It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 'Stab-Proof' Knife to Go on Sale in the U.K.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
I was moving into a new flat a few months back and so went to the local appliance shop for some basic kitchen appliances.

I bought a a dinner set that included some rather cheap and harmless dinner knives.

Now im 20 years old and wouldnt say i look any younger at all, (afterall i get served for alcohol no problem), but couldnt believe it when the dowdy looking checkout woman asked me for ID.

ID to buy some crappy knives and forks that could barely cut through butter!

Yeah sometimes it feels like a joke.

I'm 23 and when I was 22 and had to buy fireworks, the woman gave me a disgusted look and said "how old are you?" I said 22, she had that look like "whatever.." I show her my id, and she looks at it, and says your not old enough....
She was so convinced with her assumptions that she suddenly forgot how to read! lmao, I had to show her and point out my date of birth to convince her of my age and buy those damn fireworks.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

You should have made her get the manager, and then told the manager she called you retarded. Stupid people shouldn't have jobs that require reading or counting.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The most effective way to kill someone in the UK is to force them into the UK's health care system. After a day or two in a UK public hospital, they'll likely contract a MSRA infection and die a horrible, agonizing death.

Much more satisfying than stabbing someone repeatedly with a blunt butter knife.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar It won't be long before the UK has an rock roundup and tree- clearing.

Actually, here in the UK, we don't have rocks - we have stones.

Neither do we have elevators or sidewalks - we have lifts and pavements.

Another thing we don't have, is a World Murder Capital. That 'honour' according to FBI declassified files, goes to New Orleans, St. Louis and Baltimore.

For further reading, see - baltimore.about.com/b/2009/06/04/murder-capital-usa.htm

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by riff_raff The most effective way to kill someone in the UK is to force them into the UK's health care system. After a day or two in a UK public hospital, they'll likely contract a MSRA infection and die a horrible, agonizing death. /quote]

Actually, I couldn't disagree more. On 17th July 2007, I suffered a heart attack. It started about 0700 hours and at 1130 hours, I was taken to the new A & E Wing at Gloucester Royal Hospital.

I went through the A & E system and was admitted to the Chest Pain Assessment Unit and stayed there four days.

The treatment I received was second to none and the staff were superb.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Oh well. Back to my gun.

Or machete.

Or cinder block.

Or axe.

Or bat.

Or garrote.

Or shovel.

Or lawnmower blade.

Or swing blade.

This is really going to be inconvenient . . .

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

And if that doesn't work we still have good old stones. It's the classic way of killing somebody.

Well I guess they are probably going to ban stones soon enough. Oh well.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It is far from a stab-proof knife. Given sufficient force, a blunt object will penetrate flesh, especially one with a running sharp edge. I think it's absolutely rediculous.

Reminds me of when the blunt-tip dive knives came out. I mean, what a worthless object. It was billed as a knife that would inhibit a diver's ability to inflict damage on marine life. ???? What does a person carry a dive knife for? Not saying one SHOULD inflict damage on marine life, and of course, a good use of a knife underwater might be to cut oneself loose from an entanglement, but it implied that a diver couldn't inflict damage with it.

Just silly. If people want to injure another creature with a knife, they will, regardless of whether the tip is blunt, rounded, pointed or whether the edge is fine, serrated or even dull.

What next? smokeless nukes?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

What next? smokeless nukes?

Nah the goverment are allowed to have knifes, nukes you name it, it's we the public who are not allowed any weapon.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
How can this knife be inefficient? You can still stab some one with the knife, the amount of force generated when thrusting this knife even with the rounded tip will still penetrate the skin, especially on the weaker areas such as neck and ribb cage, plus you can still slash the person with the sharp edge.

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The British seem to have laid the Golden Egg of Mendacity here.

Their next project: the bulletproof gun.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Posters here seem to have seriously missed the point. (Unlike the stab-proof knife, which deliberately omits the point).

Rather than looking for cases where it won't work, ask yourself if there are cases where this type of knife might provide a safety advantage.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wembley

Missed the point? Okay, I understand what you're saying.

Bottom line for me: If a street thug is brandishing one of these knives in order to rob someone, will it make even the smallest difference to the victim if the tip is rounded?

Who is the intended market demographic for this knife? People who chronically get in knife fights? Training knives for children? People who accidentally poke themselves?

Are the law-abiding citizens of England allowed to carry a folding knife concealed? Are they allowed to carry a fixed-blade knife in a sheath? Will the criminal mind comply, or just keep the knives they have?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
This is ridiculous, ... as its only used in kitchens, .... who goes out robbing people with kitchen knives ?? ..... It's actually a bad thing when u think about it .... cause the only reason u would use a kitchen knife to stab somebody is if they broke in.

.... I'll be waiting for the days when gangs pull out " switchblade-combs".

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
This is ridiculous, ... as its only used in kitchens, .... who goes out robbing people with kitchen knives ?? ..... It's actually a bad thing when u think about it .... cause the only reason u would use a kitchen knife to stab somebody is if they broke in.

.... I'll be waiting for the days when gangs pull out " switchblade-combs".

I always wanted one of those switchblade combs. If you sharpen the comb teeth enough you could cut somebody and possibly start a serious infection that may or may not eventually kill them. Plus, you look damn cool when you flip it out.

Anyway, maybe this new knife will find its way to the knife block in a local prison kitchen so the kitchen staff can defend themselves against shanks made from sharpened tooth brush handles.

The crooks will never part with their sharp and illegal knives. When will the government ever get the picture.

Give me an 8" mill file and a grinder and I'll give you sharp blade in about 30 minutes.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst This is ridiculous, ... as its only used in kitchens, .... who goes out robbing people with kitchen knives?

Errrrr, lots of people. They are readily available at home, they come in various shapes, sizes, weights and can have straight or serrated single or double blades.

Other weapons of use from the home kitchen can be Chinese axes or any chopping blades. Again they come in a variety of shapes, sizes and weights.

Any kitchen knife or chopper/axe can be used as a concealed weapon and, as I said, are readily available to people who are not of legal age to purchase them.

Go think it through!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley
Posters here seem to have seriously missed the point. (Unlike the stab-proof knife, which deliberately omits the point).

Rather than looking for cases where it won't work, ask yourself if there are cases where this type of knife might provide a safety advantage.

you give me a knife with a rounded point, i will still stick it through the skin and into the body. I am strong enough that i cannot imagine any knife like device that could keep me from inflicting severe damage to someone just by using a stabbing motion.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the U.K. to outlaw fist-making. Then again, an open hand is dangerous too. Palm heal strikes are dangerous... heck, you can poke somebody in a pressure point with one finger and they might fall down and hit their head.

The U.K. better go ahead and introduce some kind of mitten that renders the hand completely useless, now that they've tackled knife crime with this revolutionary new invention.

I swear though, if this dumb knife is even remotely successful I'm going to invent rubber crowbars just because I know there's people out there stupid enough to buy them.

Here's a hint to the U.K.: You know what makes a criminal's knife stab proof? A bullet in the criminal's head.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It can still be used as a weapon, just treat your victim as a if he/she was a vegetable.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great
It can still be used as a weapon, just treat your victim as a if he/she was a vegetable.

i could use a rolled up magazine to open your skull and remove your brain. Anything is a weapon in the hands of someone either very creative, or trained to do so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join