It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Conservatives” Are Single-Largest Ideological Group

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

“Conservatives” Are Single-Largest Ideological Group
Percentage of “liberals” higher this decade than in early ’90s
by Lydia Saad

PRINCETON, NJ -- Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal. This represents a slight increase for conservatism in the U.S. since 2008, returning it to a level last seen in 2004. The 21% calling themselves liberal is in line with findings throughout this decade, but is up from the 1990s.

www.gallup.com...

I just came across this interesting article, and just had to marvel at this news. Of courseI did notice that more people are indeed conservative in their views, but I find it interesting that it doesnt ever reflect that on any of the MSM, save for Fox Channel. What always struck me as odd is the fact that conservative radio, television, and books are almost always on top of their game trumping over liberal outlets everytime. NOw with this, I dont know why some people ridicule Fox or conservative media, when it clearly has better ratings, readers, listeners, than the liberal media outlets combined, and this fact that more Americans identify themselves as conservative.

I also find it interesting how the older the group, the more conservative they are. Maybe is it because they are wiser and learned what liberalsim is all about?

All kidding aside folks, I dont want to turn this into a conservative vs liberal rock'em sock'em fest/ flame war. I just want to hear other thoughts on why conservatism is being scorned, and oldfashioned, when clearly conservatism is more favorable than liberalism.

[edit on 6/15/2009 by GenRadek]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

Interesting article. I actually, think there are three things at work here. First off, whatever philosophy is power is immediately countered by public opinion because politicians stink...
Secondly, it is probably very true that most Americans think of themselves as conservative, but they do not agree with the idea that Conservative == Warmongering Christian, or whatever protrayal is in play that day...or they mistake Libertarianism for Conservatism, also likely. And finally, as you point out, older people are more conservative because they are less willing to change. Therefore, as the American population is getting older (it is) then the percentage of conservatives in relation to the population is higher.

Well, that's my two cents.. spend it how you see fit.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Thanks for that!
Yeah it is pretty interesting to see it. I still wonder why so many in the MSM try and destroy or hide conservatism and bring it down. And so blatantly too! On college campuses we all know that liberalism is the "In" thing to be. But when i go out into the real world I run into more conservatives with a brain, who are nothing like those I met in college. And even those I meet who are liberal, are more moderate than liberal and agree with more conservative ideas. But if you follow MSM and colleges around the US, its almost like you cant even have a conservative thought, or it appears we are all liberal to the bone and there fore our politicians continue to force more nonsense on us. My hometown of Chicago is the best example of idiot lawmakers and liberalism. One: Our spiraling crime/murder rates. Two: our rediculus taxes. Three: Reduculs "feel good" laws that are not even working. Majority of the people i talk to are yearning for more conservatism in our city and county, but there is no way to break the juggernaut that holds our city under seiege that is the "democrat" party, which is more of a joke, than a party.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Heh, both parties seem like jokes to me, honestly. I think most Americans are more libertarian than anything else. They are middle of the road, not wanting government to dictate their lives or the lives of anyone else. They want basic simple services that can adapt to social evolution while still leaving us the option of opting out if we choose not to participant.

Honestly, if the US Gov went back to the basics of the preamble of the consitution, we would probably be ok.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

That is so true. I consider myself conservative, but i do think sometimes I am also libertarian too.
I am extremely dissappointed with both parties and I do think they both suck.

I do believe we need to go back to our constitution and understand what it means and apply it, not "interpret" it and twist the meanings, or worse, look at other countries' laws and use them as basis for our own. The judical branch has no right to create laws, but that is what is happening and I am sick of it.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

True. But in order to release the courts from the responsibility of interpretation of the law, we have to require that the law be clear. Looking at the laws these days is like looking at release notes for a badly managed piece of software. Each line of the law simply edits and existing law by adding a word, changing a word, removing a word, etc. Very few laws are written in plain text anymore.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I really dont like the wording of these laws. All those, "The law blah blahblah, where in, blah blah blah, is herewith, blah blah blah, or in understanding on, blah blah blah, notwithstanding, blah blah, so aso to, so much as, blah blah." It just makes me want to rip my eyes out when I read some of this stuff.

Why cant it be simpler? Like, "Do not murder people". Then you can add under it common sense wording as exceptions, underneath it all, like "killing in self defence is acceptable only when ........" and so on. Or on taxes, or whatever. Its just that the wordings are so complicated and stupid, you can twist them up so bad you can make yes mean no, up means down, and black is white.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Yeah, very much agree with you on that. I think to some extend its traditional to use the old language styles, but more likely they do it to keep it obtuse enough to keep the average lay person out of the law books. Kinda like the Catholics keeping the bible in Latin for so long to control the flow of info to the peasents.

Of course, the single biggest obstical to cleaning up, modernizing, and fixing government is the fact that all laws to do so have to be approved by the people who would have to follow them. Hmm.. wonder what the affect of a national referrendum law would be? Give the people of the US the right to vote a bill to the president's desk directly and even override a veto.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

So true!

But I doubt the govt is going to be willing to give up any power, or allow us regular folk, to fix anything there. Especially if the democrats control both branches. And I am glad we do have conservative justices on the bench but I am worried about more liberal justices coming on by Obama, and allowing for more of this judiciary legislation. *shudders*

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

No I think people tend to become conservative with age. When You spend a lifetime working hard it tends to piss You off when people make idiotic decisions and then turn around and get welfare.

top topics

join