It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Quotes From History That Are Applicable To The Times We Live In

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As many of you have heard time and time again, history is doomed to repeat itself. However, I do think we can avoid the frequency of many histories worst things by learning from their lessons. Never be ignorant or arrogant enough to believe that in some way we are better or more intelligent than those that have come before us.

Great Churchill Quote for the times we live in:

Some people regard private enterprise as a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look on it as a cow they can milk. Not enough people see it as a healthy horse, pulling a sturdy wagon." ~Winston Churchill

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Personally one of my favourite HST quotes. Always relevant in my opinion.

I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours. - Hunter S. Thompson

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hey, great thread!

Here are some i like:

“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around (the banks) will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.” - Thomas Jefferson

"Making war upon insurgents is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" – T.E. Lawrence

“If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” – James Madison

“The means of defence against foreign danger have been always the instruments of tyranny at home.” – James Madison

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” – Abraham Lincoln

“The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honor. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiques are belated, insincere, incomplete. Things have been far worse than we have been told, our administration more bloody and inefficient than the public knows. It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure. We are today not far from a disaster.” – T.E. Lawrence

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.” – Nietzsche

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Great ones..... I pray we learn the lessons of our forefathers

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Ok here's a few...

"He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money."

Benjamin Franklin

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."

Kurt Vonnegut

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it."

Malcolm X

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Soren Kierkegaard

Tons can be found at www.quotationspage.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Thomas Jefferson

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.

Thomas Jefferson

I have another one in my signature. Jefferson had many quotes that reveal our dangers. Too bad they were not heeded?

Peace.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."

-Woodrow Wilson, after signing the Federal Reserve into existence

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
“It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.”
Aristotle Onassis

This one is easy to understand!

~ the rejected Wisdom~
Wisdom went forth to make her dwelling among the children of men, and found no dwelling place
Wisdom returned to her place, and took her seat among the angels
(1 Enoch 42)

This one is quote///Set alongside this the brief and stylised history incorporated into the Book of Enoch,
known as the Apocalypse of Weeks because each period of the history is designated as a week.
It is the history of Enoch, Noah, Abraham, the giving of the Law but without any mention of Moses and the Exodus,
the building of the temple in the fifth week, and then, in the sixth week,
‘All who lived in the temple lost their vision,
and the hearts of all of them godlessly forsook Wisdom,
and the house of the kingdom was burned and the whole chosen people was scattered (1 Enoch 93).
This history knows nothing of the Deuteronomists’ story of the Exodus and their hero Moses, but it does emphasise Enoch,
and says that Jerusalem was destroyed after the people in the temple had forsaken Wisdom.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Another great one i have always liked is this.

Give me the place to stand, and I shall move the earth — Archimedes

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuse_orders
Another great one i have always liked is this.

Give me the place to stand, and I shall move the earth — Archimedes

Good one. People seem to have been deeper thinkers in yesteryear....

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"There's a sucker born every minute".
P.T. Barnum

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Napoleon Bonaparte

When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.

Ben Franklin

He who sacrifices liberty for security deserve neither

Henry Ford

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.

Henry Ford

A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.

Thomas Jefferson

I have ever deemed it more honorable and more profitable, too, to set a good example than to follow a bad one.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
As much as i dislike Kissinger, i think he was right with this one...

Military men are nothing more than stupid animals.... tools to be used for political gain

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.-Thomas Jefferson

A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.-Thomas Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.-Thomas Jefferson

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
"In a time of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right. "-Thomas Paine

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. "-Thomas Paine

"An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot. "-Thomas Paine

"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "-Thomas Paine

"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. "-Thomas Paine

"But such is the irresistable nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants is the liberty of appearing. "-Thomas Paine

"
Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. "-Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself. "-Thomas Paine

top topics

join