It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

language

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
one of my friends asked me a good question the other day: Who invented language? I dont think there is a correct answer here but just thought i'd bring it up.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think it was the natural progression from the guttural grunts that animals made. As humans evolved, and the brain became larger, the noises turned into recognized sounds, which would then turn into a language over time.

But, the study of how languages develop is utterly fascinating. I recommend a book called "Mother Tongue", which charts out the progression of modern languages especially English and European, from ancient ones. I'm afraid I don't oknow the author's name. I borrowed the book some time ago.

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well since there are different languages its difficult to tell

Well actually the first form has to be the cavemans' grunt right? isnt that how languages developed?

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
From what I learned in school, the first recognizable language (written) was ProtoIndoEuropean. However, I don't think there is any particular person or group that you could point to as the progenitors of language. It's also important to differentiate between written and spoken language. We have no way of knowing what the first spoken language was since there can be no real record of it.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It's a very interesting question, and linguistic theory is fascinating.
Try to think without having the thoughts turned into words.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Some faiths are based on the belief that God ae us language and then the written word.

Im new school and like how american vernicular has dialects/slang. I never liked all the rules to language taught in english class. I learned more about nouns,pronouns,verbs, ect. taking spanish in grade school than sitting in english class.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This was a question in the awesome movie of "WAKING LIFE".
The person explaining it listed several examples

1. Language was a form of connecting.

We didn't really know each other but we wanted to. Language allows us to share feelings.

2. For hunting purposes.

If a tiger was behing you someone would yell TIGER and you would know a wild animal is after you.

3. As we evolve we needed language.

Without language would we have this much technology.

They are probably many other reasons including religion and learning etc.

Language is what makes the world go around

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
what language does a deaf person think in? if they have never heard English or any other language then how do they think?

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well, just because they're deaf doesn't mean they're beyond comprehending english or any other language.
Just as we learn words by associating them with objects, they can do so as well. Pronunciation, etc., would be off, though, as they could not hear themselves or others speak, and conceptualizing certain things would be difficult, I imagine.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Their comminicating mind is wired differently. They know what language they are taught american sign, written stuff. I wonder if the see differently with their different mind set.

new topics

top topics

join