It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Downloading IE8 will help feed hungry Americans

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
IE8 sucks man. it slows down my Internet won't let me change my home page and won't let me untinstall it.

Since microsoft started putting in Internet Explorer way back when it was decided to actually weave it into the operating system, as opposed to say microsoft word which is more or less a stand alone application.

The reason for this is to let internet explorer take care of any HTML scripting weather that is within a browser window of else where (help windows or such)... Ergo you can never really remove it, and once you have upgraded I suppose it would be very hard to go back to a previous version without reinstalling your operating system.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
OK, "IF" this is real, here is how you can help without having to install or use Internet Explorer 8.

It says for every completed download.....

OK, download it to the desktop then when it's finished, delete it.

You have helped feed the hungry and don't have to use M$'s new browser.

Just saying......

Also, in general, I will have to try and test it on XP or Vista, you can uninstall the current version of IE to a previous version by finding it in the programs list in the control panel.

I know I was easily able to take clients from ie 7 to ie 6 this way.

[edit on 6/16/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Be careful doing that. The comp I had to fix was XP home edition. I tend to think that once you upgrade to a new software from microsoft and you have an older OS, they mess with you to try to make you upgrade to their newer release.. as in VIsta. I don't know if anyone else experienced what we did, but it was a major pain to fix..We couldn't even boot up in safe mode.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What next from M$ ?

Install vista to feed dying africans..
Install office to help cancer patients..

O my... now the cos have started emotional blackmailing too...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This reminds me of one of the times Microsoft tried to settle an anti-trust/anti-competative lawsuit without taking a financial bashing. I forgot what the actual offence was, but they offered to "donate" computer hardware and software to poorer schools with old or broken computers. Apparently this suggestion was swept under the rug when the judge in the case realised the irony of the situation, and perhaps, Microsoft's true intentions.

Whether they are doing it purely for market share does not cancel out the fact that money will be raised for those in need. I for one will be downloading IE8 about 20 times during this period. I'll just use an anonymous site each time and make them think they have suckered 20 more Firefox users to switch back to their inferior browser.

What's the only good thing about downloading IE8 20 times? Getting to delete it 20 times!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Buying products from my store will help feed hungry Americans.

Namely me.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Ya know it must be a trashy piece of software if people have to be bribed into downloading it. Reminds me of those radio stations that nobody would otherwise listen to without those contest bribes to tune in.

I recall when IE5 came out I downloaded it during beta testing. Even though the company said it would run on win'95, my computer got messed up and the computer had to be reformatted.

I do not trust new microsoft programs.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
as a website developer/programmer i have morbid hate for IE lol.
if you use IE, then you deserve to have computer problems as a punishment for being a bad web user.

people have so many free/opensource options now and tons of APIs to build with, all which are way better than any MS product. i think MS is freaking out trying to keep from running away.

who can you say no to food?
unless you're a..

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That was fast.
It must be on my system already.
But not installed.
From what I heard they rearranged a few things that I might not like.

ED: M$ now knows how to live the Illuminati life, the donation is
a tax break. That will pay for the Illuminati lawyers and EU fines
and lawyers sucking at the tit of American computer programmers
and M$. So be it. The Illuminati games have begun.

[edit on 6/16/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaden_x
if you use IE, then you deserve to have computer problems as a punishment for being a bad web user.

people have so many free/opensource options now and tons of APIs to build with, all which are way better than any MS product. i think MS is freaking out trying to keep from running away.

unless you're a..

And THAT is exactly why I am a faithful Linux user

Why deal with all the nonsense that comes with Windows and PAY for it to boot
If you want to feed hungry people, take a trip to any poverty stricken area in America. Theres no need to crash out you OS and your wallet in the process of being a good deed doer

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Americans helping Americans to eat?
I thought that the Americans had all the money in the world and were a 'superadvanced' country?

Sorry but America is heading the way of the majority of 3rd world African nations where the population is starving , destitute and forgotten and the leaders are lording it up having banquets and roving around in top the range sports cars and boats.

Soon there will be a nation of hungry with guns fighting the nation of 'loyal' ( read that as paid) followers (army) with guns following orders of the elite.

People are important and theres nothing more proud than an American apparently ( I'm from the UK but we get the 'God Bless America' nonsense on TV ) America IS NOT looking after Americans but IS looking after Americas INTERESTS.
Are you sure your not American?Well said and right on the money.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
$1.15 huh? What are they feeding people, ramen noodle packets?

Must be. That was the only way I could live off of my wages when I worked as a groundskeeper. Ramen noodles and pakacges of frozen lima beans.

They are only given 1 million total? Seeing how Gates has donated hundreds of millions to Africa, yet only a mill to the nation that allows them to run their biz?

That's just pathetic.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy
I've noticed several people posting in this thread are somewhat against downloading and installing IE8.

I've been using Firefox 3 for about a year now and I'm VERY happy with it. The only thing I use IE for is to go to Windows Update from time to time. I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to using IE full time like I used to.

The GOOD NEWS is that you don't have to actually install IE8 in order to trigger Microsoft into donating. All you have to do is download the file. I downloaded it and it's only about 21 MB.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3abb438300a6.png[/atsimg]

For the download to qualify and count towards the donation for the Feed America organization, IE8 must be downloaded from www.browserforthebetter.com... and the browser must also be fully installed. If there are questions that any of you have about the event, feel free to reply to this thread and I'll do my best to answer them.

-Nate

A member of the IE8 Outreach Team.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by IE8Nate]

[edit on 16-6-2009 by IE8Nate]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaden_x

unless you're a..

Unfortunately, the vast majority of computer users have very basic knowledge about software and how it functions. Thus, most people who have IE just think of it as a necessary program to surf the web. If the average user understood the vulnerabilities and negatives of IE8, they would be bolting to other higher quality browsers.

At least people are starting to wake up and realise the benefits of using an alternative browser such as Opera or Firefox. MS are losing their dominant presence in the browser market at a rapid rate.

[edit on 18/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join