It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin accepts David Letterman's apology

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Cheers my friend. I wouldn't consider myself articulate though, I feel my posts just don't really hit the mark that my mind thinks of. I guess thats why it's not an apparent logic to others.

Sometimes it's rather hard to purvey an adequate meaning when strong sentiment pushes it along..

Such is life... (Ned Kelly, Nov 11, 1880 - just before he was hanged)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
No, and she shouldn't have to. A 62 year-old man telling sexually perverse jokes about an 18 year-old girl - that sounds like a dirty old man to me.

The jokes letterman were perfectly justified imo as well s why should he apologise and she shouldn't? You can't pick and choose here, either they both need to apologise or neither should. If you pick and choose then you just show yourself as biased.

Take the supermarket analogy. If you saw an old man (in his 60s) watching an 18 year old girl pass by and then he cracks some sexually explicit joke to you about her, would you not thing he was a dirty old man?

No i would just think he's a man. At what age does normal sexual attraction become dirty? I find it odd that some would condemn an old guy just because he notices attractive women. Are you in your 60's? If so can you honestly say you have no sexual thoughts or feelings?

Letterman is no different just because he's a "comedian" and he's been doing it for 30+ years. It's still disrespectful.

Good luck finding a court judge who doesn't agree on that one.

Erm it's free speech, so disrespectful speech is now illegal? Good luck making that case in court lol! Also comedians are often disrespectful so why is it in this case that it is wrong?

If you think Letterman was crossing the line then you don't want to hear some of the British comedians. There really is no line in Britain, i've heard plenty of jokes about 12 year olds who are having kids, really funny stuff.

EDIT

Actually listening to the jokes again.............all he did was comment on something that happened and made it funny. It seems Palin cannot take any jokes about her or her family. The woman is a power hungry drama queen and those of you on her side are either over reacting as you have no sense of humour or you're such big Palin supporters you hate to see anything bad about her. Even if it's truthful.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

No, and she shouldn't have to. A 62 year-old man telling sexually perverse jokes about an 18 year-old girl - that sounds like a dirty old man to me.

The jokes letterman were perfectly justified imo as well s why should he apologise and she shouldn't? You can't pick and choose here, either they both need to apologise or neither should. If you pick and choose then you just show yourself as biased.

In this case I believe you can. Letterman started the whole mess, therefore the responsibility falls on his shoulders. But more below on why I think the Palins don't owe him a damn thing.

Take the supermarket analogy. If you saw an old man (in his 60s) watching an 18 year old girl pass by and then he cracks some sexually explicit joke to you about her, would you not thing he was a dirty old man?

No i would just think he's a man. At what age does normal sexual attraction become dirty? I find it odd that some would condemn an old guy just because he notices attractive women. Are you in your 60's? If so can you honestly say you have no sexual thoughts or feelings?

Here's YOUR over-dramatic mind working overtime, now. No one is condemning the old man for having sexual feelings and no one will deny that it's a natural thing. What is vulgar is to vocalize those feelings publicly, especially, as Letterman said, to get "cheap laughs".

Letterman is no different just because he's a "comedian" and he's been doing it for 30+ years. It's still disrespectful.

Good luck finding a court judge who doesn't agree on that one.

Erm it's free speech, so disrespectful speech is now illegal? Good luck making that case in court lol! Also comedians are often disrespectful so why is it in this case that it is wrong?

I wasn't the one who brought up the possibility of slander/libel so Letterman would have to prove that what Palin said was actually damaging and there is absolutely no way in hell he could do that, especially with the evidence of what he said and his apology on national television.

If you think Letterman was crossing the line then you don't want to hear some of the British comedians. There really is no line in Britain, i've heard plenty of jokes about 12 year olds who are having kids, really funny stuff.

EDIT

Actually listening to the jokes again.............all he did was comment on something that happened and made it funny. It seems Palin cannot take any jokes about her or her family. The woman is a power hungry drama queen and those of you on her side are either over reacting as you have no sense of humour or you're such big Palin supporters you hate to see anything bad about her. Even if it's truthful.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

I'm not a Palin supporter, FYI, but I don't like to see anyone attacked unfairly and I especially hate it when people give "comedians" a pass at vulgar and disrespectful behavior just because they are "doing their job". Ever stop to think that quite possibly comedians pushing the envelope of shocking and disrespectful jokes about other people might just be contributing to the corrosion of American society? Do you think that maybe the reason people don't respect one another nowadays the way they used to might have something to do with these stupid comedians getting passes at telling more and more vulgar jokes about everyone - to the point where America just becomes de-sensitized to the whole thing?

I do. I think if you give any public voice a pass at this kind of behavior then you contribute to the detriment of the quality of society as a whole.

But I would never go so far as to suggest a law outlawing what someone says publicly. That would violate the first amendment. As vulgar and stupid as I find Letterman, his rights are still protected by the Constitution like all American citizens' rights.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

See, this is what I'm referring to. Would it be ok to make salacious jokes about your mother, in the local supermarket?

Of course I wouldn’t enjoy a late night talk show host making cracks about my family member, but I wouldn’t be outraged or think that they were attacking all women, or call them sexist, and make it a political issue.

When did respecting someone stop being important.

I never said it wasn’t.

If the people being joked about take it seriously, that is all that counts.

For all we know the person being joked about didn’t care, when has she spoken in outrage about this? So far it's just her mother making this part of politics. It’s fine if people want to defend her, but making this about all women or a political issue is nonsense, public figures get attacked, it happens. It’s a reality of being in the media. If you don’t like it then you do not involve yourself in public affairs, otherwise you have to grow up and realize that a few jokes may be made at your expense.

No woman, no man, deserve to have their worth belittled because of their personal lifestyle.

If her worth was belittled by one little joke then she didn’t have much to begin with. People should not be so sensitive and put so much worth in late night TV shows, that’s definitely not a road to go down if you’re an intelligent person.

Oh twaddle. You're saying she is fair game. FAIR GAME?

Yes fair game, and you implied quite clearly that people who agree with this think that raping certain women is okay, that is an outrageous silly claim that I feel silly for even addressing.

Almost scientologist in it's sound....

Lol, first it was my own family, then it was rape, then it was all women and their self worth, now you’re bringing Scientology into this? LOL, can you not see why people think this is being overblown by the dramatic?

As I said up there, there is indeed a double standard with gender based situations, no matter if it's a trade, a profession or humorous.

That doesn’t answer my question though, so if we are to believe that every joke involving a woman is attacking all women and a person’s self worth then you also believe this is the case with Sotomayor, are they attacking all women and all Latinos? Are people mocking Obama mocking all blacks?

[Edit: Going out for the day, please don't assume that a slow reply is a non reply, I will get back to you.]

[edit on 17-6-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

So I take it you weren't able to find evidence of another comedian cracking sexually explicit jokes about another politician's daughter then?

Where did I say that? I was waiting for your retraction before I bothered. I clearly stated that I would not continue a debate with you if you did not (see my previous post).

And I'll make this statement - you may not be offended by those sexually explicit jokes, and that's fine. But if you actually find them funny then I would say you do not respect other women as much as you could. And being that you're a female who ascribes to liberal/moderate values, that's really surprising. You're only hurting your own gender's rights movement by perpetuating that kind of disrespect.

Like I said before, it's silly to assume every joke about a person is directed at their gender or race. Then every joke about Obama is directed at all males and blacks, every sexual joke about any woman is directed at all women and their self worth. That's a silly conclusion for anyone to jump to. In the long run it hurts our society AND it hurts our case when we go after someone who says something truly offensive because we've already complained about every little thing under the sun.

[Edit: Going out for the day, please don't assume that a slow reply is a non reply, I will get back to you.]

[edit on 17-6-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

It could be argued Palin started it with a snide comment about his show actually. So get those facts right. I don't much like Letterman but i'll defend anyone's right to say what they like as long as long as it isn't slander. His comments wern't slander and she wouldn't have been able to get anything in court.

Letterman i bet didn't want to apologise it's just that there was a public outcry. I bet most of the public didn't see Palins little remark about his show that kick started him into action. Also the old saying goes "a person is smart, people are stupid", that is exactly what we are seeing. A load of over reacting muppets, throwing their collective weight just to be a part and feel important.

His jokes imo were absolutely fine, well justified and well i think you're just over reacting.

Oh and i addressed the supermarket example, i wasn't over reacting, you asked a question and i responded saying i don't consider someone who is old fancying an 18 year as making them a dirty old man, if they voice it or not! Desires are perfectly natural.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this, to be honest... I don't want this to turn bad between us, so I'm going to bow out because it is something I feel strongly about.

I hope you understand that, Im not giving in or running away, I just feel you are worth more to me than this one debate, and things can go awry quickly.

Anyway, I respect you opinions, but in this mine differ.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Star for the use of decorum in this matter. I've been away for several months and since I've returned I've noticed that the debates have gotten increasingly nasty and personal. Nice to see that not everyone has lost the art of debate and decorum! Kudos for you!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I pray we can put this circus to sleep. now.

Is it over??

Good. Actually, millions more tuned into Letterman last night- this has helped his ratings incredibly.
I have always liked Dave and found him to be a gentleman. I DONT KNOW WHO WENT WRONG.... all i'm glad is its over with.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this, to be honest... I don't want this to turn bad between us, so I'm going to bow out because it is something I feel strongly about.

I hope you understand that, Im not giving in or running away, I just feel you are worth more to me than this one debate, and things can go awry quickly.

Anyway, I respect you opinions, but in this mine differ.

I respect your opinion too, and no I do not see you as "running away", that's just silly, I'm sure you have better things to do than to get into an ongoing debate with me
, like you said, sometimes it just doesn't seem like it's worth it. I wish I could be that way at times, but I honestly have a lot of trouble walking away from any debate, kudos to you.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Before or after she's paid-up her back taxes?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join