It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC man uses bland traffic control equipment to create grand roadside distraction... Jailed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
Hmm, maybe you are right...

Seeing things your way, I will go to a designer jeans store and steal some of their jeans and wear them.

This way, the same job is being done... getting the designer's name out there and also covering my butt in nice jeans.

Ohh... wait... the designer won't be getting any money for their jeans, just like the contractor who laid out money for the traffic cones is out that money. Hmmph, details!

Are you staying inside of the store, exactly where the pants would be advertised, dressed as a giant pants monster?

-The statue was made out of orange reflective barrels.

-Every one of those barrels looks exactly the same as the next.

-The statue was in the same area as the other few hundred orange reflective barrels.

-The statue would have (without a doubt) slowed down traffic more so than three more of the same repetitive reflective orange barrels would have, which is exactly what they're supposed to do.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

The idea behind the barrels is also to stop vehicles from going where they shouldn't, isn't it? Their purpose is not simply to slow down traffic, it's usually to guide traffic into certain lanes. Either because it might endanger the occupants of the vehicle or the construction crew working in the area.

Despite what you might think of the aesthetic qualities of the barrel monster, it was made with private property. The artist vandalized private property.

Can I go to your house and spay graffiti on all your outside/inside walls simply because I believe it makes it prettier? No. Because it's your private property. Pragmatically, I haven't harmed your house as the walls still serve their purpose, that is, keeping the elements out. If anything, the extra paint I've added improves your house's insulation. Something like this, perhaps?

By your logic above, that's all good.

[edit on 18/6/09 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan

Hmm, maybe you are right...

Seeing things your way, I will go to a designer jeans store and steal some of their jeans and wear them.

This way, the same job is being done... getting the designer's name out there and also covering my butt in nice jeans.

Ohh... wait... the designer won't be getting any money for their jeans, just like the contractor who laid out money for the traffic cones is out that money. Hmmph, details!

Are you staying inside of the store, exactly where the pants would be advertised, dressed as a giant pants monster?

So it is okay to steal the jeans, as long as I stay in the store like a mannequin?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Those barrels aren't there to slow down traffic. They are intended to divert traffic, keep them off the shoulder and/or protect road workers.

Speed limit signs that come before the road construction are intended to slow down traffic.

Besides, he is charged with a misdemeanor. He will be fined for the cost of destroyed barrels and possibly community service. The punishment fits the crime.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

So it is okay to steal the jeans, as long as I stay in the store like a mannequin?

That wouldn't be stealing, it'd be called "trying them on."

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
He got 50 hours of community service

raleigh.mync.com...

by Shirley Min, NBC17, 7 hours, 1 minute ago
Updated: Jul. 21 3:36 pm
RALEIGH, N.C. -

It wasn't a political statement about ongoing construction on Hillsborough Street.

It was just some art that was meant to make people smile.

That's what "Barrel Monster" creator Joseph Carnevale said Tuesday after appearing in a Wake County courtroom on misdemeanor larceny and destruction of property charges.

Carnevale was arrested June 10 after reassembling construction barrels into a 10-foot monster.

A judge ordered the NC State student to 50 hours of community service for stealing barrels owned by Hamlet Construction, and turning them into a hitchhiking creation back in May.

"I don't know if it was a slow night, but still if a cop pulls up, and even when somebody's not complaining, if the owner of the property admits that somebody did it without permission, police still feel an obligation to start a case for it," said Carnevale.

Carnevale admits what he did was illegal, but still can't believe his "Barrel Monster," that was meant to be part prank, part art, led to all of this.

"What I do with all my art is just try to make something funny that people laugh at," said Carnevale.

Carnevale intends to help out the non-profit Habitat for Humanity.

Despite the trouble, the artist says he's proud of his work -- both legal and illegal.

Carnevale must complete his hours by Oct. 30 when he's due back in court, at which time, all charges could be dismissed.

Meanwhile, Carnevale says instead of restitution, the construction company he stole from wants the "Barrel Monster" back to use for advertising and publicity purposes.

Community and online fans brought national support to drop the charges against Carnevale. He said a Facebook "fan" page in favor of the barrel monster was set up by supporters and friends.

Raleigh police dismantled the barrel monster shortly after discovering it.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
So this company, after pressing charges on him, now wants the creation back. He should copyright the idea and make them pay to use it or something...dicks.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
What a great work of art for real. Hopefully he can pay for the damage to the barrels and get on with his life. Someone always has to spoil it for everyone else who's enjoying it.

Star and flag to make you smile

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join