It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe - An answer to "Who am I?" ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
There is:

Sat-chit

Being-consciouness

At the point of asking "Who am I?" The Universe or UinVerse Started to pour forth, attempting to answer that question. Human beings eventually appeared as an answer, and started asking the same question: "Who am I?"

Where ever I go, there I Am.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Originally posted by scratchmane

Human beings eventually appeared as an answer

Why?

But most human beings can't and won't recognize the real meaning of those words, or the scope, in other words, neither the potential those words can bring to someone who can understand.

I can say "i am", but i don't believe myself when i say it, i think i am, but i am not sure.

We can't 'perceive' ourselves, as we 'are', not yet, so basically, we lie to us, we say 'i am', but we don't really believe it.

A dog 'is', never ponders why, or how, just 'is' and lives, a lion eats, why? it doesn't matter, the lion just 'is'. we eat, we think about it, we think about why, we never forget, we haven't gotten to that place yet, we 'think' we are, but we don't really know what.

We ask, we doubt, we say yeah i know, i get it, but we don't.

"Whatever i go, i am never there"

Still a long way to go for us..

Kai

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Kaifan]

Very good post by the way, rarely someone comes and post interesting stuff here? S&F

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
An interesting choice of words. The first thing I thought of after reading your opening post was this.

John 8:57-59 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Divinity.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaifan

Human beings eventually appeared as an answer

Why?

Same reason as to why stars, planets appeared. IOW Humans is not nescesarily the answer, as much as a way to answer it

But most human beings can't and won't recognize the real meaning of those words, or the scope, in other words, neither the potential those words can bring to someone who can understand.

I can say "i am", but i don't believe myself when i say it, i think i am, but i am not sure.

We can't 'perceive' ourselves, as we 'are', not yet, so basically, we lie to us, we say 'i am', but we don't really believe it.

A dog 'is', never ponders why, or how, just 'is' and lives, a lion eats, why? it doesn't matter, the lion just 'is'. we eat, we think about it, we think about why, we never forget, we haven't gotten to that place yet, we 'think' we are, but we don't really know what.

We ask, we doubt, we say yeah i know, i get it, but we don't.

"Whatever i go, i am never there"

Still a long way to go for us..

Kai

The very fact that you question your own existence, is proof that you do indeed exist.

But who is asking the questions?

Who am I?

[edit on 15-6-2009 by scratchmane]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
We are whats left of the God's, they left everything they knew on this plantet and other ones like this, for us. We are here to continue what they started and that is to make the universe a whole place, a place where we all can be together instead of being seprated. I believe we were put here first, over long period of time, while they were dying they set things up so we can unite everything again. We are the most advance and we will unite the Universe and learning what the Gods knew and then we can truly be God's or self.

That or we are just part of a cell in a giant living creature, somthing crazy like that.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Same reason as to why stars, planets appeared

That would be the same point, why do the starts and planets appeared? we don't know, can't know, we don't really understand.

The very fact that you question your own existence, is proof that you do indeed exist.

Is not that i am questioning my own existence, but questioning the nature of that existence.

When you say "there i am", you are then forming an image, physical, emotional, full of things, i am, this is what i am, here, or there, but this set of things are what i am.

And there's the real question, that's what we 'think' we are, but not what we really are. when we manage to go beyond thinking 'I am', then, at that moment, we will 'be'.

"Who i am"

The question in itself, always leads to the same question.

If we could understand 'why', there will be no need to ask 'who'

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paveway27
We are whats left of the God's, they left everything they knew on this plantet and other ones like this, for us. We are here to continue what they started and that is to make the universe a whole place, a place where we all can be together instead of being seprated. I believe we were put here first, over long period of time, while they were dying they set things up so we can unite everything again. We are the most advance and we will unite the Universe and learning what the Gods knew and then we can truly be God's or self.

That or we are just part of a cell in a giant living creature, somthing crazy like that.

I think you might like to read this:

The Last Question

It goes a little on the same subject as your comment, but with a little twist

Kai

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaifan

Same reason as to why stars, planets appeared

That would be the same point, why do the starts and planets appeared? we don't know, can't know, we don't really understand.

The point is, the UinVerse appeared as a way to answer the question "Who am I?"

Is not that i am questioning my own existence, but questioning the nature of that existence.

When you say "there i am", you are then forming an image, physical, emotional, full of things, i am, this is what i am, here, or there, but this set of things are what i am.

And there's the real question, that's what we 'think' we are, but not what we really are. when we manage to go beyond thinking 'I am', then, at that moment, we will 'be'.

"Who i am"

The question in itself, always leads to the same question.

If we could understand 'why', there will be no need to ask 'who'

It seems that the question asked here is "Why am I?"

It's different than "Who am I?"

Why the UinVerse is in existence(from the human body POV), is to answer the question: "Who am I?"

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is an extremely important question.

One that is overlooking by just about everyone. I think my answers are going to be a little bit more "physical" than the ones above me, but that isn't necisarrily a bad thing.

"Who am I? This or the other?

Am I one person today and tomorrow another?

Am I both at once? A hypocrite before others,

And before myself a contemptibly woebegone weakling?

Or is something within me still like a beaten army,

Fleeing in disorder from victory already achieved?

Who am I? They mock me, these lonely questions of mine.

Whoever I am, Thou knowest, 0 God, I am Thine!"

You are whoever you want to be.
You are you.

Love&Light

Jacob

[edit on 15/6/2009 by JacobNH]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

The point is, the UinVerse appeared as a way to answer the question "Who am I?"

That's something we don't know, i mean, who asked "Who i am" that caused the universe to appear?

It seems that the question asked here is "Why am I?"

It's different than "Who am I?"

Why the UinVerse is in existence(from the human body POV), is to answer the question: "Who am I?"

If i knew 'why am i', then there would be no need to ask who am i, since it will be clear why we exist and then we would know who we are.

Reality as we know it is very fragile, it is not 'true', it depends on our own view of the world, the things we see, are not necesarely that way, we just think they are.

At this point in our evolution, we can't say "I am" just yet, and if we try to say i am, then first comes the question, what are we? what's the purpose?, if we don't know the purpose, then we can't say, i am, because we might think we are a certain 'entity', and we really are something complete different, but don't know, that's just what we are guessing.

There's more to it than just saying "I am", there are several implications and this question, it can't just be answered with a simple "I am", because we don't understand our own nature.

Have you read the short story i linked a few posts back, The Last Question?, it kind of talks of this in a way, very interesting read.

Kai

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by scratchmane

“There is:

Sat-chit

Being-consciouness

At the point of asking "Who am I?" The Universe or UinVerse Started to pour forth, attempting to answer that question. Human beings eventually appeared as an answer, and started asking the same question: "Who am I?"

Where ever I go, there I Am.”

Is ‘I am’ not the ego, or self?

Human beings are not the answer but are the universe’s way of ‘positing’ the question?

The question is not ‘who am I?’ but ‘what am I’

‘I am’ cannot answer this question! Can you see why this is?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by scratchmane

Hello...I would agree that What am I? is a better question, since it is more open-ended, and does not imply a being at the centre. Ultimately though, the answer to the question is the dissolution of the questioner itself. When the one who questions is seen as illusion, the question also evaporates, and then suddenly you see that you are the answer, and so is everything else. What you are left with is the experience of being the very thing you sought. Further questions such as: how do I live in this world with integrity...how do I love all creation are no longer there because you become exactly that....hard to explan, but there are quite a few ATS members who can speak to this.

]

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Silenceisall]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Interesting discussion. Thank you. Let's have a go at it then.

We are matter. We are matter with a conscious need to matter. We have a need to have mattered to someone or something. Humans collectively are searching for individual value.

Because we exist, there is a need in the universe for the human organism. We are - that it could be - more.

For now we flounder in our own waste unsure of our organization or even our very organism. Distancing ourselves from the nature from which we emerged in an effort to feel distinction from the other beasts on which we place our burden. We stand not of but over in our own illusion of our separateness.

Because we exist there is purpose in our human abilities. Because our sentient human abilities are so diverse there is purpose in our individuality. Our purpose lies in our innate talents each is born with. We have yet to structure a society to foster those talents because we stand not beside one another but artificially over and under each other to order our individual value. Because we still focus on what we can do for ourselves, we have not the insight to ask what it is we can do for our universe which spawned us from the elements of star dust in order that it could BE - something more - something more than it is or was - without us. We are life - wanting, needing to exist - and for our existence to have mattered.

Thanks for all who continue to question. Nice thread.

Peace.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

You are correct of course Silenceisall, indeed that is why ‘I am’ cannot answer who, what or why!
I seem to recall the great Krishnamurti once being asked ‘who are you’ and his response was ‘life’. It is the same when it is postulated that the universe asks itself ‘what am I?’ the answer must be…the universe.
These type of questions can of course be valuable but only if they lead us into real insights and realizations about the true nature of thought , the ego, etc…

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I invite you all to watch this series of youtube videos, featuring spiritual teacher Adyashanti. There are many out there who have seen deeply into the nature of reality, but he expresses that reality with phenomenal clarity and humour. If you are legitimately and authentically interested in what you are, his "direct path" may help.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

I look forward to watching these videos, thanks for the recommendation and link.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I read "the Last question". Very interesting to be sure. Reversing entropy?

Entropy makes a house crumble down and become rubble, only consciousness can make rubble into a house.

The opposing force of entropy is consciousness?

So when we live unconsciously we live entropic?

I'll still say that "who/what am I?" is a precursor to "why am I?"

Lets say that the reason I exist is to make babies, continuing the human race. Having a sense of direction does not illuminate who/what it is that is travelling said direction.

Now I am not saying that an answer can be had, I am asking if that is the reason for creation. Hence the question mark.

And I could argue that the replies found here illucidates the inherrent problem of asking "Who am I?"
The answer seems like it can't be told to another, you have to see it for yourself.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Interesting questions. I have recently been considering identity and the self. Before I start, I ask you to excuse my fatigue-inspired incoherence, but I'll certainly do my best to reign it in. If we start on the issue of what consciousness itself is, we will be here for millenia, so I'll just stick to my concept of "The Individual", that is to say "Who/What *I* Am". My two penneth:

The way I identify myself (and others identify themselves) is mostly a matter of necessity and perspective. I'll admit I ramble here, but do bear with it.

Consider our position in the universe for something of an illustration of what I mean. We marvel at the fortunate circumstances in which we exist, I.E. conditions that are just right for life. But it is not lucky. For us to exist, we *must* exist in the circumstances that are conducive to the emergence of life; just as every other circumstance has *not* given rise to life (and thus, observers). However, from our physical point of view, we are privileged.

I see identity in the same way. We are all similar and mundane, but feel individual out of necessity. It is only because each of us is bound in our physical point of view (the brain etc). From this point of view everything revolves around us, almost in a mini-parallel to the Ptolemaic view of the universe.

If we are the Universe's way of observing itself* we are all the same, just looking from different points of view that we happen to identify as our individual selves.

Depressing, but in my view as outlined above, there is no room for a defining essence for every individual person, no matter how unique we believe we are. Just varying degrees of sameness (which is where personality comes in).

*(and I'm not saying we are, as I can't quite fully commit to any given model for the existence of the universe)

join