It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Downloading IE8 will help feed hungry Americans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

www.neowin.net

Microsoft has announced that for every completed download of Internet Explorer 8, they will donate the financial equivalent of eight meals to the Feeding America network.

The campaign is called "Browser for the Better," and runs from June 10 and August 8. Only IE8 downloads from the specific "Browser for the Better" website will count. Microsoft will be donating $1.15 (their reported financial equivalent of eight meals) per download, to a maximum of $1,000,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.browserforthebetter.com

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I know, it sounds like one of those emails that get forwarded hundreds of times saying that if you send this to 8 people Microsoft will pay you $30,000 that of course aren't real. I was pretty sceptical when I read the headline, but I think this one's legit. Neowin's not a joke site and the article wasn't posted on April 1st.

For more info click the "Browser for the Better" link on the Neowin website.

www.neowin.net

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
IE8 sucks man. it slows down my Internet won't let me change my home page and won't let me untinstall it.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Chovy]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Wow, that's low. Exploitation of hunger for corporate profit?

A company with the total net worth of many nations is withholding 1 million dollars worth of food from starving people until they gain another fraction of a percent on the competition? And twisting it around to make it sound like an act of benevolence?

I bet their bean counters figured out that this move will have a positive ROI over time, and saw another way to guilt trip the consumer into assimilating.

If they really were concerned with the problem of hunger, they'd just use the million dollars and feed people instead of playing games. If they wanted to, they could already afford to. Microsoft makes something like 15 BILLION per quarter, give or take a few small nations' worth. They've got the leverage to solve the problem of hunger on a whim, almost overnight.

But hey' there's profit in exploitation of the powerless.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Feed the hungry Americans????

Did someone get to be under 300 lbs?

More Big Macs... Yeeee Ha!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I was gonna say blah blah are you sure because there is no press release but then I found one.

www.microsoft.com...

Its real

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
This is shocking. An American company actually wanting to help Americans. You know things must be bad when US companies choose to feed hungry Americans instead of the billions who are hungry elsewhere in the world. Despite the sterotype of rich, fat Americans there are actually many poor people who live there, or at least the figures I have seen would suggest this. Many very rich, fat people as well of course.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Ya know it must be a trashy piece of software if people have to be bribed into downloading it. Reminds me of those radio stations that nobody would otherwise listen to without those contest bribes to tune in.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy

www.neowin.net

Microsoft has announced that for every completed download of Internet Explorer 8, they will donate the financial equivalent of eight meals to the Feeding America network.

The campaign is called "Browser for the Better," and runs from June 10 and August 8. Only IE8 downloads from the specific "Browser for the Better" website will count. Microsoft will be donating $1.15 (their reported financial equivalent of eight meals) per download, to a maximum of $1,000,000.

Related News Links:
www.browserforthebetter.com

How did they figure that eight meals costs $1.15? that is B.S. if I ever have heard it. False advertising. Sickening

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Americans helping Americans to eat?
I thought that the Americans had all the money in the world and were a 'superadvanced' country?

Sorry but America is heading the way of the majority of 3rd world African nations where the population is starving , destitute and forgotten and the leaders are lording it up having banquets and roving around in top the range sports cars and boats.

Soon there will be a nation of hungry with guns fighting the nation of 'loyal' ( read that as paid) followers (army) with guns following orders of the elite.

People are important and theres nothing more proud than an American apparently ( I'm from the UK but we get the 'God Bless America' nonsense on TV ) America IS NOT looking after Americans but IS looking after Americas INTERESTS.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jacob08
This is shocking. An American company actually wanting to help Americans.

I hope you are being sarcastic. The only reason they are doing this, is because of the threat called Firefox, taking over market share rapidly. Microsoft exploits the crisis by using it as a marketing tool.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I will download and delete. I prefer Fire Fox... then again, I don't trust Microsoft enough to even download their crap....

I would also love to know how I can feed myself eight meals for $1.50. Perhaps if they tell me, I may download their Back Door .. I mean, Internet Explorer.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
What's a "meal" consist of for those prices? 8 oz of oatmeal? A cup of rice? Probably something along those lines. For $1.50 you can eat rice about 8 times unless you gotta pay for water, and count the energy used to cook it, or want stuff like salt or some kind of seasoning.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
$1.15 huh? What are they feeding people, ramen noodle packets?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
simple - download it , uninstall it , then get a tax note and credit it for your own return that year

*the last part im joking about*

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
"Feed the hungry Americans"? Isn't that like "Bribe the corrupt Africans" or "Annoy the angry Muslims"?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I've noticed several people posting in this thread are somewhat against downloading and installing IE8.

I've been using Firefox 3 for about a year now and I'm VERY happy with it. The only thing I use IE for is to go to Windows Update from time to time. I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to using IE full time like I used to.

The GOOD NEWS is that you don't have to actually install IE8 in order to trigger Microsoft into donating. All you have to do is download the file. I downloaded it and it's only about 21 MB.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The only thing I can see people eating 8 times for that price IS ramen noodles. I'm not talking about the ones that come with their own cup either. I guess they might throw in a bowl for each 8 meals if we download enough?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I can see it now.:
"Sir, my noodles aren't cooked and I don't have a fork..."
"Nobody paid for a fork and water, you filthy scum!"

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Please, that software is ridiculous!! My husband upgraded to IE8 5 days ago. I spent the following 4 days trying to repair his comp because it caused a system wide failure!

Yeah, they are feeding the hungry, but they are also making a profit on the anti viruses and upgrades you need AFTER you download that garbage!!

Sorry.. I had to vent on that one lol. Microsoft is EVIL

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join