It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical new theory suggests Earth's magnetism may be linked to movement of ocean currents

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by platoslab

Venus and Mars both contain a magnetosphere. Google is your friend.

let me link an article for you, titled:

Why does Venus lack a magnetic field?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
THAT BEING SAID
I think there's still more to electromagnetism in the universe than we know so far.

That's a whole other thread, along with how gravity really works.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by platoslab

Venus and Mars both contain a magnetosphere. Google is your friend.

Like I asked you did not provide any scientific proof of what you posted. You only replied with more of your own theory.

VENUS: MAGNETIC FIELD AND MAGNETOSPHERE

Venus has:
Mean Radius: 6051.9 km
Mass: 0.814 (Earth=1)
Density: 5.24 (g/cm^3)
Gravity: 0.907 (Earth=1)

Mars has:
Mean Radius: 3389.5 km
Mass: 0.108 (Earth=1)
Density: 3.94 (g/cm^3)
Gravity: 0.380 (Earth=1)

Like I've said before both planets do not have a magnetosphere, however they do have magnetic anomalies which are believed to be mostly caused by solar winds from the Sun sending charged particles to the poles of the planets.

All the data regarding the planets and any object in space has a direct correlation to the mass and density of the planet. I have not seen any data to indicate otherwise.

If you want to get really technical about it gravity isn't even a force. According to current theories based on Albert Einsteins work gravity is just the fabric of space (space+time woven together). The heaver the object in space it pushes the fabric (gravity) downwards attracting objects to it.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by zarlaan]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Indeed, we have several other threads about it too =)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thanks squiz. Not that I really understand all the terms or science.

My take on this seems to agree with the posters who feel that this idea, whether true or not, only highlights the fact that we really have no effing idea what is going on with our planet, the moon and the universe and anyone who claims to is covertly or overtly keeping mankind from the truth.

Off topic semi-rant: I am beginning to doubt that the conspiracy is anything more than stupid people covering their own a$$es because they either have claimed to know the truth when they didn't (i.e. archaeologists) or are followers of those who claimed to know the truth (i.e. egyptologists, specifically Zahi Hawass). Because if the truth were known it would really screw up their cushy livelihoods not to mention destroy their academic reputation. Bah, (resiting urge to engage in a caffeine induced rant.)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by daz__
to squiz,

Hello again,

I have come across information not so very long ago about the digging of an ancient city somewhere in Iraq. They were saying that they found what they called ancient salt water batteries. Sorry I have no links at the moment. Perhaps you would have an idea how these might work..?

thx

daz__

Yeah, pretty simple really yet ingenious. Works similar to this I believe.
How to create a battery out of a lemon.
www.youtube.com...

Also to omniologist, I agree 100%. I would also add that the compartmentalism of sciences is also to blame, we saw a good example in this thread, an electrical engineer who thinks permanent magnets are a mystery and that magnetic fields can exists without electric current.

Likewise astrophysicists are not well versed in plasma physics, they talk of shockwaves and hot gas, instead of double layers and plasma.
Space is not a complete vacuum it is full of charged particles, and magnetic fields permeate space.

Hmmm... Plasma, charged particles, magnetic fields...... what's missing?
electricity of course.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
Other planetary bodies have magnetic fields just fine without water, also the internal dynamo is still just a theory as well, a theory that lacks experimental support.

Magnetic fields are only created by electric currents. The Earth is a charged body within the solar plasma. Any charged body in a plasma will develop a protective cellular wall a Langmuir sheath or plasma double layer. This has been known for a long, long time by experimental plasma physicists.
This double layer is where most of the voltage difference between the two exist. An electric current sustains the separation. This is what we call the magnetosphere.

Even NASA has recently claimed the magnetosphere is powered by the sun through flux ropes transmitting charged particles into the poles.

Before inventing new science they should look at the old stuff first, and even some of the recent observations.

Thanks for the physics if only people would not just rubish new ideas but come up with critical insites as to why the new idead is a non starter. plasma physics is an exotic feild that few even know exists more fool the fool who dose not realise he or she have feet of clay.The main problem is are we observing an effect or a force in the ocean currents interaction with the magnetosphere.

edit on 18-9-2010 by 4shore? because: failed to add comment.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Interesting find. S&F.

...Love it when threads like this get bumped back up. Missed it first time around.

Seems to me that like most things, Earth's magnetism results from a system involving numerous factors. And the ocean currents' movements may be a critical factor - along with other factors like the earth's core and the sun's charged particles.

So everything plays a role, and helps keep the system functioning.

...Why is it so hard for some minds to get past the idea of single-cause-single-effect?

Granted though, if the BP oil "spill" really did impact the Gulf Loop Current, we could be up for a bit of trouble...

BP Oil Spill Stalls Gulf Loop Current

Gulf Loop Current Stalls from BP Oil Disaster: Global Consequences if Current Fails to Reorganize

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join