with this mosque, the times they broadcast aren't exact (they can be off from anywhere from 10-30 minutes) and the frequency per day is variable. I tried coming up with a schedule one day for when the calls were broadcast during the week, but they're never exact. (I really don't know why that is, but that's what I've observed). Forget Muslim holidays though... at those times these mosques will broadcast their calls for anywhere from 15-30 minutes at a time.

For people doing their work, trying to study, or trying to FOCUS on anything at all, these calls are a disruption to anything within its sound range. Some of my neighbors, who aren't Muslim, constantly complain about how these calls are affecting their lives, waking up their children at insane times of the morning and they tell me they are just as bothered. They wonder how they got the permission to do so in the first place.

This has nothing to do with religion. This deals with bothering the general public surrounding the mosque. These calls are pretty loud and can span a huge radius and are a great disruption to many people. This is why noise ordinances are put in place. This is exactly the same if someone blasted their music on some high-end speakers at various times of the day without warning.

It doesn't matter if you're Muslim, Atheist, Christian, whatever... Can you honestly tell me that you would be able to sustain listening to these constant "prayer calls" over a long period of time, many times throughout the day, WITHOUT thinking it was somewhat bothersome?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Can't wait for the Christian protestors to gather and drown out the Satanic Muslim call to prayer, with a good old fashioned mass rendition of the Lord's Prayer. It will happen.

Wow this is a DISGUSTING post. Some of you people on this site are so bigoted and VILE and disgusting. I noticed its mostly you religious people too, you guys are some of the most angry and hateful people I have ever seen.

Let them have their prayers, sure its annoying, but so are the damn church bells, I've heard church bells all my life and I CANNOT STAND THEM! So I can't see this being any more anoying than that

Satanic muslim call to prayer, lmao I laugh at you. I bet you talk with a ugly thick southern accent (not calling all southern accents bad, just the ugly ones) and hate all people who are different than you (no offense to NON REDNECK southerners)

[edit on 5-7-2009 by InfectedWithDevils]

[edit on 5-7-2009 by InfectedWithDevils]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I get woken up every Sunday morning by the Church bells ringing in my ears. I just lie there wondering why they bother. Its not like people dont know where the church is. Some of us who dont believe in religion would like a lie in on a sunday.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Try being joulted 5X a day beginning at 4:30 by an irritating scratchy, disgusting rendition of some poorly vocally endouded Imam booming in your ear! You will begin to appreciate church bells a lot more!

I did the "call to prayer" for a year. I'll take bells anytime!

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join