It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Brutality in the UK - Nottingham

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I am so torn on this thread, i can see both sides of the arguement.

I do think it is so easy to comment without experience of what you are judging though.

What would i like to see? I would like to see those who moan about how rough the police could be, given the following oppurtunity....

You are kitted out with a baton, CS spray and a tazer. You are then put on the streets at kicking out time at the pubs. You are then directed to deal with a violent man who is bigger and stronger than you.

I would lay bets on you using whatever means you had if that guy lands one on you and you can't restrain him with normal restraint methods.

Then again, i would love to see the police subjected in training to the experience of being restrained like they do on the streets. Not just a "walk through talk through" like you do in training. I mean slammed into the deck on a tarmac road with three officers on them.

Maybe if that was part of training, they'd know how it feels and might thing twice in future when dealing with a suspect.

CX.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I never used to have a problem with the police. growing up in a middle class area, the police always seemed helpful and on the one occaision i was pulled over, they were helpful and wern't looking to lock me up, just gave me a warning..

My hatred of the police started when I went to the G20 protest. I spoke to a lot of police officers that day trying to find out what they were doing and why they were creating a problem. They were rude, unhelpful and well everybody saw the rest for themselves.

The fact that they now wear a more paramilitary uniform, combat pants, replacing usual hat with peaked cap. This gives them a tougher, meaner look.less approachable. what next?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Lucky guy the one who filmed it. They could've arrested him and taken the footage.

No, they couldn't. They'd like to tell you they can and intimidate you, hoping you're ignorant of the Law, but they can't really arrest you unless they can prove the images "are likely to be used for purposes linked to Terrorism or National Security".

Also, they guy was resisting arrest and was drunk, his own admission, so having four police on him to try and cuff him is standard. Not to sure of he needed tazing though....

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

The fact that they now wear a more paramilitary uniform, combat pants, replacing usual hat with peaked cap. This gives them a tougher, meaner look.less approachable. what next?

Sorry, but the whole uniform thing is completely ridiculous. I've heard it many times before. There is no conspiracy to make officers look more like "Nazis" or "intimidating", or whatever.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
If you think that bad, i have been mind raped for 17 years.

The police have all these techs for years, and the government in uk. They have not let me live a single second of my life for 17 years, in london.

SO think yourself lucky these weapons are not used on you in england also. They must be doing this to many people in uk, but most people would not even know.

Oh, Andy, Andy, Andy... Seriously.

Every Police thread and your here with your crazy, paranoid accusations without any evidence, details or anything. That's all after I and others have told you, repeatedly, to go to the IPCC yet you do not. I am beggining to think you are very unwell and these things haven't actually happened.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

He won't though. He never does. I've been asking him for ages to relate what he bangs on about, but he never replies to my posts, let alone actually start a thread on it. But you cna put money on the fact that if you start a thread about Policing in the UK, he will turn up and post the very same thing every time.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by KEMIK

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Sorry, but the whole uniform thing is completely ridiculous. I've heard it many times before. There is no conspiracy to make officers look more like "Nazis" or "intimidating", or whatever.

It doesn't need to be a conspiricy. If i find a bloke in black combat pants black shirt and cap more intimidating than bloke with short sleeve white shirt with a big hat on, thats me being a concerned citizen.

Why is there now a need for this more military look. Combat pants. The clues in the name.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

It's just more comfortable. Simple. The typical uniform is a bit outdated. It is uncomfortable. The bdu's that you are referring to are like wearing pajamas. I probably should have used a better term than "conspiracy". My bad.

CX

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

It's just more comfortable. Simple. The typical uniform is a bit outdated. It is uncomfortable. The bdu's that you are referring to are like wearing pajamas. I probably should have used a better term than "conspiracy". My bad.

I can totaly relate to that.

In the MP's it was a nightmare patroling in our smarter uniforms, what they called our "No 2 dress".

Much more practical wearing lightweights or combats and boots. Just looks a bit more aggressive though.

Then again, if you made yourself approachable and were respectfull to people, you never once heard complaints about aggressive uniforms.

CX.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   

i'm just saying what i see and i dont like it. Are you a member of the Constabulary?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Nice post CX, you've hit a few nails on the head in there i reckon. Yeah, I think people can have a deeply entrenched hatred for the police without having first hand negative experiences of them. I'd long been an antifan of theirs before I'd been on the wrong side of the law. (and on the right side, with negative effect) I guess I'm just anti authority. It's funny, this conversation came up with my mum not so long ago (over the G20 stuff) and she sid "but you've always hated the police" I guess i just believe that power corrupts, and no man should hold power over another. I know there's a need for the police, I'm not daft (no, for real
) There're alot of bad people on the streets that need to change their ways. But the more and more i see of police violence (especially against peaceful people), the more I can see that it's more than just a few bad apples, the whole tree needs rerooting and planting again. The whole system needs a shake up, but I fear that it's gone to sour for that to happen, the corruption and lawlessness of the law, is beyond repair, and beyond a joke.

edit to say, and you're right about watching videos of the bad ones, taints the whole force. Becasuse it does. And the decent cops of this world, who did join up to fight crime and not beat citizens, need to stand up and be counted.

[edit on 17/6/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Exactly. Our officers fought with the department for 3 years to transfer over to bdu's. The "class A" is what we call the typical unifrom, was just a pain in the rear. The pants are stiff, the shirts make you sweat. It was impractical.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Not in your country.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This stuff is normal in London. Trust on that.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

reply to post by Mintwithahole.

Staggering level of ignorance. Honestly.

Lost respect for the general public? Who protects the public? And as far as escalating to a higher level of violence? We don't live in candyland anymore. Sometimes to you have no choice but to. I sincerely doubt that those officers woke up that day thinking, "I'll have my morning tea...then go kick someones ass."

Is it me or is this just a "bit" similar to the Rodney King incident? You're not seeing the full story. This individual was resisting the officers attempts to restrain him. He attempted to kick one of the officers.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by KEMIK]

Are you kidding me? You say I'm ignorant (thanks for that) I say you're in denial. You want to climb down out of your ivory tower and mix with us ordinary people for a while. The sort of ordinary people who end up on the end of policemans truncheon because they've had one pint too many. The sort of people who have their homes broken into and call the police only for them not to turn up because their to busy chasing speeders or towing away cars. The sort odf people who stand up to these thugs and end up sitting in a cell for the night because the law says you can't fight back. . .
For gods sake man, get a grip and wake up. This kind of police brutality is going on in our town centres every night of the week. Its on our TV screens virtually every evening.
You say we don't live in Candyland anymore. . . Do you know what, I honestly think you do!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

First off, look at it from an officer's standpoint in this situation. You arrive on the scene...someone is drunk and disorderly, which appears to be the case (not exactly sure, but lets go with it). They refuse to leave in a manner appropriate. Do you let them stay? No. Because it is an injustice to the public, AND a liability. You cannot allow them to drive, obviously. You cannot allow them to stay at that location. It is best that they are taken into custody. Why? Because what happens if he committed some sort of criminal act after they arrived? Blame the cops! They didn't do their job. I do not condone the acts of officers that do not act within the scope of the law. But ask yourself this...who comes to your defense when there is an issue? Who are the first ones on the scene when there's an accident? The countless lives that have been saved by law enforcement officials is immense. And yet we focus on a handful of nonsensical acts?

Do I think that the force displayed in this case is excessive? No. He was not cooperating, clearly. He attempted to kick an officer.

Show the rest of the video, maybe it will all make sense. Don't show a clip and try to enrage everyone while you hide the facts of what lead up to their actions. If there's no provocation, then I apologize.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

He attempted to kick an officer! If someone attempts to kick you and you retaliate and strike out it will be you who ends up in the cell not the person who started the trouble. However, wear a police uniform and suddenly you can use as much violence as you like and you'll get away with it!
This is what I'm saying-what chance have we normal citizens got when the police, at least here in the UK, aren't sure about the rules and regulations because there being changed almost every day. This confusion breeds hate and mistrust and that's exactly what we're seeing on the streets of Britain. There's a kind of equal loathing going on. . .

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I cannot comment on what you are experiencing, obviously, I'm across the pond. As I said, I do not condone nonsensical violence by anyone. But in this video you are not seeing the whole story in my opinion. The video shows cops attempting to apprehend someone. Why? Randomly?

[edit on 17-6-2009 by KEMIK]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

It gets worse here I'm afraid. Not only are our police officers not trained properly but now, due to financial restraints, we have pretend police officers, security wardens, who wander aimlessly about the place like lost souls.They are meant to have the same powers as constables but they don't. If there's any trouble that they can't handle they have to call for a real officer to take control. Honestly, you couldn't make it up! It would be funny if it weren't true. . .
I'm not saying that all police officers are mindless thugs but what I am saying is that due to lack of proper training, finance restraints, constant changing of rules and regulations, etc, and the general dumbing down of potential officers,the law has become an ass and those trying to uphold it have lost touch with reason and are unsure where they stand. Because of this they are just as likely to lose control as you or I. . . What annoys me is that they get away with thuggish behaviour while the rest of us have to take a step back and put up with being abused. Lose your temper for a single second and dare to speak out or fight back and suddenly you become the aggressor and it will be you who ends up spending time in the cells.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join