It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

volunteer to travel into the future?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
from Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org...
Time dilation would make it possible for passengers in a fast-moving vehicle to travel further into the future while aging very little, in that their great speed slows down the rate of passage of on-board time. That is, the ship's clock (and according to relativity, any human travelling with it) shows less elapsed time than the clocks of observers on Earth. For sufficiently high speeds the effect is dramatic. For example, one year of travel might correspond to ten years at home. Indeed, a constant 1 g acceleration would permit humans to travel as far as light has been able to travel since the big bang (some 13.7 billion light years) in one human lifetime. The space travellers could return to Earth billions of years in the future. A scenario based on this idea was presented in the novel Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle.

If you were given the opportunity to travel maybe 100 years into the future, would you go? or thousands of years into the future? For fear of the earth not being habitable anymore I probably wouldn't go, but it would be one hell of a journey.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Jun 15 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I'd go without a doubt. I'd never turn down an adventure and it'd be so interesting to see everything even if it was barren

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by porky1981

I would if it's a round-trip ticket in time. Just imagine how you could benefit the future of humanity.

If your memory of the future is retained after coming back to present time, you can be used a 'consequence validator'

Even without coming back to the future over and over, your memories of the future will be dynamically changed based on the present action of humanity after you made the time travel. If you tell people to do this, you will immediately see(remember) the changes or the future consequence! Makes you the perfect world leader, lol!!!

May not work however if traveling back in time, creates a parallel universe with a different outcome.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I wouldn't want to go into the future, back into the past maybe before modern civilization.

The future sucks as far as i am concerned. People will just keep losing there rights, and rights they have they do not even know about, will also be lost forever.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Its already been done and being done, thats the real purpose of the LHC aka stargate. I am being deadly serious

[edit on 15-6-2009 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I would never knock back a trip to the future - as long as I could come back. 100 years into the future I would be alone with no friends of family, so I would not want to stay.

But, I really have a connection with the past. I am a huge 20s, 30s and 40s collector and would love to travel back to my favourite era - the late 30s - to visit the jazz scene in Harlem. I would want to take plenty of cash with me though as things were not easy in the 30s.

I am also open to the belief that time travel is and has been possible for some time. I just can't rule it out.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by swinggal
I would never knock back a trip to the future - as long as I could come back. 100 years into the future I would be alone with no friends of family, so I would not want to stay.

But, I really have a connection with the past. I am a huge 20s, 30s and 40s collector and would love to travel back to my favourite era - the late 30s - to visit the jazz scene in Harlem. I would want to take plenty of cash with me though as things were not easy in the 30s.

I am also open to the belief that time travel is and has been possible for some time. I just can't rule it out.

Uhm, you dont think you'd be arrested for counterfeiting money ?
There are major differences in the currency of then and now.
Also if you travel back in time you alter history in some sense by participating in anything.
All you could safely do is quietly observe.
And not much of anything else.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
People would be fighting over the oppurtunity.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
as long as i can have a bending robot as a best friend and work as a delivery boy. that would be so cool

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Also if you travel back in time you alter history in some sense by participating in anything. All you could safely do is quietly observe. And not much of anything else.

Well, actually, no one really knows what would happen. We have been bombarded with what pop culture would have us THINK would happen; eg paradoxes with seeing yourself, changing the future etc. But who can really say?

Unless someone has time-travelled and can tell us what happens...it is all speculation.

new topics

top topics

join