It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers lose access to military data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

The US military has abruptly ended an informal arrangement that allowed scientists access to data on incoming meteors from classified surveillance satellites.

Although the reason for ending the arrangement remains unclear, Weeden notes that it coincides with the launch of a new generation of surveillance satellites. The US$10-billion-plus Space-Based Infrared System will provide a more detailed infrared picture of Earth for battlefield surveillance, early-warning alerts and the US missile defence programme.

www.nature.com...

What is going on here?

This sentence is most curious

The US$10-billion-plus Space-Based Infrared System will provide a more detailed infrared picture of Earth...

Is it because the images would show space critters and UFO's?

It seems UFO's are more easily spotted in infrared than without it...
Google or Youtube infrared UFO and you get a ton of links.

Highly suspicious IMHO

[edit on 15-6-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Interesting indeed!

he was told this spring that he could no longer publicly discuss the classified data to which he had some access

So, thay are not allowed to talk about what they already found? I wonder if they were tracking something "interesting".

-E-

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Let me play devil's advocate here.

Why would the military give anyone access to their latest tech?

I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's just common sense.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

Yep. Ten bucks says those satellites are being pointed elsewhere at the moment...wanna guess the two locations?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The military should still at least continue monitoring the skies for incoming meteors...

Maybe they stopped it because they don't want the scientists to see the huge one on a collision course with Earth and sparking global panic!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
What are those monsters up to now. This smells fishy and is disconcerting to say the least. It's just more ammo for my distrust of the military industrial complex. They are definitely up to something bad. I find it frightening to speculate what they may be up to. They're going to mess something up up there in the atmosphere. Anyone who is capable of sending a satellite (I think it's Galileo) into the solar system with 72lbs of plutonium aboard is irresponsible and insane not to mention a threat to life everywhere.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I forgot to mention that we don't need an early warning system for meteorites and asteroids anyway. If an asteroid hits the Earth it's Gods will anyway. So what the heck. Oh! and nobody deserves an explanation after all we' so much meat. And they underground stys to go wallow in any way.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yep, either they need to 'look at' something else, not new I think since they new it back in the 80's and back 4000 years ago etc.

Or, we on the net have figured out to much ..

new topics

top topics

join