It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin accepts David Letterman's apology

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
If it wasn't because it's her then it's because she's a Republican.

Um, you skipped over my post about what Letterman has said about Rep's and Dem's over the last 30 years. Also about the 1st Amendment issue. Why?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37 Just because the person being discussed is Sarah Palin. If it wasn't because it's her then it's because she's a Republican.

Well, for me, it's definitely her. I mean I know, admire and/or love many Republicans, but her I can do without.

I think she needs to apologize to Dave for blowing this hysterically out-of-proportion.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don't agree with the outrage but I'm glad that he apologized, honestly a lot of this may have blown over if he just said he was mistaken about which daughter was at the game and said sorry for it.

Palin's response (you should read the full thing not just what was quoted in the OP) was just as tasteless as the joke, if she was doing this to protect her family then she would keep this issue about her family and stop making it political and stop trying to win political points with it.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
I don't agree with the outrage but I'm glad that he apologized, honestly a lot of this may have blown over if he just said he was mistaken about which daughter was at the game and said sorry for it.

He did. The neocons decided to ignore and then inflame this. His words, "Which daughter was 'knocked up'? The 18 yo." Everyone that wanted to be pissed at this just chose to ignore it though.

Funny that those that are OK with Limbaugh's 1st Amendment rights won't even bother to respond to questions about Letterman's.

*crickets*

That's OK, the reader sees this.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

He did. The neocons decided to ignore and then inflame this. His words, "Which daughter was 'knocked up'? The 18 yo." Everyone that wanted to be pissed at this just chose to ignore it though.

I agree it was overblown and clearly about the 18 year old, but in his first statement, as you pointed out, he didn't apologize, he just explained. Which was his right but I think it just gave Palin more leverage and he could have stopped that.

Funny that those that are OK with Limbaugh's 1st Amendment rights won't even bother to respond to questions about Letterman's.

That's because those crying double standard are often guilty of this themselves. See all the hardcore Christians who complain about their "rights" being infringed by gays. See all the Democrats who use to complain about the media letting Bush get away with murder in the beginning who now relish the same treatment of Obama.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

If it wasn't because it's her then it's because she's a Republican.

Um, you skipped over my post about what Letterman has said about Rep's and Dem's over the last 30 years. Also about the 1st Amendment issue. Why?

Because Intrepid, in those last 30 years how many times was the target of a "joke" (one in particularly bad taste) a 14 year-old girl?

And at what age do you consider the cutoff point for making jokes if you seriously think it's okay to make those kinds of jokes about someone that age? Where are the jokes about Obama's daughters? Where were the jokes about Chelsea Clinton when she was 14?

You tell me to get over it? You get over it, sir. You're comparing apples to oranges and trying to gloss over it like they are both the same issue when it's clearly not.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by sos37]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by sos37 Just because the person being discussed is Sarah Palin. If it wasn't because it's her then it's because she's a Republican.

Well, for me, it's definitely her. I mean I know, admire and/or love many Republicans, but her I can do without.

I think she needs to apologize to Dave for blowing this hysterically out-of-proportion.

Let's do ourselves a favor and get real here Kosmic - You act like Palin is the first person out there to ever over-escalate a situation. If it's just the over-escalation of nonsense that you feel so strongly toward then I expect you to feel the same way every single time Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton make mountains out of molehills. And yet, the liberal media justifies their behavior - why?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Because Intrepid, in those last 30 years how many times was the target of a "joke" a 14 year-old girl?

Have you even seen his explanation of this? He's explained ad nauseum that it wasn't the younger daughter that he was talking about. It's in English. I'll post it again if you need it.

You tell me to get over it? You get over it, sir. You're comparing apples to oranges and trying to gloss over it like they are both the same issue when it's clearly not.

No, I'm comparing apples to a fruit that doesn't exist, well, unless it's in the minds of those that cannot comprehend a cogent sentence.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

u act like Palin is the first person out there to ever over-escalate a situation.

Does that make it any less of an obvious, childish tactic? Who cares if she's not the first? The fact that she's doing this shows her true colors, and just piles on to a heap of other embarrassing things about her.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Have you even seen his explanation of this? He's explained ad nauseum that it wasn't the younger daughter that he was talking about. It's in English. I'll post it again if you need it.

Re-post whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that his explanation is a lie. Palin was at that game with her 14-year old daughter, not 18 year old Bristol.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Re-post whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that his explanation is a lie. Palin was at that game with her 14-year old daughter, not 18 year old Bristol.

How does that show that he lied? It's not called a lie, it's called a mistake. If you turned on the news the next day funnily enough many commentators admitted to forgetting she even had a younger daughter. I knew she had younger children but I never knew Willow's name until now. The joke was clearly about Bristol, who everyone is familiar with.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

u act like Palin is the first person out there to ever over-escalate a situation.

Does that make it any less of an obvious, childish tactic? Who cares if she's not the first? The fact that she's doing this shows her true colors, and just piles on to a heap of other embarrassing things about her.

Well that depends on why the issue is being escalated. On one hand you have David Letterman, an old comedian making sex jokes about one of her daughters. Palin is a parent and so obviously she is going to be pissed. But she's also got the media who is willing to listen to her and publish what she says.

Did Letterman go too far this time? I'll ask this same question and I expect a fully objective answer - let's suppose it's some time later and Letterman makes a similarly disgusting sex joke about one of Obama's daughters. Now do you think he's going too far, or is it just because he made a joke related to someone you actually side with?

If you're not a parent you won't understand the defense mechanism that kicks in. If I hear some old man making a sex joke about my daughter then I'll knock his lights out.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

Honestly, I am not surprised by what any of these people say. Whether it be Letterman, Leno, Palin, Ingram, et cetera, it seems that every time they open their mouths, only "stupid" comes out.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

How does that show that he lied? It's not called a lie, it's called a mistake. If you turned on the news the next day funnily enough many commentators admitted to forgetting she even had a younger daughter. I knew she had younger children but I never knew Willow's name until now. The joke was clearly about Bristol, who everyone is familiar with.

How do you know this was a mistake and not some attempt to garner cheap humor at an easy target (the Palins)? How do you know that this isn't what happened - Letterman and the rest of Hollywood, until now, believed they could say anything they wanted about the Palins and get away with it - except this time it offended some women. How do you know he's not backtracking to cover himself by lying?

[edit on 16-6-2009 by sos37]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

If I repost it will you watch it?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

How do you know this was a mistake and not some attempt to garner cheap humor at an easy target (the Palins)?

Because jokes about Bristol being knocked up were told before Letterman did them. Since when have the Palin's children been easy targets other than Bristol? I've never seen Letterman mocking any of her children other than the adult who put herself in the spotlight, if you have another example of him doing so then please share, or stop assuming that he is doing it now just because it fits Palin's agenda.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

et's suppose it's some time later and Letterman makes a similarly disgusting sex joke about one of Obama's daughters.

Obama's daughters are not eighteen year old girls who put themselves in the spotlight for being Palin's daughter like Bristol did, becoming a spokesperson and being on the cover of a magazine.

I agree the joke was tasteless, but Bristol is the one who wanted media attention, now she's fair game.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Did Letterman go too far this time? I'll ask this same question and I expect a fully objective answer - let's suppose it's some time later and Letterman makes a similarly disgusting sex joke about one of Obama's daughters. Now do you think he's going too far, or is it just because he made a joke related to someone you actually side with?

I'm glad you brought this up. NO. No difference to me. I'm not caught up in the right/left BS stuff though.

If you're not a parent you won't understand the defense mechanism that kicks in. If I hear some old man making a sex joke about my daughter then I'll knock his lights out.

I agree but the chances of this are minimal to say the least, so why is that an issue?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Ok lets say Letterman just made a mistake and treat him like others on the right that did. Fire him from his job, sue him in court for defamation of character and we can forget it. Anything less is hypocrisy from the left. What is wrong with equal justice and equal protection under the law? If you shoot someone accidentaly, a mistake, you are still tried for murder. As a previous thread on here about PC made a lot of, words DO hurt, remember the girl who committed suicide from the Facebook scam? Or does it only matter if she commits suicide?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

no they are in the spotlight as the presidents daughters, and has been stated before, i dislike obama but it would be equally out of line for him to make comments about them as well....

Just because we have our first amendment right, doesnt excuse people from using a little judgment and morality when they exercise that right.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join