It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin accepts David Letterman's apology

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
reply to post by sos37

et's suppose it's some time later and Letterman makes a similarly disgusting sex joke about one of Obama's daughters.

Obama's daughters are not eighteen year old girls who put themselves in the spotlight for being Palin's daughter like Bristol did, becoming a spokesperson and being on the cover of a magazine.

I agree the joke was tasteless, but Bristol is the one who wanted media attention, now she's fair game.

Oh I like how you say "fair game", as in it's okay for comedians to come out and make sex jokes about young women, as young as 18, who get into the celebrity spotlight, even if it is for a brief amount of time.

Why don't they dare make sex jokes about Chelsea Clinton? She's put herself into the public spotlight on the coattails of her parents as well. And if comedians did make sex jokes about her, would you maintain that she's fair game too or would you suddenly find yourself a mouthpiece for the Women's Rights movement?

What I'm getting at is I find your posts on this matter full of hypocracy. It's all well and good as long as the person being trashed is someone on the other side of the political tracks, right? Who gives a damn about those Republicans and what they think, even if they are women - right?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by sos37
Re-post whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that his explanation is a lie. Palin was at that game with her 14-year old daughter, not 18 year old Bristol.

If I repost it will you watch it?

A little bump here. Seems this was lost in the crowd. What do you say?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

no they are in the spotlight as the presidents daughters, and has been stated before, i dislike obama but it would be equally out of line for him to make comments about them as well....

There's a difference between being in the spotlight because your parent is and choosing to use that for visibility. If Obama's daughters decide to use their father's positions to be on the cover of magazines and on day time TV as spokespersons for an organization then I'll call them fair game as well, so far they're little girls that have had no say in their visibility.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Re-post whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that his explanation is a lie. Palin was at that game with her 14-year old daughter, not 18 year old Bristol.

If I repost it will you watch it?

A little bump here. Seems this was lost in the crowd. What do you say?

If it's the same video posted here then I've seen it. Otherwise, sure go ahead and re-post and I'll watch.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Oh I like how you say "fair game", as in it's okay for comedians to come out and make sex jokes about young women, as young as 18, who get into the celebrity spotlight, even if it is for a brief amount of time.

Yep. I'm not that easily offended, I'm not that politically correct.

Why don't they dare make sex jokes about Chelsea Clinton?

They use to make joke about her being ugly when she was a little girl. For the record, I don't like Cheslea Clinton, and yes she is definitely, 100% fair game!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

No, the first one:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

no they are in the spotlight as the presidents daughters, and has been stated before, i dislike obama but it would be equally out of line for him to make comments about them as well....

There's a difference between being in the spotlight because your parent is and choosing to use that for visibility. If Obama's daughters decide to use their father's positions to be on the cover of magazines and on day time TV as spokespersons for an organization then I'll call them fair game as well, so far they're little girls that have had no say in their visibility.

Great rationalization there - "women who seek out visibility and publicity deserve it when they are treated as sex objects by older men".

That's EXACTLY what you just said, indirectly. Unbelievable.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Great rationalization there - "women who seek out visibility and publicity deserve it when they are treated as sex objects by older men".

Only that's not what I said.

Edit to add: Call the dramatic, politically correct police on me if you like.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
NO don't call the politically correct police on Rapin

Because when they see me in here, she's just going to go free and the Politically correct FBI will be called for and i'll end up in a stand off...

I'm personally waiting for the Chelsea Clinton, Bristol Palin Lesbian spread in Playboy to come out

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

Only that's not what I said.

Edit to add: Call the dramatic, politically correct police on me if you like.

Oh really? So what was it you were trying to say?

If Obama's daughters make themselves visible one day just to be visible (when they are 18 and older) then they are fair game as well? And then it would be okay for comedians like Letterman to make sexually-oriented jokes about them because they sought out publicity as an act of selfishness? I believe that's what you alluded to when you mentioned Bristol Palin.

As for Chelsea, making jokes about her being ugly and making sexually oriented jokes are on two totally different levels. One is poor taste to be making fun of a teenager's appearance. The other goes beyond poor taste and is shameful.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by sos37]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Oh really? So what was it you were trying to say?

Exactly what I said genius, without your assumed subtext.

If Obama's daughters make themselves visible one day just to be visible (when they are 18 and older) then they are fair game as well? And then it would be okay for comedians like Letterman to make sexually-oriented jokes about them because they sought out publicity?

Yes, they're fair game for tasteless jokes, you can not pick and choose what kind of media attention you want.

As for Chelsea, making jokes about her being ugly and making sexually oriented jokes are on two totally different levels. One is poor taste to be making fun of a teenager's appearance. The other goes beyond poor taste and is shameful.

The point is that people attacked her when she was just a child while Palin's adult daughter was part of the other scrutiny. It happens, but I didn't see any Republicans throwing hiss fits over that.

Again, when has Letterman ever made any sexually charged jokes about Palin's younger children that were clearly about them? When has he ever mocked them in general? Far as I've seen it hasn't happened, but it's happened to others and they didn't turn it into a political issue, and the right didn't get outraged over it. The intent here is clear.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I had not seen this video, thanks for posting it. After seeing it, I don't think he was making jokes about the 14 year-old girl, either. Hopefully he is as sincere as he sounded in that explanation (although the audience laughter as various times during his explanation didn't help his cause). Based on that, I think if he had known the 14 year old was with Palin he might have scrapped the sexual jokes about the daughter.

The top-10 joke about Palin is totally different. She's an adult and a politician - I would expect her to be able to take criticism and roll with the punches, especially after the last political election. It's the jokes that look like they target children or even teen agers that I'm particularly sensitive to - probably because I have a daughter of my own.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Far as I've seen it hasn't happened, but it's happened to others and they didn't turn it into a political issue, and the right didn't get outraged over it.

And you have an example of Letterman or another "comedian" having made sexually-charged jokes about a politician's daughter that didn't turn into a political issue?

I'm calling BS on that one. The jokes made about Chelsea didn't involve terms like "knocked up by Alex Rodriguez" or "having a hard time keeping Elliot Spitzer away from her" which are clear sexual innuendos.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Anyone who goes into the public eye is open to anything being said...

It wouldn't be funny if Millions of people didn't find it funny and laugh

why, because they have had similar thoughts, the joke wouldn't work if there weren't elements of truth in it

In this case that Truth was that Arod is a big slut, not her daughter whole thing was taken out of context

Even still, if you can't laugh at yourself? who can you laugh at? why be offended when comedians get raw on raw subjects... her daughter did get knocked up, what's the news here?

Comedians... the name implies "Don't take me too seriously"

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Besides...

Have you ever worked in show biz?

I have

and the common expression IS

"there is no such thing as bad publicity"

You think Palin is concerned for real? Or do you think she is Milking her conservative fan base?

and is not Letterman enjoying the same...

Don't be fooled, Palin and Letterman both are reaping the rewards of this... at her daughters expense and they don't give a good gosh darn, if you think i'm wrong your very naive

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

McCain made this joke about Chelsea back in the day:

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
Because her father is Janet Reno."

www.salon.com...

The right was never outraged over stuff like that, this was my point.

It will take me more time to find sex jokes that the right wasn't offended by, but I know they exist about politicians children and I will find them for you. Will you change your politically correct mind if I do?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Besides...

Have you ever worked in show biz?

I have

and the common expression IS

"there is no such thing as bad publicity"

You think Palin is concerned for real? Or do you think she is Milking her conservative fan base?

and is not Letterman enjoying the same...

Don't be fooled, Palin and Letterman both are reaping the rewards of this... at her daughters expense and they don't give a good gosh darn, if you think i'm wrong your very naive

Of course they are making a bigger deal about this than it needs to be - that's not what irks me with regard to some people in this thread. What I find disgusting are the folks on here wasting no time attacking the Palins just because they are the Palins. These same folks would then waste no time defending Chelsea Clinton against similar sexually explicit comments made by a comedian. Or if it were Al Sharpton making big issues about a small comment then that would ellicit serious conversation amongst the ATS crowd. With the Palins, it's just something to make fun of, never to be taken seriously.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by sos37]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

McCain made this joke about Chelsea back in the day:

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
Because her father is Janet Reno."

www.salon.com...

The right was never outraged over stuff like that, this was my point.

It will take me more time to find sex jokes that the right wasn't offended by, but I know they exist about politicians children and I will find them for you. Will you change your politically correct mind if I do?

I don't find the joke made about Chelsea Clinton funny, either. Doesn't matter if it came from Jon Stewart or John McCain. But I don't find it vulgar like the one Letterman told.

Good luck finding an example of a comedian making a sexually explicit joke about a politician's daughter. I will be surprised if you can find one that didn't cause a political firestorm.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I'm just saying, they are using the kid and so is she, the whole thing is for ratings and publicity for Palin, so how could I ever care, when what they are doing is in actuality far more disgusting on any moral level than the joke ever was...

For all I know, the whole thing is planned for a long awaited Palin Letterman get together on air, just like the whole Mc Cain thing obviously was

and... that is actually fair

people do seem to pick morals based on who they like and don't like...

what's good for the goose very rarely seems to be good for the gander

[edit on 16-6-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

But I don't find it vulgar like the one Letterman told.

You're perfectly demonstrating my point of why the right cares about this. You're using the same hypocrisy that you claim the left is.

Oh, I'll find it. Will you stop making claims about people attacking Palin's children now though? So far you haven't produced any evidence of the "left" attacking her underage children as you keep stating.

edit to add:

firestorm

My point was never that they didn't cause a firestorm. My point was that the right doesn't make a fuss about it until it is their own and they're doing it for political gain. The left does it too, both are being childish when this happens, and being hypocrites, like you're being, right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join