It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feel Good Story for 5/3/04 / Single Mom Gets A Home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There are no links to this story, as it happened to a co-worker of mine.

Becky is a 30 year old single mom that I work with. She is bright, funny and outgoing. She has a daughter of 8 years.

Becky recently started looking for a house to move into. She wanted to get her daughter into a good school system and get away from apartment living.

After searching the paper, internet and area realtors, Becky found the house that she wanted. The bank said yes to the loan so she was set.

The asking price was about $10k more than Becky wanted to pay and could afford, so she offered a lesser amount. The owner of the home, countered with a higher amount. Becky didn't give up, she counter offered another amount and the owner started asking questions, like is there a problem with the finances. The realtor explained that Becky was a single mom and was trying to get the best deal possible as she would have to also buy applicances for the home.

As it turned out the owner, was a single mom for 12 years and felt the need for Becky to get this house. She decided to sell the house to Becky for $500 less than Becky's original offer and the owner would also pay the closing costs.

Becky signed the papers on her loan on Friday and is expecting to have an inspection and close later this month.

When Becky was telling me this story and how it transpired, it made me feel good knowing that there are still people out there who care enough to help those who are trying to help themselves.

It also goes to show, just ask, while you may think that people are mean and will say no, ask, you just might get surprised.

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by elevatedone]

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's always nice to hear when good things happen to good people. Sometimes profit shouldn't be the reason for everything.

Tell Becky the people on some website she's never heard of are happy for her!

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
It also goes to show, just ask, while you may think that people are mean and will say no, ask, you just might get surprised.

Yes, thats perfectly true. You never know unless you try.
An excellent story and congratulations to Becky.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Good Deal!
Maybe it will spark something like the movie "Pay It Forward".
I needed a feelgood story after all the horrible things I'v read lately.
Thanks ElevatedOne!
Baked

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
That's really great to hear.
I can imagine how she felt at the generosity. It must have made her day, or month, or year
It wouldn't be easily forgotten.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
It's always nice to hear when good things happen to good people. Sometimes profit shouldn't be the reason for everything.

Tell Becky the people on some website she's never heard of are happy for her!

Oh she's heard of you guys... everyday at lunch time I'm on here and she's usually close by and I had her a little interested in the Find The Rings at one time....

I'll keep working on her and maybe she'll join some day.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by baked
Good Deal!
Maybe it will spark something like the movie "Pay It Forward".
I needed a feelgood story after all the horrible things I'v read lately.
Thanks ElevatedOne!
Baked

Stay Tuned, as I am searching for a "Feel Good" story everyday ! I too don't like reading the "news" everyday, it's always the same, Death, War, etc... I want to focus on the good that is out there.

Don't worry, didn't just take this upon myself, asked for and received Mod approval for "feel good story of the day".

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Indeed you did, and I'm glad to see it.

We do get a lot of doom and gloom news around here. It's also good to see the other side of life.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I was glad to read of this story as well.

To be truthful my view of humanity needed a major uplift at this point in time and reading of people like that owner doing a sister a solid gave me the reminder I needed that all people aren't like Toad-Woman.

Or some of the customers I serve lol

Again..Good story, congratulations to your friend for acquiring a home of her own. (I've always felt that whoever invented apartments was one cruel son-of-a-bitch)

new topics

top topics

join