It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical new theory suggests Earth's magnetism may be linked to movement of ocean currents

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Radical new theory suggests Earth's magnetism may be linked to movement of ocean currents

www.dailymail.co.uk

New research suggests that Earth’s magnetic field could be produced by ocean currents rather than molten metals swirling around its core as was previously thought.

The controversial new claims, published this week, suggest that the movements of volumes of salt water around the world have been seriously underestimated by scientists as a source of magnetism.

The research could revolutionise geophysics, the study of the Earth’s physical properties and behaviour, in which the idea that magnetism.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Very interesting,I was expecting the article to be hard to understand but its pretty much laymens terms.

So does this mean that there is no molten core in the middle of earth? maybe not.

what happens if you put a big magnet to the sea?...

would we all be fried by solar radiation if the glaciers melt, changing the salt level in the sea?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[color=limegreen]More source:yubanet.com...

[color=limegreen]Full paper:www.iop.org...

[edit on 15-6-2009 by MR BOB]

[edit on 16/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is a very interesting theory!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
so if more freshwater dilutes the salt in the oceans, does that mean we will have less magnetism?

could this be a factor in planet weather cycles?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Great Find! I so hope this is true... if it is then there may not be a solid core with swirling liquid outer core... which begs the question, what is really there?

This could really be the turning point for the hollow earth theory!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Okay, this sounds like propaganda to the Carbon Tax crowd...

Beyond that. Pretty interesting.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Exactly what i was thinking. If the magnetoshpere weakens that means that Solar flares will have a much more dangerous impact on earth.

also maybe earth could heat up more

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i doubt that salt water can create something as powerful as the magnetic field

I don't know, I just don't buy it.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Your OP said :
New research suggests that Earth’s magnetic field could be produced by ocean currents rather than molten metals swirling around its core as was previously thought.

Sure ! I'll believe anything !!!

How about Earth's magnetic fields being produced by an inner sun ?

Makes at least as much sense as the oceans !

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
they got it backwards, (electric) current could drive ocean flow, never the other way around, because charges are attracted by their opposites and once they are recombined, they can no longer be part of ionic currents (d'uh)

what they really need to explain is how the charges are seperated. this takes a lot of energy and a credible mechanism., therefore i predict this will not get anywhere, because argument for GW tax or not, they can't really risk giving the Electric Universe meme any more credibility or worse yet, air time.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I love the fact that people are ridiculing this idea! If you PERSONALLY don't think it is possible, then please say so and tell us why you think why not, don't just flat out say it's a stupid idea and that it's not possible!

Tou guys sound like the people who had peoples guts for garters when they had a famous idea: 'Hey, What if the world isn't FLAT!!!"

I think it is a good theory.
en.wikipedia.org...

Scientific understanding of Earth's internal structure is based on extrapolations of physical evidence that has come from the first few kilometres of Earth's surface, samples brought to the surface from greater depths by volcanic activity, and analysis of the seismic waves that pass through it.

We have only physically been involved with the first few kilometers of the earths surface. In total it is 6,360 KM!

How do we know if there is a giant hollow, a solid iron core or little Aliens running on treadmills producing our magnetism!?

I think it would be a good idea if people started posting sources as well as their own theories for or against the subject of the thread!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm not surprised. They admitted they were taken by surprise not long ago , and 'this changes everything we thought we knew about the magnetosphere, so, I'm not surprised..

Maybe now we get told that, hey, the earth is hollow, omg..

Just to spike the discussion...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Interesting. Yet another example of how presumptuous we are to think we really know much about existence.

I, myself, have never experienced or observed the magnetic affects of saline water flows. But based on what I think is a fact, that magnetic fields always and only co-exists with electricity, could it be possible that the water molecules could generate static electricity through collisions/rubbing together or could it create kinetic electricity through ionic transference?

Could someone who really knows physics help me out here?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This is just another case to show that we really have no idea what goes on down here....let alone up there.

The next thing they are going to say is that we are entering an ice age and that everyone should produce as much carbon as possible in order to warm the Earth up!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
edit to remove double-post. my apologies.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Other planetary bodies have magnetic fields just fine without water, also the internal dynamo is still just a theory as well, a theory that lacks experimental support.

Magnetic fields are only created by electric currents. The Earth is a charged body within the solar plasma. Any charged body in a plasma will develop a protective cellular wall a Langmuir sheath or plasma double layer. This has been known for a long, long time by experimental plasma physicists.
This double layer is where most of the voltage difference between the two exist. An electric current sustains the separation. This is what we call the magnetosphere.

Even NASA has recently claimed the magnetosphere is powered by the sun through flux ropes transmitting charged particles into the poles.

Before inventing new science they should look at the old stuff first, and even some of the recent observations.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It's all about Planet X. It is getting closer and closer and the GVT and the media is covering it up. It was first discovered in the 70s then there was a hush about it. It will cross earth's orbit in 2012. It is all prophechy. There will be two suns- our sun and Planet X and the "mountain tops will tumble into the ocean". Please read up on it. Global warming theory is just another diversion by the media. Planet x is the cause of the strange weather patterns, sun flares, and melting of polar ice caps.

And then there's the chemtrail spraying...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This goes to show what we really know about Earth.

Just think, if this theory proved to be true, that would mean that there may not even be such a molten magma core at the center of Earth....

That would definitely give the Hollow Earth theorists more credibility

Great Find, S&F!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

If a spinning mass (armature) within a medium where there is current flow (say solar winds) is also laterally moving through this charged medium, occurs, will a magnetic field be established? Like a reverse DC motor on a planetary scale. Current flow produces a magnetic field. How about the charged ionisphere moving against the solar wind particles creating the charging of the ionisphere while the earths rotation causes the flow of those ionisphere shells, creating the magnetic field. This magnetic field is the check and balance to keep the ionisphere charge level stable. A self-feeding servo loop of sorts, powered by the solar radiations.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
its funny how they admit there is no real evidence for the theory of an iron core just that it is widely believed

as for hollow earth theory im on the fence for that one, i have yet to be convinced by any theory about the earth, i do find hollow earth a bit far fetched, but it is intriguing and interesting nevertheless

certainly anything is possible

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join