It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could our Mars probes be misrepresented by future civilizations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I had a thought that occurred to me and thought this was as good a place as any to represent the thought.

If at some point in the future our current civilization has a huge set back and starts back from a Bronze Age type civilization and works back up to our current standings, where all of our knowledge is lost and they start sending probes to Mars again and see our lander craft there, would they belive this to be indication of previous life on Mars?

[edit on 6/16/2009 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'd say not-at-all.
They say history repeats itself, right?

Would the future PTB not just cover it up and hide it all from the populace.
We right now have no idea what they've really seen up there - maybe theres say, Atlantean probes up there right now lying dormant that NASA have ignored and covered up?

TPTB do certainly seem to know more than we do right now - whats to say that would change at all in future civilisation?
I hope it would, I'd like to see future earth as being rather enlightened - however, the way we're heading at the moment, I can't see that happening. Unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

I've always found these scenarios to be an interesting premise. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that this has already happened to us on Earth at some point in our distant past... ergo why we have no idea today how they did some of the amazing things in our early history like we see in Baalbek South America and Egypt for instance.

Something happens in our history where the advanced races 'die out'... a natural or self induced catastrophe... then the only people left to kick up the pieces are the non advanced peoples who have no understanding of how things work or how to fix them.

Even today we have advanced people in Europe and the West in general and then we still have people in remote areas of Papua New Guinea who aren't far off being stone age.

Perhaps there is a truth to the saying that the meek shall inherit the Earth.

IRM

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I was just thinking that doesnt it have USA on it? Wouldnt that show them that we have been there?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I was just thinking that doesnt it have USA on it? Wouldnt that show them that we have been there?

Probably but they'll no doubt have something analogous to the internet and conspiracy forums like this that suggest it's the smoking gun to time travelers.

IRM

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I was thinking more along the lines that our previous history being lost, they might not necesarrily have an understanding of our current languages and symbols, to which the people of their time would be doing their best at deciphering the symbols "U.S.A.", as well as all other writing found on the rovers.

Even if all evidence is not wiped out of our existence once they link the probes languge to that of a lost civilization on earth, I am sure speculation would start to rise as whether they were sent from Earth to Mars or whether the people wo created these things had actually come to Earth from Mars. I am sure there would many discussions disputing both sides each producing their own evidence.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
How bout this guy? I dont think its been fully explained. (I thought Sgt. Stone had some insight on this thing but I dont think he ever elaborated on it) But your question/idea is very interesting and if this isnt alien tech or anything a classified satellite, could it be a candidate for that type of scenario from an intelligent civilization from long ago? Per the article, it is believed to be manmade.

On Nov. 6, 1991 Jim Scotti using the Spacewatch telescope at Kitt Peak in Arizona discovered a body which he initially described as a "fast moving asteroidal object," a month befo re its closest approach to the Earth. Later, the object's heliocentric orbital elements suggested instead that "the object might be a returning spacecraft." As the approximately 30-foot object, now labeled 1991 VG, neared the Earth, astronomers at the Eur opean Southern Observatory tracked it and found strong, rapid brightness variations suggestive of reflections from a rotating spacecraft...

www.anomalist.com...

[edit on 16-6-2009 by spikedmilk]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hi, future-time fans.

The possibility of a "future" RE-civilisation form ours, seeing these
robots on Mars is VERY VERY small !

Why ? Because the robots are made of metal, and they will
have the "time" to rot/rust back to dust, before we Re-evolve to
send BACK new robots. And the erosion of wind-and-sand
will erase almost all recognizable shape. . .

Edit to add: And to Re-evolve, we are talking about
100,000s of years, if not 1,000,000s of years. . . ! ! !
They WILL/WOULD be gone, whatever the metal;
if not from rust, erosion WILL "erase" them !

Blue skies.

[edit on 2009/6/16 by C-JEAN]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

This is exactly the same thing that popped into my mind.! I wonder what if all the hush hush and cover up with the moon/mars is not due to ET bases but Human bases that would prove that our civilization had a major catastrophe in the past , and we are rebuilding from scratch again ...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

I seem to remember a while back in one of the Science Channel shows about how the rovers could last several milenie before corrosion and rust set in. Unfortunately I could not locate the source in which I had heard that, but that seems like plenty of time for a civilization to rebuild up to a point where their own probes might spot theses thingsbefore their final decay.

[edit on 6/16/2009 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I just had another thought on this as well, is it possible that our deep space probes that we send out, if reaching an alien home world may be though of as weapons?

Say the probes end up getting caught in the gravitational pull and are shot down to the surface of the unexpecting planet, possibly destroying a small town or city. After realizing that the things that destroyed the town (I m guessing that is has been more than one hitting their planet in order for them to react) or city was no natural, they go back over the trajectory of the object that was originally thought to be a meteor.

Their planet comes to gather over a common menace the blue planet circling the small distant star, they get funding for their war against this common enemy and are into the space race with fighter like space craft, in mere decades, possibly less, possibly more, it depends on their level at the time and the efficiency of their scientists.

So basically my question would be, is it possible that we could inadvertently start an interstellar war by sending out deep space probes?

[edit on 9/2/2009 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage
I just had another thought on this as well, is it possible that our deep space probes that we send out, if reaching an alien home world may be though of as weapons?

Say the probes end up getting caught in the gravitational pull and are shot down to the surface of the unexpecting planet, possibly destroying a small town or city. After realizing that the things that destroyed the town (I m guessing that is has been more than one hitting their planet in order for them to react) or city was no natural, they go back over the trajectory of the object that was originally thought to be a meteor.

Their planet comes to gather over a common menace the blue planet circling the small distant star, they get funding for their war against this common enemy and are into the space race with fighter like space craft, in mere decades, possibly less, possibly more, it depends on their level at the time and the efficiency of their scientists.

So basically my question would be, is it possible that we could inadvertently start an interstellar war by sending out deep space probes?

No, it isnt. If they hit a planet and the people from that planet have the technology to come to earth with "fighter like space craft" they also have the technology to contact us first before thinking of war. And they sure as hell would be too intelligent to not figure out themselves it is a crashed probe with research purposes.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNetherlands

No, it isnt. If they hit a planet and the people from that planet have the technology to come to earth with "fighter like space craft" they also have the technology to contact us first before thinking of war.

Not necessarily, if they were a planet that believed they were already under attack, would they really take the time to ask why and risk further destruction, or would they retaliate first and ask questions later.

And they sure as hell would be too intelligent to not figure out themselves it is a crashed probe with research purposes.

If the probe had impacted and destroyed a town or city, there may have been enough left to determine it was artificial, but not to determine it's function, but destroying a city would definitely be on the list, which would lead to weapon.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
As above, I've often wondered what happens to some of this stuff when it transfers from billion Dollar deep space exploration to space crap.

After we can't communicate with the thing any more, it zips off into the galaxy at breakneck speed, then eventually it may slam into a habited planet at 20,000mph, loaded with nuclear material and a load of mutated viruses and germs from some NASA engineer coughing and sneezing into the thing 100 years previous.

Hey presto, we've just wiped out the dinosaurs on an early planet, great.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

No, it isnt. If they hit a planet and the people from that planet have the technology to come to earth with "fighter like space craft" they also have the technology to contact us first before thinking of war.

Not necessarily, if they were a planet that believed they were already under attack, would they really take the time to ask why and risk further destruction, or would they retaliate first and ask questions later.

And they sure as hell would be too intelligent to not figure out themselves it is a crashed probe with research purposes.

If the probe had impacted and destroyed a town or city, there may have been enough left to determine it was artificial, but not to determine it's function, but destroying a city would definitely be on the list, which would lead to weapon.

Wouldnt they not know that Earth and humanity doesnt have these kind of weapons?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Wouldnt they not know that Earth and humanity doesnt have these kind of weapons?

How would they know? They might not even know we existed until the probe crashed onto their planet.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Why does it have to be our mars rovers? The moon is much closer and we could see it in detail before we could see mars. Couldn't some left behind space ship from the moon be seen and then thought to be alien or something? Also on the moon there is no wind so no erosion, and no water so no rust. The same side of the moon is always facing the earth so it would be easier to locate.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
And if a bit of our space junk did slam into another planet, wouldn't it be great if the intergalaxy CSI found the brass plaque with 'made in the USA' on it and came here and arrested President George Bush VII and charged him with dropping litter in the galaxy?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

In a word, "No".

In several words, let's start from the beginning of your premise.

Say the probes end up getting caught in the gravitational pull and are shot down to the surface of the unexpecting planet, possibly destroying a small town or city.

The odds of any of our deep space probes actually reaching any other planet, never mind one that has a civilization on it, are almost vanishingly small. Even if the probe does 'hit the jackpot' and drift into a stellar system with a civilization in it, and then manage to be drawn to the inhabited world in question, the probes aren't aerodynamic. They won't survive atmospheric reentry. They might make fairly spectacular meteors, but any debris that did reach the ground would be extremely small. If some of the debris came down on an inhabited area (so far, we're up to three "vanishingly unlikely" events in a row), it might damage a single building (which would do the local version of Home Depot a little good, as new shingles might be in order) or dent a car (which would make the local body shop happy)...but it wouldn't create a city-leveling impact by several orders of magnitude. Given the amount of time the probes will have to drift to reach another star system, even the radioisotope generators' cores will have mostly decayed into benign metals...the radiation hazard will be long gone.

After realizing that the things that destroyed the town (I m guessing that is has been more than one hitting their planet in order for them to react) or city was no natural, they go back over the trajectory of the object that was originally thought to be a meteor.

This is, of course, assuming that the probe survives reentry (see above).
And when they do review the trajectory, they'll still think it's a meteor. After all, it's on a free-flight course through deep space, followed by a gravity descent to the surface of their planet. That's the same sort of trajectory as any natural object that comes through the Solar system (except Nibiru...it seems to be able to dance all over the place at will, but that's another story!).

They (whoever "they" are) might find some surviving fragment of the probe, and realize that it's artificial...but they have no way of telling how old it is, or how far it's flown.

The only way they'd be able to backtrack the probe would be to recover it before reentry, find the plaque and CD mounted on the probe, and (assuming that the data survived, decode said data correctly, but if they do that, we can at least hope for some form of peaceful contact...unless, of course, the probe is found by a race like Larry Niven's Kzin.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

How would they know? They might not even know we existed until the probe crashed onto their planet.

As race that has "space fighters" like you called it or something, is definatly advanced and intelligent enough to know we exist. A race that has such technology also would have researched Earth, and thus know we dont posess such weapons.

If we had advanced "star trek like" spacefaring technology wouldnt we explore the universe and the planets? So why would another race not do that. Why would they create such technology at all if they dont inted to use it?

top topics

join