It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft 'Bing' rising dominance is a JOKE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I work in IT, we are scrubbing this Bing crap off of systems left and right. None of our customers have asked for it and are constantly raising tickets wanting to know what this "Bing thing" is and why their homepage is now Bing. They think it's a virus, etc. All the while msft is preaching of astounding gains of search engine market share. I hope they get nailed to the wall for this BS.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
, is Microsoft changing the homepage of Internet explorer via updates?

That is pretty sick. Damn. Thanks for the mention.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I've also had dozens in the last few days where their search bar preference has been wiped and bing placed as the primary search. They are forcing this thing out there then playing up the marketing that it's "taking off".

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Yeah, I also work in the IT Industry and have found Bing to be not what they claim it to be. Microsoft says that they had done extensive testing prior to release, but I am yet to really see the full potential of the Search Engine.

To me, the way it indexes website is a cut below Google. Bing tends to search for pages it self rather then except submissions from the public.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Yea, some crazy norwegain got this contract.
John Bing or something, Chandler Bing I thought was funny, but that is a tv show..

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I trust Microsoft over google any day of the week

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Now that is an interesting statement. I think that both are evil and both are not to be trusted.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
My vista 64 downloaded IE8 and now I have a Forex trading site as my homepage, with no option to change back to anything else, it says I need a system admin to change it , trouble is? I am the system admin and the only account holder on this PC, so WTF is going on with Microsoft blagging control of my PC?. Microsoft my A*se , microtheft more like.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Yea, some crazy norwegain got this contract.
John Bing or something, Chandler Bing I thought was funny, but that is a tv show..

Have you met his uncle, Bada?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I am an IT manager at a company that has roughly 50k employees and have not seen any reports of Bing being set as the home page or default search engine. There is a "add Bing to your browser" link right next to sign in, perhaps your users click that by mistake?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Bing is a piece of tripe as far as search engines go.

Try finding anything in the news search, or anything else for that matter.

Google has NOTHING to fear from this

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I agree with phlegmi. I am a software developer and routinely use 3-5 machines in my daily work and have not seen the autoassignment of BING. If users were using LIVE for their search bars and home page, well, OF COURSE, it is BING now. They replaced LIVE with BING. Otherwise, all is well.

I am using bing on a kind of trial run. It is a refreshing look, but if I cannot fond something I switch to google and try again. If that happens too much, I will indeed stop using BING.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I've found Bing to be quite useful in searching for drivers and software etc, as it lists official Microsoft stuff first. But this is also its worst problem, searches feel heavily filtered, Microsoft is definitely manipulating search results to benefit vested interests.

The most annoying thing is their pathetic image search... I mean, what the hell is going on there? Why does the list go on forever!? Bandwidth doesn't come cheap for some of us...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I am so glad I use Apple. I have had it for 3 years and have never had one single problem other than my friend dropping it on the tile floor

My roommate even went out and got an Apple recently. He says I am a bad influence, esp since he also got an iPhone last week.
I had MS before and all I had were problems and more problems. I dont miss it at all!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
meh, you dont have to like google but they're the best search engine hands gown and they dont install it to you computer against your will. I'm glad I don't need microsoft on my PC.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Hey sounds like a great avenue for .......mmmmm perhaps a gov thats going to start monitoring the internet with their Internet Czar....curious that this Bing thing is being pressed so hard , so close to this coming out.

IMHO just sounds like another way to start the regulation process on the internet. After all, it is a specialized search engine right, people are reporting that the searches are more filtered?

Sorry ill keep the sloppy "here is every result in the universe find out for yourself" method

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
Bing is a piece of tripe as far as search engines go.

Try finding anything in the news search, or anything else for that matter.

Google has NOTHING to fear from this

It's a "decision engine" . It made me decide not to use it after a horrible search of a fairly easy request. Who made Bing, MS got ripped off.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Modulus
But this is also its worst problem, searches feel heavily filtered, Microsoft is definitely manipulating search results to benefit vested interests.

Couldn't agree more. The simple searches I have done, leave me with that "Paid advertisement" taste in my mouth, rather than any actual real search.

top topics

join