It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force, Boeing test laser over NM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a348ab81ed6f.jpg[/atsimg]
Air Force, Boeing test laser over NM

KIRTLAND AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. (AP) - The U.S. Air Force and the Boeing Co. have successfully tested a high-power laser while in flight over southern New Mexico.

St. Louis-based Boeing Integrated Defense Systems said Monday in a news release that the laser hit a target located on the ground during Saturday's test.

The advanced tactical laser aircraft took off from Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque and fired the laser while flying over White Sands Missile Range in southern New Mexico.

Boeing is developing the laser - a C-130H aircraft equipped with a high-energy chemical laser and a beam control system - for the Air Force. Gary Fitzmire, vice president and program director of Boeing Directed Energy Systems, says the test shows that the laser's ultra-precision will dramatically reduce collateral damage.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
WOW , yet another way to spend money to find new ways of killing people when there are people starving to death or needing medical care.

And how precisely does this 'laser weapon'o'death' actually take out its intended target?

Does it heat things up and starts fires? does it explode when it hits?does it cut throught things? is it a microwave type beam that cooks things ? and seeing as its 'directable' what stops it from accidentally slicing through a home next to the intended target?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I would love to see your credible resources for this story.because I come from a Military aviation background and judging by the load this plane would have to carry would be entirely to heavy for it to get a hundred feet off the ground if that much. so i would need some sort of new release and credible evidence to take this to seriously.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Interesting but where is the source?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Interesting but where is the source?

Here ya go!

Boeing Tests Entire Weapon System on Advanced Tactical Laser Aircraft

During the test Aug. 7 at Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M., the ATL aircraft, a C-130H, fired its high-energy chemical laser through its beam control system. The beam control system acquired a ground target and guided the laser beam to the target, as directed by ATL's battle management system. The laser passes through a rotating turret on the aircraft's belly.

-E-

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I did a google search and came up with this link - no pictures but still a story.

www.kcbd.com...

Dorian Soran

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Well its true Boeing's been busy with the high-tech death rays and new weapons systems but this is not like a Hollywood movie...

First everything happens real fast, micro seconds, as in blink and its all over... Picture a terrorist working on a WMD, a super bright flash makes you blink and just like that your WMD is a charcoal bricket

Their first real objective was to limit collateral damage as in people like to place weapon systems next to school and hospitals knowing we wouldn't attack them for fear of hurting innocents...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/413c44852a2d.jpg[/atsimg]

But this in only part of the project at the same time Boeing is working on a new fighter style UAV. The Boeing Phantom Ray is expected to have its lab tests later this year and the first flight in 2010, soon after it will be fitted with this new laser to make a stealth weapons platform...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4817542b37d0.jpg[/atsimg]

Why do this? well boys do like their toys and this is a shinny new mega toy but if this works it means putting a lot fewer people in harms way... hurting far fewer innocent bystanders

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Just in time to start shooting down, north koreas missiles.

Little kim will piss his pants if his missiles keep exploding and he can't see anything intercepting them.

I wonder what kind of range the laser has?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Thanks for the link the only source I had for this was the base newspaper... now I don't have to try scanning it to the puter

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Thank you that all i needed to see. My father works for Boeing and Lockheed MArtin so i woul dha efound it out eventualy you just made it easy though thank you.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Thank you much

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

it has a range of 6 feet.......

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Your Welcome DaddyBare, PINDARFOX12, and mblahnikluver! Have a star for being so polite!!!

-E-

new topics

top topics

join